The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

buyout should be for the entire team....shouldn't apply to only Toffoli or even apply to this potential signing. It's a bad management tax...

A bad management tax.

Love it.

Man.

The Luongo Clause.

Seriously lol

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

All the hockey folks have been warning to slow our rolls on these guys.  They aren’t likely to be top of the lineup players for a while yet.

Canucks expectations have changed on young players because we were blessed with Petey,Hughes and Boeser. But most young players don’t coming flying into the top lines like these boys did. Hope we can have a little patience with Hogz and Podz

On 10/9/2020 at 2:11 PM, BCNate said:

This is going to be Shotgun Jake's chance.  He is going to get a nice salary and a shot in our top 6.  Now or never for him next year.

In saying that, I expect big things from him, he's finally ready for this opportunity.

He did go against some pretty beefy playoff guys and held his own.

He had a couple of glimpses of stardom against St-Louis.

Some take longer to figure it out. And playing with Pearson and Horvat isn’t too shabby either.

We all know Horvat is landing a Cup in Vancouver.

He’s London OHL.

He’s Royalty.

Just right winging Horvat should be enough for Virtanen to improve.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 2

We played the majority of last season without Toffoli...  and made the playoffs. We played the majority of playoffs without Toffoli...  and played through injury...  we got to second round game 7...  

as good as a fit as he looked, we can live without TT.  Find someone cheaper on shorter term.  Or make a hockey trade using Virtanen alla Domi deal to find another winger.   Use cap space to lure whatever defensive upgrades we can find. 

Edited by 70seven
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, 70seven said:

We played the majority of last season without Toffoli...  and made the playoffs. We played the majority of playoffs without Toffoli...  and played through injury...  we got to second round game 7...  

as good as a fit as he looked, we can live without TT.  Find someone cheaper on shorter term.  Or make a hockey trade using Virtanen alla Domi deal to find another winger.   Use cap space to lure whatever defensive upgrades we can find. 

I agree, Defense is where we lack more than anything. He is a luxury we cannot afford at this time, and the playoffs exposed, how we could not get out of our own end

TT is good defensively, he can score a point a game playing with EP, and he can be signed for $5M or under....JB should sign TT, since it looks like he is rolling the dice on the prospect dmen to take the vacant spots on D. A forward who plays a good defensive game and can score will help the "D" a lot...TT fits this need.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Benning said he needs to clear cap space.

He must be working on a trade you would think

Well I wouldn't expect toffoli to just sit around and wait so hopefully if he is trying to move cap then he should pick up the pace.

Just now, JC2 said:

Well I wouldn't expect toffoli to just sit around and wait so hopefully if he is trying to move cap then he should pick up the pace.

I mean the good thing is no team has swooped in and offered him a big contract from the looks of it.

Might mean his market value is bringing him back to reality and we can get him around 4-4.5 which is fair.

We have cap space if we wanted to sign Toffoli...but we need to address the top 4 RHD hole first. I am for a TB trade to get Johnson, ideally with 1m retained AND Cernak for fairly cheap.

Then put Johnson with Bo and sign Cernak to a Rasmus Anderson type contract? Bet on him being  a solid top 4 for a handful of years with just over a 4m cap hit.

If we have to make a trade to move Sutter or Roussel to make cap work so be it imo. 

If there is any way to get Tryamkin out of his contract early and sign him to a 4 year 2.5 per deal it would leave a lot of money for an elite player like Hall who has said he would take a shorter term deal and maybe less money to not play for a dumpster fire team.

Hall Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Virtanen

Pearson Gaudette MacEwen

Leivo Beagle Motte

Hughes Myers

Edler Tryamkin

Joulevi Rafferty

Move Roussel, Sutter along for futures or thereabouts.

There are still a lot of options out there for us.

10 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If there is any way to get Tryamkin out of his contract early and sign him to a 4 year 2.5 per deal it would leave a lot of money for an elite player like Hall who has said he would take a shorter term deal and maybe less money to not play for a dumpster fire team.

Hall Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Virtanen

Pearson Gaudette MacEwen

Leivo Beagle Motte

Hughes Myers

Edler Tryamkin

Joulevi Rafferty

Move Roussel, Sutter along for futures or thereabouts.

There are still a lot of options out there for us.

I would take TT at 4 million versus Hall at 8.  Spend the 4 million elsewhere.

Our window is open and we need to make improvements to bottom six and defence to make the next step and we lost:

markstrom

tanev 

stetcher 

most likely tofolli 

and replaced all of them with holtby???

we didn’t buy anyone out, we didn’t move salary to sign players to fill those spots.

there not much left in FA 

If your top six is 

Miller petey Boeser 

eriksson Horvat virtanen 

then we’re in trouble, not to mention the holes now on defence.

JB is down to trades and it’s going to cost 1rst and 2nd round picks for the next few years to package salary and get a roster player back 

Edited by Filthy McNasty
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

6 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Are window is open and we need to make improvements to bottom six and defence to make the next step and we lost:

markstrom

tanev 

stetcher 

most likely tofolli 

and replaced all of them with holtby???

we didn’t buy anyone out, we didn’t move salary to sign players to fill those spots.

there not much left in FA 

If your top six is 

Miller petey Boeser 

eriksson Horvat virtanen 

then we’re in trouble, not to mention the holes now on defence.

JB is down to trades and it’s going to cost 1rst and 2nd round picks for the next few years to package salary and get a roster player back 

Markstroms contract would have handcuffed the team down the line especially with the expansion draft coming up and he was never gonna get that money and term here. In order to improve you can’t just resign the same players every year and hope they do better than the last season, we need a top 4 D now and benning will address that, stetcher isn’t a huge loss and either one of the rookies or a FA could easily replace him. I think we’ll see a trade happen and I hope it doesn’t cost a 1st, benning hated not having one this year so I don’t think he’ll trade another.

• Like 1