The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Ottawa or Buffalo will weaponize their cap room by taking Fleury from Vegas along with their 1st pick next 2 years.  Then Vegas can get Pietrangelo 

Are those teams really interested in paying 13 million for a couple of late 1sts?

Somehow I doubt it. They would want good young players to help them now. And in Buffalos case someone to play with Eichel.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Are those teams really interested in paying 13 million for a couple of late 1sts?

Somehow I doubt it. They would want good young players to help them now. And in Buffalos case someone to play with Eichel.

That's true too.  Especially Ottawa - they won't want the cash outlay and they are oozing with young prospects right now

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They probably keep Schmidt and move Martinez. It's the best move for them. They also likely don't want cap back which would be easier to accomplish moving Martinez since he has 1 year at a reasonable cap hit 4M. Martinez is also the oldest member of that top 4 and Schmidt fits their age group. Schmidt, Theo and Pietro is probably what they want their big 3 to be. Schmidt is also left handed FYI, he can play either side, like Theo. They probably move Martinez and bring Theo back to the left side with Pietro if they can get him.

First they gotta figure out Fleury.

Also have to think Savard nets more than that. He's not a bad D-man. I am sure other teams would offer something better.

I feel there's a lot of waiting around on Pietrangelo. We won't see anything happen till he's off the board. Maybe with VGK if they know they got him and can move Fleury.

You think someone is taking even one year of Martinez cheap? Nobody is going to help them sign AP without getting something out of it for themselves. Look at the quality players moving for peanuts, just to move cap.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Waddell was on NHL network 2 days ago saying he's happy with their goaltending.  Fleury at 50% would be an upgrade.  Reimer is only owed 850K / 3.4M cap hit so maybe they find a team that could use him as backup.  

Chicago says they'll go young in net to explain why they moved on from Crawford.  

Restated because highlighting and bolding didn't seem to work:

"the NHL is relying more and more on young players."

This is the way (Dao) to go:  bring on the kids, no NTCs or NMCs, no long term deals, no rewarding past performances (not even, "What have you done for me lately", but more like, "What are you going to do for us in the future?").

The most valuable assets right now for NHL teams (imo) are Young Guns and Cap Space.

(I would make an exception for Pietrangelo for two reasons: first one is that he is exactly what we need, and the second one is that I am an old fart and it is difficult to free myself from my old habits like wanting to acquire established NHL star players for the Canucks.)

JB is right on track imo, replacing Markstrom with Holtby, letting Tanev and Stetcher walk, keeping our young guns and not wasting them getting rid of 'bad' contracts, etc.

Speaking of which, I think, if we wanted to trade Sutter (and I'm not sure we do), we would not have to add a sweetener like a prospect or a pick; I think he is valuable enough by himself, maybe with a bit of a cap trim. 

Center:  Petey/Miller, Bo, Sutts, Beags = good to go.

Wings: Dime a dozen, lots in pipeline, no need to add or waste prospects or cap.

LD: just fine (no need for OEL)(Hughes, Edler, Juolevi, young guns) 

RD: need AP (but costs cap space for a long term - 7 years), or some other very good 1RD somehow, but for 3RD (or 2RD if he works out) Tryamkin, who plays the right side and is a giant and we have a couple guys who could fight for 3RD, 4RD.

Goal: already sorted: Holtby/Demko.

Hang in there JB & Co; keep creat'n' cap and hang'n' on to our best prospects and picks and let these idiots running teams like TO, Cowgary, and Edmonchuk, continue to sink their own ships.  (And for this old fart: land AP please.)

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Ottawa or Buffalo will weaponize their cap room by taking Fleury from Vegas along with their 1st pick next 2 years.  Then Vegas can get Pietrangelo 

Hmm - they would still need to clear cap space as they'd have to either get, or promote, a back up in goal.

Fleury and Murray reunited in Ottawa. Not awkward.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

You think someone is taking even one year of Martinez cheap? Nobody is going to help them sign AP without getting something out of it for themselves. Look at the quality players moving for peanuts, just to move cap.

Moving cap is gonna cost everybody. Martinez had a good year and could be valuable to a team looking to shore up their top 4 for the season. He was for Theodore what Tanev was for Hughes during his time there. Only problem is he is 33, not a guy you'd want too long-term.

Obviously though it'll cost them to move him given the circumstances but I don't doubt he'd garner interest with not having to protect him since he is 1 year and coming in cheap for what he can bring in a flat cap environment.

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

VAN could give OTT a 1st plus maybe a B prospect for taking on LEs contract (which would only cost them $4m in actual cash, assuming they buy him out in 2021)

I imagine (hope!!!!!) JB has explored this, but am guessing the first words out of Ottawa were "plus Demko"

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I imagine (hope!!!!!) JB has explored this, but am guessing the first words out of Ottawa were "plus Demko"

Yep I guarantee JB has explored this several times over, and probably has a good idea of what would be required to move LE.

OTT have Murray and Nilsson in goal now, doubt they try to buy more goaltending. But I'm sure they'd like some picks to add to their 1 x 1st and 3 x 2nds in 2021.

Jim should do what he can to get the space to make an offer for Pietrangelo. He’d easily help shore up the defense. 

Quinn Hughes - Alex Pietrangelo 

Alex Edler - Tyler Myers

Jordie Benn - Oscar Fantenberg

Olli Juolevi

Works for me. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Jim should do what he can to get the space to make an offer for Pietrangelo. He’d easily help shore up the defense. 

Quinn Hughes - Alex Pietrangelo 

Alex Edler - Tyler Myers

Jordie Benn - Oscar Fantenberg

Olli Juolevi

Works for me. 

Has to resign Fantenberg first.  Been all quiet on that front

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Has to resign Fantenberg first.  Been all quiet on that front

Yeah that’s what scares me right. That management has been sooo quiet when it comes to the defense. Stetcher should have been signed to the same deal. Not sure why the Canucks didn’t want him back. He’s a warrior. Bleeds blue and green and for what he signed with Detroit. Easily a good piece for that third pairing. 

who else is out there that would be worth signing for? 

Not sure how accurate that list is. - they still have Brenden Dillon listed as available, but he has resigned with Washington a day or so ago.

And although a LHD, Koekkoek intrigues me.  Former 1st rounder (10th overall in 2012)  - has good numbers with Tampa, then with Chicago last couple of years. 6'2" and 193 lbs