The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

5 hours ago, Trebreh said:

the most i'd offer him to sign here is 7.5m?

I don't think he will command 8-9m like some here are predicting in a flat cap and he's 30 years old now i'd be wary of giving him a long term deal. He will easily get term though i think. 

with Ekblad's name is floating around.. i'd rather we go after him since he fits our core's age group.. although it would probably take a lot to get him. 

I seen something on the athletic about ekblad is that actually  rumbling or is it just someone talking about a scenario I’m not subscribing to the athletic to find out lol

1 minute ago, mll said:

Vegas are probably going to go hard after Pietrangelo.  They don't have much cap space but should be able to find a taker for Marchessault or Smith plus one of their lesser priced Ds.  

They may as well go for it! Need to try and win a cup in the next 2-3 years before their  best players age out.

At least Piet fits their age group!

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Haha $7m AAV won't do it! And as mll just described, players won't want front loaded contracts as they are losing 20% escrow in these early years.

Better to lose 20% of a smaller number and lose 0% on a higher number later on in your contract.

8 mill, but in year 5 they submit a 15 team NMC caluse

2 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

1) Trade Ericksson + Demko to Ottawa for a 3rd pick.

2) Trade Virtanen + Stetcher's rights for a 3rd pick + 2nd if resigned.

3) Roussell is traded on a retrained contract.

4) Ferland IR reserve

5) Baertschi + Lind for future considerations

--------------

Tanev 4 x 4mill

Markstrom 5 x 5 mill

Toffoli : 4 x 5 mill

Pietrangelo: 6 x 7 mill - front loaded.

Virtanen and Stecher both have arbitration rights which lessens their trade value with teams concerned about going to arbitration.  In arbitration it's not possible to use the league or the team's financial condition as argument - ie they can't argue flat cap or drop in revenue.  Players can use comparable contracts to argue their case but those were signed before the pandemic and the cap regularly increasing.  They'll likely fall below the walk-away limit of 4.54M so teams would be forced to clear cap space late in the off-season to fit them in.  

Other teams will likely offer more for Pietrangelo - the Blues offered him 7.7M.  Also he probably is not interested in a front loaded deal when escrow is now 20% but will drop to 6% in a few years.  It's more advantageous for the player to have a backloaded deals.  Owners are also struggling with cash flow and they too might prefer backloaded.  

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If this is true, it’s so insulting to a player of Pietrangelo’s stature. Being asked to accept a deal, without knowing the structure first, is straight up crazy talk. 

Definitely insulting if true, considering what he accomplished for the franchise.

I'd say it was a little hard to believe, but after the fiasco from when Berglund was traded, this wouldn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I seen something on the athletic about ekblad is that actually  rumbling or is it just someone talking about a scenario I’m not subscribing to the athletic to find out lol

That Dayal article?  It's him being a blogger and playing armchair GM.  

The Athletic has been firing people.  George Richards was one of the casualties and they don't have anyone reliable covering Florida anymore.

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Pietrangelo is the exact defenseman the Canucks need. An elite two-way defenseman who is right-handed. I really wish the team didn't shell out so much money on bottom-six forwards. If the Canucks can somehow get him, a first pairing of Hughes and Pietrangelo would be ridiculous.

I completely agree.

The one thing I was on about since the beginning is the fact that GMJB and the management really lack hindsight.

You never know what type of player could come up on the market in the future and you don't need to cash out 3 to 4 million/year for 4th line calibre forwards.

"We need veteran experience for the playoffs" 

That "experience" excuse brought up by management could be bought for much less and now we're seeing actual players that we should've saved up that money for.

I hope management realizes that their impulsive contract decisions have resulted in a situation where we can't do anything and learn from it.

30 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

4) Ferland IR reserve

--------------

Tanev 4 x 4mill

Markstrom 5 x 5 mill

I feel like Pietrangelo at 8mil is a pretty decent discount. 7mil per AND front loaded? I think he'd fire his agent before accepting that deal. Myers got 6mil, by that metric Pietrangelo is at the bare minimum worth 8mil. And I really consider that a covid discount. He would very likely get 6x10m if this was a normal offseason and the cap was set to go up like usual. I have him in the Karlsson (with 2 ankles) and Doughty club. Guy is legit.

Also as has been stated by smarter people than me the escrow is going down over the years. So most players are likely looking for backended deals to get the most bang for their buck.

He is 31 in Jan. NHL might not even have a proper season next year so by the time everything is back to normal he is 32. Any team that gives him anything more than 4 years is making a big mistake.

Canucks obviously can't do this but i'd do something like 4x11 if I was another team. More money but shorter term

Edited by Outsiders

2 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

4) Ferland IR reserve

--------------

Tanev 4 x 4mill

Markstrom 5 x 5 mill

We’d have like 30 million in cap space if you did all that before you signed those guys. You should be hired 

16 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

We’d have like 30 million in cap space if you did all that before you signed those guys. You should be hired 

Problem being, Ottawa doesn't need goalies.

Detroit maybe, but not Ottawa.

That and I think Marky is walking.

3 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

4) Ferland IR reserve

--------------

Tanev 4 x 4mill

Markstrom 5 x 5 mill

1) Demko doesn’t have the value to erase Eriksson’s negative value and return a 3rd. If anything the Canucks add. 

2) picks conditional on a player signing aren’t allowed under the new CBA

3) how much retained? To who?

4) Ferland on LTIR isn’t a given, even if he is it still creates cap issues. 

5) to who?

All your salary estimates , with the exception of Toffoli) seem low.  You’re probably a good $4m too low in total 

Edited by qwijibo

6 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Colorado can give him whatever he wants. We could offer 9.5m but then we have to dump Virtanen and someone like Sutter. This is also assuming we don't re-sign Markstrom. Still room to re-sign Toffoli may have to dump another contract like Baerstchi. This is a guy worth having to give up some picks to dump some contracts if you can snag him. Number 1 dman do not ever make it to free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if someone trades for his rights and he never even sees FA.

Come on Benning, don’t wait on this one. Trade for his rights! We’ve had so few true, elite #1 D men in the history of this franchise. With the addition of Pietrangelo we could have two at once!

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

Honest to god, do what ever is necessary to unload guys Eriksson/Sutter/Baertschi etc., and go ALL IN on Pietrangelo. Because how often does the one piece you NEED become available in free agency. 

What if the price of moving those guys includes the likes of Podkolzin, Hoglander, next years 1st? It’s an interesting debate.  At what point do you “pull a Rutherford” and start spending the high end assets to make a run.  I honestly don’t know the answer 

12 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

What if the price of moving those guys includes the likes of Podkolzin, Hoglander, next years 1st? It’s an interesting debate.  At what point do you “pull a Rutherford” and start spending the high end assets to make a run.  I honestly don’t know the answer 

And when was the last time a high end prospect was used to offload a bad contract? There is a less than zero percent chance either get moved to do so. 

Mark Borowiecki is set to test free agency. He would be a great addition to the bottom pairing. Extremely physical, will stand up for his teammates and surprisingly had a career year this season. 

He would be a huge upgrade on Benn physically and give us some much needed toughness. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

And when was the last time a high end prospect was used to offload a bad contract? There is a less than zero percent chance either get moved to do so. 

When was the last time the salary cap was guaranteed to stay flat for a minimum of 3 years?  We’re in unknown territory here.  I didn’t say that’s what the price would be. I asked what the response would be IF the price included one of those assets.