The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

48 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That’s the problem,.. the AHL isn’t operating,.  Personally I’ve always thought if we waived him their,  he would clear and retir3 rather than report.

I wanted that to happen last season.   I understand it dosent look good to players for organizations to do that..  but as a player you have to have take some responsibility of your worth to the contrac5 you signed.

Totally agree

2 hours ago, RomanP said:

I didn’t realize there’s some kind of competition that is based on each day of free agency. How many teams that “won free agency” last year won the Cup this year? Exactly...

So we lost our MVP goalie and one of our top shot blocking and steady defenceman (a defence that needed upgrade). 

We also have a legit top 6 winger who is still in limbo, leaving Bo potentially on his own once again. 

That’s not a concern for you :picard:

35 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So we lost our MVP goalie and one of our top shot blocking and steady defenceman (a defence that needed upgrade). 

We also have a legit top 6 winger who is still in limbo, leaving Bo potentially on his own once again. 

That’s not a concern for you :picard:

Not for me. Our window starts in two years when the older contracts are off the books, Demko is a full time starter and Hogs and Podz are on the team and some of the D prospects in the line up.

my biggest concern is overspending this and next FA.

if we are sensible, while we might not be quite as good the next year or two we will then be in a Colorado situation with a lot of cap and young players on ELcs and stars locked in. We can then tool up properly.

we do it to early we really will be in cap hell and we will then lose years out of our cup window.

marky and tanev  walking were the right calls, just hurts more that it was to Calgary 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah and no. 7.95M in cap + 1M in Baertschi buried.

Could sign him tomorrow but we'd have no cap left.

Virtanen and Gaudette have both been qualified and need new contracts.  So take probably $4m+ off the available total 

6 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Think to myself “what contender has cap for hall or petro” realizes the Avs have enough for both and maybe toffoli

They qualified all their rfa's. Burakovsky is going go get paid. They need to sign Landeskog as well. I could see them trying to acquire Fleury & attempting to sign Hall. Not Petro. 

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

What about:

to NYI - Eriksson, Sutter (this name means something on Long Island), and Gaudette

to VAN - Boychuk and Johnston

Eriksson (LW/RW) - $2.5 x 2 years

Sutter (C/RW)- $4.375 x 1 year

Gaudette (C/RW) - $1 (roughly)

Boychuk (RD) - $6 x 2 years

Johnston (LW) - $1 x 2 years

It would basically be a cash exchange/dump for both teams. Canucks could use a gnarly veteran RD. Johnston is big, but doesn't produce much. 

Boychuk is also owed only 2.5M x 2.   They would be taking on more salary and more cap space.  NYI has to clear cap space too - they have their own RFAs to extend including Barzal.   

2 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Not for me. Our window starts in two years when the older contracts are off the books, Demko is a full time starter and Hogs and Podz are on the team and some of the D prospects in the line up.

my biggest concern is overspending this and next FA.

if we are sensible, while we might not be quite as good the next year or two we will then be in a Colorado situation with a lot of cap and young players on ELcs and stars locked in. We can then tool up properly.

we do it to early we really will be in cap hell and we will then lose years out of our cup window.

marky and tanev  walking were the right calls, just hurts more that it was to Calgary 

As it stands right now, we definitely won’t be better, we are dramatically worse. I’m not sure JB intends on your plan as he seems invested with competing for now. Your plan does make some sense though. Patience is the virtue and I’m not so sure our ownership, GM and most fans can be any more patient after 5 years of bad hockey.

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

As it stands right now, we definitely won’t be better, we are dramatically worse. I’m not sure JB intends on your plan as he seems invested with competing for now. Your plan does make some sense though. Patience is the virtue and I’m not so sure our ownership, GM and most fans can be any more patient after 5 years of bad hockey.

I think with a number of rfas not being qualified and a suppressed cap free agency market, we might pick up a couple of players on short terms to just fill the holes. I think with the upcoming season it’s going to be a weird one, so plugging in the prospects might not be a bad idea either, means we can see who to keep and who to trade a bit better. I think with holtby and demko we will be okay, we have plenty of time for IC to work with them.

our D on the right side is sketchy but I would rather than than Piet. (While I would love him to play here, the cost to acquire and the cap expected just doesn’t fit with our team set up)

also with expansion coming up having a spare slot to protect a D really could help us leverage a decent player out of somewhere to fill that hole long term that may not be on the radar at the moment.

Edited by UKNuck96

2 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

I think with a number of rfas not being qualified and a suppressed cap free agency market, we might pick up a couple of players on short terms to just fill the holes. I think with the upcoming season it’s going to be a weird one, so plugging in the prospects might not be a bad idea either, means we can see who to keep and who to trade a bit better. I think with holtby and demko we will be okay, we have plenty of time for IC to work with them.

our D on the right side is sketchy but I would rather than than Piet. (While I would love him to play here, the cost to acquire and the cap expected just doesn’t fit with our team set up)

also with expansion coming up having a spare slot to protect a D really could help us leverage a decent player out of somewhere to fill that hole long term that may not be on the radar at the moment.

Exactly. Can't make hasty decisions because of the scary unknown. Contacts signed today that are too long are the headaches down the road. Patience as players will be available along the way. Even if there is a step back this year it will be fine and some of the young D will get tested and some experience. Let's see what we got.

• Cheers 1