The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I would offer try to trade for his rights and then offer him 1m a year with 9m signing bonus for the first 5 years then drop that down to like 1.5m 6m bonus try to get him on an average in high 8s.

heck all Aquilini has to do is add an extra floor to all of his buildings to cover that (and not tell the city about them).

This is also reminiscent of the all-in cap gamble the Blackhawks took landing Hossa to that huge contract.  They needed that Selke caliber winger to maximize the talent they already had even though they knew they’d pay for it cap-wise in the latter half of the deal.

Pieterangelo is the perfect partner for Hughes.  This is our chance!

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

heck all Aquilini has to do is add an extra floor to all of his buildings to cover that (and not tell the city about them).

I still don't see The Blues letting him hit FA. His rights would be on the market if that was the case I think all this is, is Pietrangelo trying to get more out of St.Louis.

37 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

People are gonna laugh, but you’re really not far off.

For me, that term would be too long at those dollars. I could make easily an argument for doing $10M AAV for 5 years, but for 7 years, probably I’d want to drop it to $9M AAV. That’s as far as predicted value goes.

Ideally, when talking real dollars and not predicted value, you’d find a way to get the deal lower even than that, but at those figures, you probably aren’t going to lose value on the deal.

Here’s some modelling on Pietrangelo from a couple years ago (courtesy of Dom Luszcyzscyn of The Athletic). Can’t find anything more current from a public source, unfortunately:

C2DEDC71-57C4-44EB-872F-91798B1F47C4.jpeg.89138161b525f5adbaa0b3296968e664.jpeg

(Just to make a little sense of the numbers, pretty much anything over 2 GSVA is “elite” as in a top-15 NHL Dman)

Worth noting that, instead of the predicted 2020 GSVA of 2.4, Petro was actually a 3.3, and he hit career highs in 2019-20 for goals, shots, and points per game. He continues to log around 25 minutes per game with no signs of wearing down. He’s definitely not showing any “age related decline” yet, and at the level he’s currently playing (barring serious injury), even if he follows the expected aging curve, he probably remains “top pairing quality” over the life of his next deal (and “elite” for a fair chunk of the early years).

F it, let's do this!:metal:

36 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Well if Benn is in the press box I would be uncomfortable with a third pairing who combine for 0 NHL regular season games.

If 1 dman gets hurt you are now running 5 d and if another gets a penalty you are running 4 d.

In that scenario 50% of your d has played 0 NHL regular season games.

With that top 4, our bottom pair would be played sparingly. And I think you underestimate Juolevi.

• Cheers 1

I’d easily let Toffoli and Markstrom walk to make a real pitch at Pietrangelo.  Re-sign Tanev, and we finally have the D core to make a run with. 

Edler      Pietrangelo 

Hughes  Tanev

?????    Myers

Edited by 70seven
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I still don't see The Blues letting him hit FA. His rights would be on the market if that was the case I think all this is, is Pietrangelo trying to get more out of St.Louis.

If the tweet about them asking him to accept a contract without even knowing the terms is true, I don't see him coming back no matter what.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Personally I'd just cough up the first to get rid of LE and keep Toffoli too if possible.  Think of it as a late 1st for a signed Pietrangelo.  

Agreed. We're at the point where we need to cut the fat and build the best team. It's time to PUSH. All the people worried about 'aasssszzzeerttt MMM aaannaaghemtzz' are missing the plot IMO.

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

If we let tanev, stretcher and markstrom go then we can afford him right ?  I'm more comfortable with demko in goal if we have AP. 

Would accept 9 mil at 5 yrs? 

We would have to get rid of Eriksson, Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher, Sutter, Virtanen and one of Roussel/Baertschi.

All of that is reasonably possible:

Eriksson + 2021 1st round pick to OTT

Markstrom + Tanev walk

Stecher + Roussel to NJD for a pick

Sutter + Virtanen to BUF for a pick

Sign UFA Pietrangelo for $8.75m AAV and a back up goalie for 1 season @ $3m

Resign Toffoli (5.0), Leivo (1.6), Gaudette (1.5), Motte (1.25), MacEwen (1.0), Fantenberg (1.5)

Roster for next year:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Baertschi Gaudette Leivo

Motte Beagle MacEwen

(Hoglander)

Hughes Pietrangelo

Edler Myers

Fantenberg Rafferty

(Benn)

Demko

(Back up)

Edited by BigTramFan

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agreed. We're at the point where we need to cut the fat and build the best team. It's time to PUSH. All the people worried about 'aasssszzzeerttt MMM aaannaaghemtzz' are missing the plot IMO.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Hoglander-Gaudette-Virtanen/Leivo

Motte-Beagle-Roussel

Hughes-Pietrangelo

Edler-Tanev

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

That's a cup contending lineup.  Sutter can probably be moved at 50% retained, and LE we'll just have to hold our noses and pay up.  Time to go all in with our young core; let Benning work his magic and find some gems in the late rounds.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Hoglander-Gaudette-Virtaenen

Motte-Beagle-Roussel

Hughes-Pietrangelo

Edler-Tanev

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

That's a cup contending lineup.  Sutter can probably be moved at 50% retained, and LE we'll just have to hold our noses and pay up.  Time to go all in with our young core; let Benning work his magic and find some gems in the late rounds.

I'd include Virtanen moved and Leivo re-upped at around $1- $1.2m in his spot until Podkolzin arrives.

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

All kidding aside, we are ever so lucky to have an owner willing to pay to the Cap ceiling. 

for sure, of all the criticisms of Aquilini, being cheap isn't one of them.

But man you gotta think the gears are turning on how to afford this. My uncle knew a guy back in Saskatchewan who added an extra till in a grocery store he managed - this was back before the days of computers running stores. Dude cleaned up, no one's sure how much before he got caught. Moral of the story is there's always a way to get it done. 

• Like 2

Just now, aGENT said:

I'd include Virtanen moved and Leivo re-upped at around $1- $1.2m in his spot until Podkolzin arrives.

We must think alike; I just edited to that effect.  Whatever futures we get back from a Jake trade ease the pain of the price of moving out the needed salary; I don't want to see Jake win an arbitration case here.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

We would have to get rid of Eriksson, Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher, Sutter, Virtanen and one of Roussel/Baertschi.

All of that is reasonably possible:

Eriksson + 2021 1st round pick to OTT

Markstrom + Tanev walk

Stecher + Roussel to NJD for a pick

Sutter + Virtanen to BUF for a pick

Sign UFA Pietrangelo for $8.75m AAV and a back up goalie for 1 season @ $3m

Resign Toffoli (5.0), Leivo (1.6), Gaudette (1.5), Motte (1.25), MacEwen (1.0), Fantenberg (1.5)

Roster for next year:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Baertschi Gaudette Leivo

Motte Beagle MacEwen

(Hoglander)

Hughes Pietrangelo

Edler Myers

Fantenberg Rafferty

(Benn)

Demko

(Back up)

Why would you have to get rid of that many?

29 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I’d easily let Toffoli and Markstrom walk to make a real pitch at Pietrangelo.  Re-sign Tanev, and we finally have the D core to make a run with. 

Edler      Pietrangelo 

Hughes  Tanev

?????    Myers

Myers partner seems little sparse.