The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks will not retain $ or add a sweetener for Loui to be moved

EP40.

9 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

It look like $5mill but after tax which is like 50%, agent fees, and the high escrow the next 2 years, it is more like $800,000. Still a lot but to him is it really worth it?

Actually. Using 10% agent fee (which is a bit high) and 20% escrow he brings home about $2m after income tax.   He’s the fun part.  If people get their wish and he’s sent to Utica his salary won’t be subject to escrow. So he’d end up with closer to $2.5m take home.  

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Actually. Using 10% agent fee (which is a bit high) and 20% escrow he brings home about $2m after income tax.   He’s the fun part.  If people get their wish and he’s sent to Utica his salary won’t be subject to escrow. So he’d end up with closer to $2.5m take home.  

Loui has never been the fun part. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

2 hours ago, EP40. said:

Rick Dhaliwal on TSN1040: “Here’s an update on Loui Eriksson - no trade. What a shock. JP Barry is not a miracle worker, he’s not Houdini. Jim Benning has been trying to move him for 2+ years. The Canucks won’t pick up any part of the cap hit or add a sweetener.”

...this is why we may lose Tanev or/and Marky both to Free Agency. 

This is supposed to be competent GMing? Look I’m proud of where JB got this team to but if the league has transitioned to winning with young players on ELC’s, then having kept Eriksson this long and still not finding a suitor only means our window to win is dented and closed that much more. 

Playoff experience was great and all for the young guns to rally around and improve on. But how can the team get better if you don’t have available funds to be able to strengthen around them when in fact you’ll be doing the opposite actually by having quality roster casualties as a consequence? Eriksson’s cap is preventing a lot this team can do and it’s ability to improve. He wasn’t even played during the playoffs until necessary to fill-in for others so let’s not talk about him being a good role player for the bottom6...he’s not paid to and call a spade a spade, is a buyout worthy player holding this team back. So illogical that this is the stance management is taking :wacko:

This was discussed on HNIC? or the radio, but essentially, Lou's bonus has been payed and the actual dollars ro be

payed is around 2,5 million x 2yrs.

The Cap $ is 6 mil x 2 which may interest a team trying to get to the floor.

1 minute ago, lumberman said:

This was discussed on HNIC? or the radio, but essentially, Lou's bonus has been payed and the actual dollars ro be

payed is around 2,5 million x 2yrs.

The Cap $ is 6 mil x 2 which may interest a team trying to get to the floor.

I don’t think there will any teams that will have an issue hitting the cap floor though. 

56 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Did you enjoy watching the Canucks make it to game 7 of the 2nd round this year?   
Without JB and his “incompetence” we wouldn’t be close to where we are.  
we have an awesome young team because of him.  

The cap situation will be fine by the time Petey and Quinn need extensions. 
There is no reason to sell the farm to get rid of LE right now. 

There is some incompetence going on, but it’s not JB.....

it because of petey and huggy and markstorm

24 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t think there will any teams that will have an issue hitting the cap floor though. 

thats not the issue, its whether or not Ottawa chooses to be a cap floor team that saves real dollars. If thats the route Melnyk wants he can save up to 5 mil with Loui. 

I'm really glad Jim isn't panicking and is telling teams to go pound sand if they want significant assets. This isn't Toronto, he's not Dubas. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

thats not really accurate. He'll only make 1 mil next season, and then likely be bough out in his final year. The consequence of that is he'll never play in the NHL again since it will be 18 months or so between now and then, and no one's going to be looking for a 37 year old that hasn't played in nearly 2 years.

Its very clear now, if Loui wants to extend his career in the NHL he needs to terminate his Canucks contract. He'll go on unconditional waivers, so if some team wants him for cap floor purposes  he's there for free as well. 

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

thats not really accurate. He'll only make 1 mil next season, and then likely be bough out in his final year. The consequence of that is he'll never play in the NHL again since it will be 18 months or so between now and then, and no one's going to be looking for a 37 year old that hasn't played in nearly 2 years.

Its very clear now, if Loui wants to extend his career in the NHL he needs to terminate his Canucks contract. He'll go on unconditional waivers, so if some team wants him for cap floor purposes  he's there for free as well. 

I didn’t even include the bonus he was paid already for the upcoming season. If he’s sent down none of that $3m bonus is subject to the 20% escrow.  Since his agent has been given permission to try to find a trade I’m sure he has a very good idea of whether or not there’s potential a new NHL deal out there for him.  If there isn’t he’d be insane to walk away from his current contract. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd have them blocked if they didn't make me laugh so often :lol: It's like the CDC posting equivalent of Dumb and Dumber!

Anyhoo... Sounds like the only sweetener Jim's willing to add is a bus ticket to Utica. I'm ok with that angle :)

Yup, its hard ass old school time.  A lot of people have been calling for this approach for a while now, good to see it happen. 

I guess Barry isn't the super agent he made out to be. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, qwijibo said:

I didn’t even include the bonus he was paid already for the upcoming season. If he’s sent down none of that $3m bonus is subject to the 20% escrow.  Since his agent has been given permission to try to find a trade I’m sure he has a very good idea of whether or not there’s potential a new NHL deal out there for him.  If there isn’t he’d be insane to walk away from his current contract. 

I hear Utica has some nice nut houses.