The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wow, if AP goes to Vegas... The Canucks should just suck it up and regress for a year before pushing forward again the following year (which happens btw).  

I'm not sure what GMJB could possibly have up his sleeve to make up for the loss of Marky, Tanev, Toffoli, and Stecher ... That's losing an all star #1 MVP goalie, a top 4 defensive defenceman, a top 6 forward, and a solid depth RHD.  Adding nothing to replace them.

We cannot possibly rely on rookies to make up for that much of a loss.

You make a great point but ruin it with: "Adding nothing to replace them." Holtby replaced Marky. Tanev, Toffoli and Stetcher are valid. Stetcher isn't much of a concern as we have Benn, Rafferty, Rathbone and Juolevi to compete for the bottom 6 and jury is still out on Fantenberg returning. Definitely need to do something about replacing Tanev in the top 4. I am also not super concerned about the top 6 as they were fine without Toffoli this year, I would be fine with Leivo in there on the cheap and save cap room for the future. 

The risk with our team over performing this year, is expectations get too high in the future. Lets all keep our expectations to reality that we weren't going to be a true contender bringing back the same team, so why regret long contracts to Marky, Toffoli and Tanev in 3 or 4 years from now when we are probably truly ready to contend. A step back this year is fine to get ready to push ahead again. OR... JB goes big with the cap space and lands Pietro and we have improved over last year...

The worst situation would probably have been locking into last years team and handcuffing the future.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

I have no idea what Vegas is planning on doing since they only have $1,875,896 in cap left.

I feel like JB is holding back waiting for teams to desperately start unloading players they don't want to unload just to be compliant with the cap.

I love that approach. So far, I've been happy with JB not biting and waiting this out.

This.

It's fun watching everyone freak out... Then three, four days, a week or whatever in and all of a sudden Jim pulls a couple quick trades and we'll all be happy as clams IMO lol

• Cheers 4

16 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

You make a great point but ruin it with: "Adding nothing to replace them." Holtby replaced Marky. Tanev, Toffoli and Stetcher are valid. Stetcher isn't much of a concern as we have Benn, Rafferty, Rathbone and Juolevi to compete for the bottom 6 and jury is still out on Fantenberg returning. Definitely need to do something about replacing Tanev in the top 4. I am also not super concerned about the top 6 as they were fine without Toffoli this year, I would be fine with Leivo in there on the cheap and save cap room for the future. 

The risk with our team over performing this year, is expectations get too high in the future. Lets all keep our expectations to reality that we weren't going to be a true contender bringing back the same team, so why regret long contracts to Marky, Toffoli and Tanev in 3 or 4 years from now when we are probably truly ready to contend. A step back this year is fine to get ready to push ahead again. OR... JB goes big with the cap space and lands Pietro and we have improved over last year...

The worst situation would probably have been locking into last years team and handcuffing the future.

Bro this fan base has been waiting 7 years to watch competitive hockey. We don’t want to wait another 3 years. JB has shown has shown he isn’t good at asset management. I’m not on the fire JB train but I think he shot himself in the foot. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

No tax 

What cap space is vegas using to sign AP?

The 1.88million they have?

Vgk must move fleury first with no retention, sign a backup and add Pietrangelo with  thr 9.88 mil they will have after the trade

They can fly him out and show him what they want, fact remains AP will be getting 7.5+

Won't be signing for 1.88 mil

30 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

I have no idea what Vegas is planning on doing since they only have $1,875,896 in cap left.

I feel like JB is holding back waiting for teams to desperately start unloading players they don't want to unload just to be compliant with the cap.

I love that approach. So far, I've been happy with JB not biting and waiting this out.

Tbf, seems he went in on Barrie but lost out. 

25 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

Although we lost a ton of heart in the last 24 hours, absolutely agree it was/is necessary to continue to turn the team over to the kids. Hopefully 2 out of LE, Sutter and Beagle follow shortly.

31 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

This

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

Bro this fan base has been waiting 7 years to watch competitive hockey. We don’t want to wait another 3 years. JB has shown has shown he isn’t good at asset management. I’m not on the fire JB train but I think he shot himself in the foot. 

The fan base doesn't know what they want. Firstly, every team loses players to FA, that is not unique to Vancouver and Benning hasn't been as bad as others (Arizona trading for Hall and letting him go, St. Louis with Peitro, NYI with Tavares) those ones sting more than guys that will end up being another contract that this fan base has roasted Benning for. He gets flack for the long term contracts that are hindering the team now, then gets flack for not signing more of those contracts.

The team will still be competitive this year regardless, we won't drop into basement territory, but it is realistic to miss the playoffs one more time before becoming a true contender for many years. I would rather that then be the Wild stuck in the 7-10 in the west range every year for eternity. 

I want a stanley cup, that is all. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Although we lost a ton of heart in the last 24 hours, absolutely agree it was/is necessary to continue to turn the team over to the kids. Hopefully 2 out of LE, Sutter and Beagle follow shortly.

I wouldn’t expect it unless we get super lucky and LE decides to mutually terminate. Trying to get rid would mean we have to gut the farm, team or pick pool. It’s just not worth it. Thats why the OEL potential trade was interesting as we could upgrade and also jettison at the same time.

plus I don’t get the obsession with people wanting to offload beagle. Yes his cap isn’t the greatest but he is an effective player and we have absolutely no one in the team or on the farm who can play his role any where near as well (unless you want Horvat on defensive duties all game)