The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning 20 minute Interview on 1040

Rate this topic

Provost

That seems like a particularly revealing 20 minute interview.

Not entirely surprised at the direction as much as with the disclosure.  It doesn't seem to leave much room for Marky in Van for the long term.

Very curious if JB is receiving indications of interest in RFAs with willingness to receive salary from the Canucks along with the RFA.  There might be a stronger market than we think.

• Upvote 1

Some good stuff here. 

- Needing two goalies to succeed in today's NHL

- Markstrom has earned the right to explore free agency

- Demko is ready to be a #1 starter, next year or the year after

- Sounded doubtful they can re-sign Toffoli, Tanev AND Markstrom. Who's the odd man out? Markstrom or Toffoli?

- Motte, Tanev and Leivo will be re-signed

- Pumped up Virtanen's tires, perhaps advertising a Sale

- Regarding Eriksson and Sutter - they'll talk internally to try and find a solution

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Anyone trying to read the tea leaves on the offseason should listen to this.

My takeaways:

- They will re-sign Motte and Leivo

- Demko is the goalie of the future and that means the contract offer to Markstrom won’t have a NMC

- Expect young RFAs to be moved,  Virtanen and Stecher seem like casualties.  Maybe even a guy like Gaudette 

- he sees Demko as a starter either next season or the year after, that probably means the offer to Markstrom isn’t longer than 3 years.

- they are going to try to move money out

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/benning-suppose-there-s-a-chance-of-re-signing-markstrom-tanev-toffoli-but-dependent-on-moving-money-out-1.1522243

I got the feeling that Benning is offering Markstrom an Edler like contract, 2 years except no NMC. He said Demko will be a starter next year or a year from now and alluding to a stagnant cap for a couple of years I feel like he will offer Markstrom 2 years with a higher cap hit and then let him get a bigger contract after but at that point.. at his age idk if its worth it. I feel like the Avs will be able to offer him a pretty nice deal.

29 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Players will sign for much less this summer than expected. The money is not there, anywhere in the league.

Players are going to have to accept lower, short term deals or sign in KHL.

I kind of think low budget teams like Ottawa might make a splash signing players for less than they would, but for more than other teams can afford

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some good stuff here. 

- Needing two goalies to succeed in today's NHL

- Markstrom has earned the right to explore free agency

- Demko is ready to be a #1 starter, next year or the year after

- Sounded doubtful they can re-sign Toffoli, Tanev AND Markstrom. Who's the odd man out? Markstrom or Toffoli?

- Motte, Tanev and Leivo will be re-signed

- Pumped up Virtanen's tires, perhaps advertising a Sale

- Regarding Eriksson and Sutter - they'll talk internally to try and find a solution

He said Motte and Leivo but he did not say Tanev will be re-signed. He said he would try to work something out it. Looks like it's going to depend on want Tanev wants cause there will be other teams that will be able to offer him more.

The Canucks may not be in terrible cap shape without completely shedding Eriksson's contract if:

1. they can bury a portion of Eriksson's and Sutter's contracts in the minors;
  2. they either walk away from or trade Virtanen and Stecher;
  3. they can obtain some certainty about Ferland prior to next season;
  4. they don't re-sign either Markstrom or Toffoli to exorbitant contracts.  Probably going to be impossible to sign both; and
  5. they really do promote from within such as with Juolevi and Rafferty.

I actually think that Ferland's situation is the most tricky.  His situation means that they probably need to treat their cap situation as if he will in fact be on the roster.  That's $3.5M in cap space that they need to keep around in case he's healthy at any point in the season.  Ferland has a NMC next year so he can't be demoted and he can't be traded and I highly doubt he would agree to be traded.  If Ferland is willing to be traded however, then maybe a low cap team might be willing to take him on along with acquiring one of our young RFAs.  Can't see that happening though.

Of course if they can find a way to completely shed Eriksson's and Sutter's contracts, then they would be in amazing shape, but that's presumably a pipe dream.

It might sting to lose 1-2 young players / prospects, but I believe Benning can get the job done by trades.  Not sure what that would look like.

Once Virtanen and Stecher are re-signed.

E.g.

Eriksson, Virtanen and a pick to __ for __?

Sutter and Stecher to __ for __?

• Cheers 1

One impression that I got from Benning is that he will make an offer to Markstrom that Markstrom likely won’t find suitable (which will prompt Marky to test free agency).   Benning seems quite confident in Demko moving forward, but will make sure that the Canucks have another good goalie back there regardless of what Markstrom decides.  Benning stresse dthe importance of having two good goalies, but didn’t necessarily say that they’d be Markstrom and Demko.

There have been some rumblings that Toffoli wants to head back to California but I didn’t get the impression from Benning at all.  

I think Gaudette, Virtanen, and Stecher could be either used as sweetener to move bad contracts, or be unqualified (in Stech’s case?)

Edited by DarkIndianRises

If Ferland retires could they keep the RFA's?  Stecher and Gaudette need to be resign for sure and I still want Virtanen back.  Got to admit listening to that interview increased my faith in Benning now get to work Jim!

27 minutes ago, tas said:

benning's best trait is that he's been entirely truthful in every interview he's given since the day he was hired, if you know how to read between the lines.

he's never been cagey or greasy like gillis was. 

In the beginning JB said what he learned from Pat Quinn was to respect players. Hence he's being upfront and honest with players with what he knows. That will attract and gain players trust and loyalty for the organization. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, billabong said:

jimbo has become more honest in his interviews as of late compared to years past and I like it :emot-parrot:

Nothing earth shattering here, but his comments are directly sending a message to markstroms camp that they are content with demko so if you wanna stay its on our terms or you can go somewhere else; we dont really care.

He also pointed out that Toffoli is high on his priority list of things to do this summer (fall?) 

He was a bit too honest his first few years. Lol. Hopefully this means he finds a healthy medium between spilling too many beans and not saying anything.