The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

If louie retires today how much of his remaining salary does he get?

None of it I believe, as he was signed before 35.

Retiring is basically him walking away from a guaranteed 5m. Having him as an anchor is frustrating, but how many people are gonna walk away from a guaranteed 5m? Even among athletes who've made a lot of scratch that ain't common. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

None of it I believe, as he was signed before 35.

Retiring is basically him walking away from a guaranteed 5m. Having him as an anchor is frustrating, but how many people are gonna walk away from a guaranteed 5m? Even among athletes who've made a lot of scratch that ain't common. 

Loui has not lived up to his part of the deal 

if he had even one ounce of professionalism he would retire and walk away or he can choose to stick around and be the most hated player on the team 

I hope they ship him off to Utica in shame if he sticks around 

I get we signed him to a long term deal, that is a fact. Nobody could claim he did his part 

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

if he had even one ounce of professionalism he would retire and walk away or he can choose to stick around and be the most hated player on the team 

I get we signed him to a long term deal, that is a fact. Nobody could claim he did his part 

No sympathy for the turd. You got 31 of your 36 million. 90 percent of which was unearned so just go away now.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Perhaps, but we also signed him to the contract and it's guaranteed money 

If he terminates is he gonna make 5m during the remainder of his career with Covid putting a damper on available cap space for teams? I'd say there's a strong chance he doesn't 

Even if we ship him to Utica I wouldn't be surprised if he sucked it up and took the money

Canucks fans can get as frustrated as they want, myself included, but someone walking away from a guaranteed 5m just ain't likely 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

If he terminates is he gonna make 5m during the remainder of his career with Covid putting a damper on available cap space for teams? I'd say there's a strong chance he doesn't 

Even if we ship him to Utica I wouldn't be surprised if he sucked it up and took the money

Canucks fans get as frustrated as they want, myself included, but someone walking away from a guaranteed 5m just ain't likely 

He signed the deal in good faith.  He didn’t pull a Luca Brasi on a Benning for him to ink a deal.  Nobody (including himself) expected his game to fall off a cliff from day one.  The league has guaranteed contracts.  It’s a business.  I like him to retire as much as anyone but it isn’t realistic given the money on the table.  

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Canucks fans can get as frustrated as they want, myself included, but someone walking away from a guaranteed 5m just ain't likely 

Don’t disagree 

just suppose at some point just perhaps some professional pride kicks in 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He signed the deal in good faith.  He didn’t pull a Luca Brasi on a Benning for him to ink a deal.  Nobody (including himself) expected his game to fall off a cliff from day one.  The league has guaranteed contracts.  It’s a business.  I like him to retire as much as anyone but it isn’t realistic given the money on the table.  

Well hopefully Louie likes Utica. NY being one of the Covid hubs, riding the bus, no 1st class lifestyle, it’ll be the first times he’s done something for his contract. If he’s not in Utica and there are fans in the stands he will be booed. The fans patience is done. It was fine when the Canucks weren’t good and he was just taking a spot and not costing anything. But now the Canucks are losing out on signing their own free agents and others because of this anchor. He will be booed mercifully.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sampy said:

Well hopefully Louie likes Utica. NY being one of the Covid hubs, riding the bus, no 1st class lifestyle, it’ll be the first times he’s done something for his contract. If he’s not in Utica and there are fans in the stands he will be booed. The fans patience is done. It was fine when the Canucks weren’t good and he was just taking a spot and not costing anything. But now the Canucks are losing out on signing their own free agents and others because of this anchor. He will be booed mercifully.

I feel like I time travelled back to last offseason.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, sampy said:

Merciful booing?

Anyway I don’t think it’s his contract that’s stoped is signing our own UFAs, we need to improve the D and Stech for all his heart doesn’t feature long term. Marky we were not going to give term and a NMC, Tanev potentiality could have signed but again his cap hit and term is probably a bit much as he won’t be here into the new cores era.

does he stop us signing some other UFAs yes, and I wouldn’t argue that that’s not an issue, however any UFA we sign really needs to fit with our core and not be an older player looking for 7 years. 

the positive side is that his cap is being held for the next 2 years meaning when it comes off the books a lot of the other contracts also do so we will be able to go shopping at a point when we are ready to not just compete in the playoffs but challenge for a cup 

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Here's hoping...:lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sampy said:

Just like Luongo did in Florida.

Didn't some team do that for Pronger too, but even worse, as he was LTIR at the time and that freed LTIR for another player, so double benefit?

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/352329-report-pronger-will-never-play-again-the-ltir-cap-circumvention

And

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2226616-why-the-nhl-made-the-wrong-move-by-hiring-chris-pronger

Edited by Googlie

17 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Retire Loui and give him a post as PK coach for 2 years at $2.5 per

Edit: could actually do 2 x 2, as there is no escrow on management salaries

That's cap circumvention to have someone retire to get his cap off the books and then overpay way beyond market to compensate for the loss in salary.  The Canucks would get fined and the fines would count against the salary cap and it could even lead to the loss of draft picks.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

That's cap circumvention to have someone retire to get his cap off the books and then overpay way beyond market to compensate for the loss in salary.  The Canucks would get fined and the fines would count against the salary and it could even lead to the loss of draft picks.

So just wait 6 months like Luongo did .....

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/roberto-luongo-florida-panthers-canucks-management

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

Because if they want to fill out a roster AND sign AP, they're going to have to move cap. Lots of it.

Have you seen what decent players have been traded for this offseason? Scraps.

They get to upgrade Schmidt to AP, we help them clear cap and send them a cheap 3RD replacement in exchange.

CBJ are also in the process of clearing cap, need F's (Roussel) and have too many D and have already been rumored to be looking to move Savard.

If JB  could get Cernak and Savard that would be pretty cool.

cernak for cheap and savard for a reasonable price would beef up and upgrade our back end I think. 

Hughes-Cernak

Edler-Myers

Juolevi-Savard

Benn

Think that would be an upgrade on our defence. And it’s possible 

not sure what it would take to get savard but feel like we could snag cernak away from them for just picks

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1