The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning 20 minute Interview on 1040

Rate this topic

Provost

48 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I would sign Toffoli to a 4 year deal than Pearson to a 3 year the following off-season if he's willing to take a team friendly too. Both of their deals would be expiring when Hog/Pod ELCs are up and perhaps when Hughes's potential bridge deal is too.

I wouldn't do anymore than 4 years for Tanev too, preferably less though.

The kicker would be what Marky signs for if he stays here. If we let him go we save cap but we can't really afford to give any NMC if we want to keep Demko. That's why if I was JB I would be really pushing for a 1 year deal.

Ditto on all of that.

Marky's REALLY going to need to want to stay and win here the next couple seasons to sign. Zero chance he signs a 1 year IMO. But yeah, any NMC is off the table regardless. He may be Benning's first priority, but I feel he's also the least likely of the three to re-up. We simply can't afford more than $5.5-$6, 4 years and zero NMC/ED protection with Demko coming up. And even then, he's got one more year, maybe two before he's moved in favour of Demko starting anyway. It'll be interesting!

47 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Baer will be sent down again (whatever down looks like), it saves the 1 mil. You'd think he'd like to be playing in Europe vs sitting at home, its been a long time since he's seen any playing time. But I guess thats his prerogative but he could end up going 18 months without seeing competitive games if he's stuck on some AHL practice roster bubble. Not sure thats a career rejuvenating move. 

I wonder what it would really take to shed Sutter. I just have no idea who would trade for him now that so many teams are apparently putting in a 70 mil internal cap. 

Yup, demoted is another (and perhaps most likely) option. If we're REALLY pinched, he could even be bought out for the extra ~$600k of cap it would save. But retaining would effectively do the same with no penalty the following year. Is a 1 year, $1.6m Baer that bad of a gamble for a team short of middle 6 F's...? Who knows? Getting someone to bite on the full contract would certainly cost though.

1 minute ago, Mo Grit said:

Frankly, I wouldn't sign either.

Don't see them being part of a Cup winning Canuck team in 2/3years.

If their mutual Vegas wiltings are any indication of character.

Leaving the heavy lifting to young Pettersson was shameful, but they weren't alone.

Time to see how Benning's promising draft picks handle pressure.

Not sure about Pearson (who I think his 'bad play' is being overstated and is one of our go to PK'ers) but Toffoli was definitely playing hurt. I don't think it was a matter of 'wilting'.

2 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Toffoli isn't going anywhere, you just can't buy that kind of skill and cup experience.

It certainly helps that Toffoli loves playing for VAN and wants to stay. He could probably fetch $6+ on the open market, but I think he'll sign for $5 to stay here. He sees the team forming into a championship contender and wants to be a part of it. Having Pearson as his team mate again is a bonus.

...... Not sure about Pearson (who I think his 'bad play' is being overstated and is one of our go to PK'ers) but Toffoli was definitely playing hurt. I don't think it was a matter of 'wilting'.

If you're correct aGENT (usually are) then our coaching wilted by making them play injured.

But, I wouldn't re-sign up our bench coaching staff either.

Don't think they actually see what they're looking at.

We played out the last game with like, 5 triers - 3 of them were rookies.

Having Pearson as his team mate again is a bonus.

...... you just can't buy that kind of skill and cup experience

I wouldn't want their kind of skill and cup experience they showed against Vegas, even if it was free.

Other team mates must have carried them to their cups.

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Neither of those guys can defend at a high level (though Hughes can develop into something decent as he gets older)..  Tanev and Edler both need to be replaced at some point (neither are getting any younger).  Those are the ONLY two guys that can defend at a high level right now on the blueline.  You can't expect *any* goalie to sustain that level of performance throughout multiple seasons without resorting to a "Jacques Lemaire style offense" once those two guys are gone.

I would say Hughes is a better defender than Edler just because he spends a lot of time with the puck in the offensive zone. The best defense is not having to play defense.

Edler's poor gap control and slow foot speed now that he's old makes him a negative possession player and more susceptible to being scored on. Of course, he's a warrior because it's not his choice to play 25 minutes a night, but he's one of the reasons we get hemmed in our own zone so much. 

Tanev is very solid still, but is quickly approaching the age where that might be an issue. 

As a result, I really don't think replacing Edler and Tanev will hurt our defense that much, if the replacements are younger, and more fleet-footed defensemen who can prevent having to defend in the first place, and help control possession.

Either way, no goalie is going to play the way Markstrom did vs STL and Demko did vs VGK consistently.

Edited by Grape

9 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Having both goalies for next year would be great, but their trade value is almost certain to drop the closer we get to the expansion draft.  Demko's value could be pretty high right now and if we're going to move him, now might be the best time. 

Not that I want to see that happen.  Letting Marky walk right now probably does the least long-term damage to the team.  But you can definitely argue it both ways. 

It's a tough call.  We'll be finding out within a month what the Canucks decide to do

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I'm wondering if we might even be able to squeeze Toffoli at/near his current hit of $4.6 or to maybe $4.8'ish +/- if he wants to be here bad enough/he's not likely getting offers much above $5 elsewhere anyway IMO.

$4.8 here, where he wants to be, is not far off $5.2 somewhere he doesn't, for instance.

Same goes for Tanev. He might be able to get closer to $5 elsewhere but...

The reality is, with covid cap, guys are going to have to take hair cuts on cap and term if they truly want to 'keep the band together'. And no sour grapes to anyone who goes for the money elsewhere.

And yeah, Stecher maybe we can retain if we can wiggle out of Benn but Virtanen is gone IMO. We can sign Leivo cheap, we have MacEwan and as you note, guys like Lind, Hoglander, Jasek etc who can all push for spots. Not to mention Podkolzin (game changer IMO) likely arriving a couple months in to the season.

Sutter and Baer are hopefully both moveable with retention (not expecting much/any return). Eriksson for sure will cost though.

Yeah, I think favourable term would make up for little to no raise in salary for Tanev and Toffoli.  Something like 3-4 years for Tanev, maybe 4-5 for Toffoli.  Hard to know exactly how dire a market this is going to be for UFAs though, and maybe JB can stick it to them harder than that.  Not that I'd encourage it!

All good with Leivo back, hopefully Stetcher too.  Happy trails to Virtanen, Sutter and Benn.

• Cheers 1

As a result, I really don't think replacing Edler and Tanev will hurt our defense that much, if the replacements are younger, and more fleet-footed defensemen who can prevent having to defend in the first place, and help control possession.

Agreed Grape.

Both signing cheaper contracts to anchor our 3rd pairing would be reasonable gratitude for the career they've had in Vancouver.

With Myers and Hughes as 1st D, and Olli on the 2nd D we'd only be needing for one D to step up from Utica.

There's a few candidates in the running.  I'd prefer this over signing another largely disinterested Benn type.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Ditto on all of that.

Marky's REALLY going to need to want to stay and win here the next couple seasons to sign. Zero chance he signs a 1 year IMO. But yeah, any NMC is off the table regardless. He may be Benning's first priority, but I feel he's also the least likely of the three to re-up. We simply can't afford more than $5.5-$6, 4 years and zero NMC/ED protection with Demko coming up. And even then, he's got one more year, maybe two before he's moved in favour of Demko starting anyway. It'll be interesting!

Yup, demoted is another (and perhaps most likely) option. If we're REALLY pinched, he could even be bought out for the extra ~$600k of cap it would save. But retaining would effectively do the same with no penalty the following year. Is a 1 year, $1.6m Baer that bad of a gamble for a team short of middle 6 F's...? Who knows? Getting someone to bite on the full contract would certainly cost though.

Marky insisting on some kind of NTC or NMC could be a deal breaker.  He may have to rely on a high salary to keep himself safe in the expansion draft but they're not going to want to pay too much either.  The more you go through the logic with Marky and Demko, it gets stickier particularly since they don't appear to want to make a decision on one or the other

The thing with Baertschi is that he is certainly good enough to be an NHL player.  He has been putting up north of 0.5 ppg for a couple of years which is generally the top 6 threshold.  He would be a good 3rd line player on a good team.  He has also shown a willingness to go to difficult areas.  So why can't he be moved?  He's on the small side and is low on grit but could be a nice complimentary piece on a team with plenty of that.  I would like to think that it's a matter of finding the right partner.  Maybe with some salary retained.  My fingers are crossed with Baer.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Marky insisting on some kind of NTC or NMC could be a deal breaker.  He may have to rely on a high salary to keep himself safe in the expansion draft but they're not going to want to pay too much either.  The more you go through the logic with Marky and Demko, it gets stickier particularly since they don't appear to want to make a decision on one or the other

The thing with Baertschi is that he is certainly good enough to be an NHL player.  He has been putting up north of 0.5 ppg for a couple of years which is generally the top 6 threshold.  He would be a good 3rd line player on a good team.  He has also shown a willingness to go to difficult areas.  So why can't he be moved?  He's on the small side and is low on grit but could be a nice complimentary piece on a team with plenty of that.  I would like to think that it's a matter of finding the right partner.  Maybe with some salary retained.  My fingers are crossed with Baer.  

Keep the AAV low (relatively... say $5.5) but have a large bonus due immediately after expansion. Problem solved.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Grape said:

I would say Hughes is a better defender than Edler just because he spends a lot of time with the puck in the offensive zone. The best defense is not having to play defense.

You still need guys not physically small In defensive  zone starts.  And I don’t mean Hall Gill types (they have to be able to play the game decently enough).  Hughes isn’t going to match up well against big power forwards in front of our net.  Not that Tanev is big by any stretch but even at this stage in his career, pretty much the only guy better than him without the puck defensively is Edler.

8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Ottawa is committed to building through draft. They might try and add one, but I don't think ownership there is willing to take big contracts right  now.

yes I agree, but I think they might get good contracts because other teams cannot afford big contracts

but who am I kiddding, its Ottawa, they will find a way to screw it up

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

The majority of teams with cap space to sign them, aren't competitive. That's their call. Good money here on a young, competitive team full of close team mates or better money/term elsewhere.

It's pretty straightforward.

Money all day every day. We will see.

I can only think of 3 players taking pay cuts?

Kariya 

Hossa

Teemu 

If you take a pay cut you have to give something else in return....no trade.

Because if you take a pay cut your instantly more tradeable.

Edited by Chris12345

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Keep the AAV low (relatively... say $5.5) but have a large bonus due immediately after expansion. Problem solved.

Lol contract structure for a 5x6mill contract

2020-2021 salary - $750,000

2021 July 1st signing bonus - $26.75 mill

2021-2022 salary - $750 000

2022-2023 salary - $750 000

2023-2024 salary - $750 000

2024-2025 salary - $750 000

:bigblush:

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Vintage 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

The league will not approve a contract like this one.

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

The maximum combined signing bonus will be limited to 10% of the player's maximum annual compensation in any year. Entry Level players may negotiate for performance bonuses up to a maximum of $850,000 in individual "Schedule A" bonuses per year (maximum of $212,500 per bonus).