The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

31 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

There is no issue going after players with a reasonable contract term and money. The problem becomes when you go too hard after players that won't make a huge difference. 

I say add a few short term pieces but let the youth play. There is no point signing players for the sake of signing them. No matter who we sign we won't be cup contenders right now. 

In a year we have a bunch of contracts coming off our books (yes, I know it will to to EP and QH). In 2 years we will have another bunch of money coming off the books, including the bs cap penalty for Bobby Lou. 

We are in decent shape right now. Yes we lost good players but let the youth develop and catch to when we are ready to challenge for thr cup. 

What would be your projected starting D lineup if we don’t bring anyone else in? 

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m still shaking my head at AP possibly going to Vegas..

vegas currently has 1.8 available in capspace

vancouver has 7.9       I’d like to think we’re in the mix.

I bet they sign him and go 10% over the cap.

Then magically a team will come in and help them out by taking cap off their books.

Wait and see. The league wants Vegas to stay a contender for as long as possible.

1 minute ago, Analyst82 said:

Honestly, you'll have to ask me that question once everything is settled and we have a better idea of what our roster will look like. 

If we don’t win the AP sweepstakes, there is nothing positive coming down the pipe.

The OEL trade was shut down because of them supposedly wanting Demko. 

We are not in a position with our prospects to gain a top defender in a trade. Hogs and Pods are our only grade A prospects and they seem not to going anywhere. 

So if we can’t sign a FA and can’t trade, this upcoming season will be development of our grade B prospects for all the holes in the back end. Definitely not making the playoffs...

Just now, grandmaster said:

If we don’t win the AP sweepstakes, there is nothing positive coming down the pipe.

We are not in a position with our prospects to gain a top defender in a trade. Hogs and Pods are our only grade A prospects and they seem not to going anywhere. 

So if we can’t sign a FA and can’t trade, this upcoming season will be development of our grade B prospects for all the holes in the back end. Definitely not making the playoffs...

Quick question - would you sacrifice longevity as a contender if it was say 2 years + down the line, to be just a playoff team next season? 

• Cheers 1

This is getting narrower,..  I see TBarrie just signed with the Oilers..  (thank you very much)

if it isnt AP ,   Then perhaps we’re working something out for Ekblad,.     Most ageing Swedes like to retire there :ph34r:

Edited by SilentSam

22 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

They have Kempher who is a legit number 1 and young.  Doubt they were asking for Demko.  I feel they didnt want to take on Erikssons salary.

If we cant sign Petro, we need to convince Panthers to take Boeser for Ekblad.

Hamonic is an option.  Closest thing to Tanev as we will find, but theres a possibility he won't want any part of bubble action so its risky signing him. 

Once things for sure.. We can't go into next season without getting adding a legit horse or 2 on the backend.  JB better have something up his sleeve.

33 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Quick question - would you sacrifice longevity as a contender if it was say 2 years + down the line, to be just a playoff team next season? 

Every time one makes the playoffs, they have a chance. Being 5 years out of the competition gave us zero chance.

Nothing is guaranteed. Let’s not forget 2011. We were more than just contenders that year. We were supposed to win.

I believe the margin of winning and being competitive is not so great. A hot goalie, a bad goal, puck luck, injuries, referee calls/missed calls and solid team play can turn just being in the playoffs to a winning team. 

Edited by grandmaster

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He's signed at 5.95M for 5 more years. I don't think JB would want him.

If we could send back Benn or something though? I'd take a near $4m overall cap increase on Benn for 'free' to help them clear $4m... Especially if they have to add a pick or something for doing so.

We get a top 4 RHD (better than Barrie), they get some additional space for AP/filling out their roster.

We'd still need to sign (or trade for) a defensive/PK/3rd pair guy... But they're relatively cheap.

Edited by aGENT

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

@Junkyard Dog

Benn for Schmidt. Roussel for Savard. (+/-some picks etc)

Edler, Schmidt

Hughes, Savard

Juolevi, Myers

Overall only eats about $5m of our remaining cap space. Still leaves enough to re-sign Toffoli or go bargain hunting elsewhere.

And why would Vegas trade schmidt for Benn?

He’s their second best dman produces; gets the puck out quick and elevates in playoffs.

just don’t see how they do that trade even for salary relief doesn’t really make sense to me.

savard is a guy I’d be interested in if the price was right. Can’t imagine them wanting Roussel for him though.

and Side note I bet torts sad he doesn’t have motte in the lineup kinda guy he’d love.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If we could send back Benn or something though? I'd take a near $4m overall cap increase on Benn for 'free' to help them clear $4m... Especially if they have to add a pick or something for doing so.

We get a top 4 RHD (better than Barrie), they get some additional space for AP/filling out their roster.

We'd still need to sign (or trade for) a defensive/PK/3rd pair guy... But they're relatively cheap.

I think he shoots left but can play right like Brodie. 

But I doubt they trade him like that for cap relief. He’s there #2 dman and right handed

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

And why would Vegas trade schmidt for Benn?

He’s their second best dman produces; gets the puck out quick and elevates in playoffs.

just don’t see how they do that trade even for salary relief doesn’t really make sense to me.

savard is a guy I’d be interested in if the price was right. Can’t imagine them wanting Roussel for him though.

and Side note I bet torts sad he doesn’t have motte in the lineup kinda guy he’d love.

Because if they want to fill out a roster AND sign AP, they're going to have to move cap. Lots of it.

Have you seen what decent players have been traded for this offseason? Scraps.

They get to upgrade Schmidt to AP, we help them clear cap and send them a cheap 3RD replacement in exchange.

CBJ are also in the process of clearing cap, need F's (Roussel) and have too many D and have already been rumored to be looking to move Savard.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Because if they want to fill out a roster AND sign AP, they're going to have to move cap. Lots of it.

Have you seen what decent players have been traded for this offseason? Scraps.

They get to upgrade Schmidt to AP, we help them clear cap and send them a cheap 3RD replacement in exchange.

CBJ are also in the process of clearing cap, need F's (Roussel) and have too many D and have already been rumored to be looking to move Savard.

Roussel for Savard makes a lot of sense for VAN