The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we were giving up a first I would chase Ristolainen who was rumoured to move last year.  Likely needs more than a first but that’s the main piece.

Tough one as I think he only has a year left on his contract?

6 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Outside of Hughes, Edler and Joulevi are the small guys at 6’3, haha.  

I just had this feeling that AP wasn’t even considering Van as a destination, but now I’m starting to get a feeling that JB may be big game hunting now.  I think a player of AP’s caliber is needed if JB pulls out the stops on moving out bad contracts too.  

... and the young D man at 6’3” in the 3rd rnd Draft..  18- 19 years old ,  looks like a gem to step in in 2 years..  love the system Benning has implemented for building this team.

Emphasis can be placed in the future for moving decent players around 30 years old for good picks,.  While the talent pool walks into those vacancies when they’ve developed to the right level.

pretty sure Bennings Canuck Jersey will rise to the rafters one day.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Sounds like the Leafs have pulled away from AP...  I can’t paste the link but it’s on the “Athletic” page about an hr ago.. article by James Mirtle.

Really hope to hear he’s announced as a Canuck in the a.m.

I would of thought it a pipe dream days ago but you never know. Won't be morning though. Cap space would need to be cleared first. 

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Sounds like the Leafs have pulled away from AP...  I can’t paste the link but it’s on the “Athletic” page about an hr ago.. article by James Mirtle.

Really hope to hear he’s announced as a Canuck in the a.m.

Seen some talk of Vegas being in on AP. Not sure why, they need a center you'd imagine. Not sure who realistically is still in. St Louis said they aren't outta the running for AP even after signing Krug but like, come on. Boston could potentially make some moves. They were in on OEL, why wouldn't they be in on AP? CBJ moved out a ton of cap and seemingly aren't done. Dark horse team right there. AP sweepstakes are interesting.

I mean Benning was okay with a long term deal for OEL at 8.25, you would think he’d be okay with that for Pietrangelo.

Difference obviously being he has to clear out cap in alternative ways. I still think Sutter could be moved if Benning is willing to eat a tiny bit of cap or pay a pick/prospect.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Seen some talk of Vegas being in on AP. Not sure why, they need a center you'd imagine. Not sure who realistically is still in. St Louis said they aren't outta the running for AP even after signing Krug but like, come on. Boston could potentially make some moves. They were in on OEL, why wouldn't they be in on AP? CBJ moved out a ton of cap and seemingly aren't done. Dark horse team right there. AP sweepstakes are interesting.

I saw that too,  hard to beleive really,  they have aprx. 5.m in cap space,     We are at aprx 7.5m according to capfriendly right now.

and we could theoretically move 1 or 2 contracts easily.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Suppose it depends on the irons JB has in the fire for cap dumps. 

Totally and he has been having these discussions with the likes of OTT, DET, BUF since our playoffs wrapped up. JB will have a clear idea of the cost to dump those contracts.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I saw that too,  hard to beleive really,  they have aprx. 5.m in cap space,     We are at aprx 7.5m according to capfriendly right now.

and we could theoretically move 1 or 2 contracts easily.

Agreed, I don’t think it would cost too much to move Sutter, Baertschi, Roussel at this point.  We may have to add but not as much as Eriksson which is likely in the 1st territory.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Has Eriksson given any teams he’d go to?

Send him with our 2021 first round pick.

we’re st@cked pretty good fo5r 3 years boys..     clear the way for A P.

It hasn't been reported which teams might be on LE's 15-team "no trade" list. But when your agent is actively approaching teams to find a landing spot, then you gotta figure he'd go anywhere that would take him...

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Has Eriksson given any teams he’d go to?

Send him with our 2021 first round pick.

we’re st@cked pretty good fo5r 3 years boys..     clear the way for A P.

The 2021 first is a bit risky, we don't know if we might regress. I say try to rid ourselves of movable contracts like Sutter,Sven or Roussel. Let Eriksson rot in the Ahl. He hasn't made it exactly easy to get rid of him. 

• Like 2

This is our only hope to recover from a rather terrible first day of free agency. 

We lost Marky, Tanev and still haven’t signed TT.

We got Holtby at an ok price but dropped in goalie rankings.

We were supposed to upgrade the defence and instead appear to be courting Barrie, who was terrible last year (not to mentioned we lost Tanev as well). 

break up love GIF by WE tv

10 minutes ago, KKnight said:

The 2021 first is a bit risky, we don't know if we might regress. I say try to rid ourselves of movable contracts like Sutter,Sven or Roussel. Let Eriksson rot in the Ahl. He hasn't made it exactly easy to get rid of him. 

That’s the problem,.. the AHL isn’t operating,.  Personally I’ve always thought if we waived him their,  he would clear and retir3 rather than report.

I wanted that to happen last season.   I understand it dosent look good to players for organizations to do that..  but as a player you have to have take some responsibility of your worth to the contrac5 you signed.

34 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This is our only hope to recover from a rather terrible first day of free agency. 

We lost Marky, Tanev and still haven’t signed TT.

We got Holtby at an ok price but dropped in goalie rankings.

We were supposed to upgrade the defence and instead appear to be courting Barrie, who was terrible last year (not to mentioned we lost Tanev as well). 

break up love GIF by WE tv

I didn’t realize there’s some kind of competition that is based on each day of free agency. How many teams that “won free agency” last year won the Cup this year? Exactly...

• Cheers 2