The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lets give this a little more time. Maybe this motives him and he finds his game in Utica

I like that.  Jurmo and our 2021 first to New Jersey for Jack Hughes?

Edited by Googlie
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lets give this a little more time. Maybe this motives him and he finds his game in Utica. 

I’m sure you meant Abbotsford. Old habits die hard. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/12/2021 at 2:10 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jurmo signed a two year contract with Jukurit, on May 3rd, 2021.

https://jukurit.fi/fi-fi/article/uutiset/petrus-palmu-vahvistamaan-jukurien-hyokkaysta-saku-forsblom-ja-joni-jurmo-puolustukseen/3651/

The deal would be subject to the transfer agreement, so that contract must include an NHL out clause, as the transfer agreement recognizes the NHL’s “exclusive rights” to their drafted players.

So the Canucks will have offseason windows (as set out in the transfer agreement) where they can simply offer an ELC and, if Jurmo signs, his Liiga contract is voided.

Outside of those windows, the Canucks would need to get permission from Jukurit, which they’d most likely get (or they could just wait for the next window). 

Most European clubs don’t try to stand in the way of their players joining the NHL, they just want fair compensation (which the transfer agreement sets), and the right to bring their young players back, if they don’t make the NHL (which the agreement also provides for).

EDIT: The new contract also apparently includes a two month tryout to start. I’m curious if there might be another signing window during this tryout period, if the Canucks decided to offer and ELC before the tryout period ends and the Liiga contact comes into full effect (honestly have no idea how this aspect would work, just an interesting wrinkle).

This makes too much sense SID,

especially with the Canuck Franchise have more control over play time and training with pro staff at their fingertips in Abbotsford.

Its been a cringe fest hearing how Podz has been handled and held back at times over the past 2 years.

Imagine if he had been playing in Abby all this time, and the attention he would have received regarding ice time, training , and skills.

Perhaps we see Jurmo in the lower mainland sooner than later..  hope so.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Imagine if he had been playing in Abby all this time, and the attention he would have received regarding ice time, training , and skills.

Perhaps we see Jurmo in the lower mainland sooner than later..  hope so.

8 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

He'd prob make the canucks right after the draft

You "may" be right about better ice time and coaching but do you spend the boss man's money right now in order to bring him over and hope he becomes an NHL player someday; or do you let him develop in his own country for a couple of years (Canucks hold his rights till 1st June 2024) and then make a decision on whether he has continued to develop his overall skills esp. defensively, to warrant spending  ~ $2.4 million on a 3yr entry level contract?

• Cheers 3

Similar to Utunen.  If he were a RHD he'd likely slot right onto the big team this fall, but manning the left side, he is probably 5 or 6 on the depth chart.  His time in Finland didn't hurt him, other than he flew under the radar for most of the 2 seasons.  Utica would have made more sense if he has NHL aspirations.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Joni Jurmo with a great game today, scores on a nice shot on the PP and earns some PK time as well.  

Hopefully he keeps this up in the Liiga. It would be quite a step up for him this year. 

On 6/17/2021 at 7:08 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

You "may" be right about better ice time and coaching but do you spend the boss man's money right now in order to bring him over and hope he becomes an NHL player someday; or do you let him develop in his own country for a couple of years (Canucks hold his rights till 1st June 2024) and then make a decision on whether he has continued to develop his overall skills esp. defensively, to warrant spending  ~ $2.4 million on a 3yr entry level contract?

Seeing how it's unlikely Jurmo would crack the NHL lineup at this time or over the next three seasons, the financial obligations for Aquillini would be $150K to $160K per season over three seasons.  That's a drop in the bucket for FA.

I'm of the opinion that any prospect with any sort of promise should be signed and developed through the Canucks farm system under the watchful eye of the Sedins, Benning, Johnson and Cull.  I'm not a big fan of leaving the development of any promising prospects 19+ years old to other organizations.  IMO, the Danila Klimovich development model is the way to go.

As much as I like the idea of solid vets playing in Abbotsford for its inaugural seasaon, my preference is to use Abby Canucks as the landing place for young players such as Jurmo.  Give these kids the ice time they need to develop.  Development > winning for the Abby Canucks.  If winning can be done with the prospects, then the Canucks are one step closer to being Tampa Bay/Syracuse system.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Joni Jurmo with a great game today, scores on a nice shot on the PP and earns some PK time as well.  

Hopefully he keeps this up in the Liiga. It would be quite a step up for him this year. 

He was listed as playing in the starting d pair and scored a pp goal.  Pretty nice start.  It's just preseason, but this got to be a confidence-building start for the big Finn!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

23 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Seeing how it's unlikely Jurmo would crack the NHL lineup at this time or over the next three seasons, the financial obligations for Aquillini would be $150K to $160K per season over three seasons.  That's a drop in the bucket for FA.

I'm of the opinion that any prospect with any sort of promise should be signed and developed through the Canucks farm system under the watchful eye of the Sedins, Benning, Johnson and Cull.  I'm not a big fan of leaving the development of any promising prospects 19+ years old to other organizations.  IMO, the Danila Klimovich development model is the way to go.

As much as I like the idea of solid vets playing in Abbotsford for its inaugural seasaon, my preference is to use Abby Canucks as the landing place for young players such as Jurmo.  Give these kids the ice time they need to develop.  Development > winning for the Abby Canucks.  If winning can be done with the prospects, then the Canucks are one step closer to being Tampa Bay/Syracuse system.

I agree with you IF the player has one of the two major qualities to take a big jump to the AHL.  Either great size or high hockey IQ... Hopefully both.  Jurmo has questions with his IQ so wouldn't want to overwhelm him with a league he's not ready for.  See how this year goes for him and assess for next year.  My god he looks huge out there though!  So hope he pans out.... 

Klimovich has both size, leadership and IQ so he's more of a candidate for Abby... Yet he'll probably head the the Q for the season.  No need to rush... But sure is nice to know that Abby is there when the player is ready.

• Cheers 1

On 6/16/2021 at 8:06 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If the Finns are anything like the Canadians or Americans, I’d make very little of it.

Jurmo isn’t a guy who was on the national team radar at a young age. If the Finnish system is anything like the ones in North America, it’s very hard for a player that hasn’t been picked at age 16/17 to get any kind of consideration for the team at 19. National teams play favourites, and they stick with the guys they know and have been there before.

Especially for a guy like Jurmo, who is considered very “raw” but with great “tools.” That’s not the profile of a player who’s going to be picked for short term competitions where a bunch of guys get thrown together, under new coaches and staff, to learn systems, execute them, build chemistry and gel, and create an entire functioning team in a short timeframe. In that situation, you’re probably not picking the guy who “needs some work” (whether it’s accurate or just reputation), no matter how gifted he may be.

I believe they call it “pedigree”