The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

Next 2 seasons could be interesting. Jurmo could boom or bust. He’s a raw talent but pretty dynamic when he’s on top of his game. Amazing skater, better than Hughes IMO. Dude sometimes looks like a giant ballerina. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reading posts from people who follow him on various forums he sounds like Myers. Tall and a good skater but needs to really work on his defensive game if he wants any shot at the bigs. I hope he can put it together, somebody called him the "turnover machine". Not a great endorsement, but he's young. 

9 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Reading posts from people who follow him on various forums he sounds like Myers. Tall and a good skater but needs to really work on his defensive game if he wants any shot at the bigs. I hope he can put it together, somebody called him the "turnover machine". Not a great endorsement, but he's young. 

He’s a lot like the Oilers Broberg.  I guy with amazing physical skills, but lack hockey smarts.  

54 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Needs a good defensive coach to get on him now and fix that. Might be a good idea to get him to Abby as soon as possible.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 1:53 PM, DeNiro said:

Needs a good defensive coach to get on him now and fix that. Might be a good idea to get him to Abby as soon as possible.

For me, this needs to be an organizational approach and one that influences the draft.  They should bringing players into the development system as soon as they possibly can and pick players who are eligible for the AHL before 20, when possible.

• Cheers 1

On 6/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, Alflives said:

He’s a lot like the Oilers Broberg.  I guy with amazing physical skills, but lack hockey smarts.  

Sounds like Virtanen but on defense. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's the impression I have too.  The game is played so fast now.  Can we have guys that process what's happening too slow to keep up?  

There is room for bigger, faster, stronger.

Here is a, it sounds similar, draft year profile quote for Erik Cernak;

A heavy checker, Cernak's biggest area of improvement this winter has been in his passing decisions and general reading of the game, as some baffling mistakes in earlier years often overshadowed his raw abilities. A five tool player, he can do everything above average and yet is also very willing to offer himself for the team in blocking shots and dealing with the rough stuff everywhere on the ice, including in front of the crease.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Here is a, it sounds similar, draft year profile quote for Erik Cernak;

Speaking of Cernak; I wonder if a deal can be made for him before the expansion draft. TB looks to be in a bit of a bind as to who they protect. On the D it looks like Hedman. McDonagh and Sergachev with Cernak being the odd man out. He is a big RD with decent skill and snarl at a reasonable cap hit.

57 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Speaking of Cernak; I wonder if a deal can be made for him before the expansion draft. TB looks to be in a bit of a bind as to who they protect. On the D it looks like Hedman. McDonagh and Sergachev with Cernak being the odd man out. He is a big RD with decent skill and snarl at a reasonable cap hit.

McDonaugh probably gets exposed I think...  plus don’t forget they have Cal Foote.  

They either send out a pick to keep their dman or else just bite the bullet.  I can’t see them sending out a dman and losing two guys. 

On 6/2/2021 at 9:11 PM, stawns said:

For me, this needs to be an organizational approach and one that influences the draft.  They should bringing players into the development system as soon as they possibly can and pick players who are eligible for the AHL before 20, when possible.

I read recently that the last round of negotiations for the transfer agreement actually removed the AHL age 20 exemption for IIHF member leagues, meaning that European players from leagues governed by the transfer agreement are no longer allowed to play in the AHL as teenagers, and must be age 20, same as CHL players.

I’ll try to find that source later today, because it was a very interesting wrinkle in the new transfer agreement.

Also, I’m not sure if it was the full IIHF or just the Swedish federation that secured these concessions. The Swedes have been the main driver of change in the transfer agreement and they have pushed very hard for new rules that allow them to keep their players in Sweden longer, unless those players are going straight into the NHL.

EDIT: Also, re: Jurmo and his new Liiga contract, the transfer agreement necessitates that his contract includes an out clause, as NHL “exclusive rights” to drafted players (within the term of those draft rights) supersede any contract with a league governed by the transfer agreement. So, if and when Jurmo is ready for an ELC, he can sign one and it will automatically break his Euro contract, allowing him to come over, if and when the Canucks feel he’s ready.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

McDonaugh probably gets exposed I think...  plus don’t forget they have Cal Foote.  

They either send out a pick to keep their dman or else just bite the bullet.  I can’t see them sending out a dman and losing two guys. 

I had totally overlooked Foote.

You are probably right in that it would be better for them to send a pick to Seattle to take __________ instead.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I read recently that the last round of negotiations for the transfer agreement actually removed the AHL age 20 exemption for IIHF member leagues, meaning that European players from leagues governed by the transfer agreement are no longer allowed to play in the AHL as teenagers, and must be age 20, same as CHL players.

I’ll try to find that source later today, because it was a very interesting wrinkle in the new transfer agreement.

Also, I’m not sure if it was the full IIHF or just the Swedish federation that secured these concessions. The Swedes have been the main driver of change in the transfer agreement and they have pushed very hard for new rules that allow them to keep their players in Sweden longer, unless those players are going straight into the NHL.

EDIT: Also, re: Jurmo and his new Liiga contract, the transfer agreement necessitates that his contract includes an out clause, as NHL “exclusive rights” to drafted players (within the term of those draft rights) supersede any contract with a league governed by the transfer agreement. So, if and when Jurmo is ready for an ELC, he can sign one and it will automatically break his Euro contract, allowing him to come over, if and when the Canucks feel he’s ready.

If they do that they should raise the draft age.  Truly that's the real solution

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

If they do that they should raise the draft age.  Truly that's the real solution

I feel like the league has been dragging its feet on that.... it’d be nice to see guys after that extra year of development.

Edited by J-Dizzle

On 6/4/2021 at 10:14 AM, stawns said:

Yeah, that would be nice. I know some of the European federations have tried to push for this, but the NHL is still pretty resistant.

Also, re: the age 20 stuff and the AHL, just a bit of a clarification. I went back and checked some of the articles and releases, and it’s a little different than what I said earlier.

There were reports that the European federations had been given the same conditions as the CHL/NHL agreement, meaning that European prospects would need to be 20 years old to play in the AHL. But this appears to be a misunderstanding.

What seems to have happened is that a version of the what the Swedish federation had negotiated was extended to all the signatories on the new transfer agreement.

The Swedes at one point had a rule in place where any drafted prospects signed to NHL ELCs under age 22 had to be loaned back to their Swedish club, if they didn’t make the NHL. First round picks were exempt, but picks from rounds 2-7 would be loaned back, rather than sent to the AHL.

The new terms appear to be that any European prospect (under the transfer agreement, KHL not included), drafted in rounds 2-7, must be offered back on loan to his European club, if he’s signed within the first 3 years of his 4 year draft rights, and does not make his NHL team.

So, basically, that means, in most cases, a European drafted in rounds 2-7 will need to be 21 or older (first three years of draft rights are usually age 18/19, 19/20, 20/21) before he can be assigned to the AHL. Unless his European club declines the loan, or some other arrangement/accommodation is made.

There aren’t any good articles on this stuff, and the ones I’ve looked at today either don’t get into the details, or report them incorrectly, but he’s a tweet that breaks it down fairly clearly:

The Europeans have really pushed for greater rights to hold onto their young players, unless those players are in the NHL. One of the governing bodies over there commissioned a study several years back that looks at outcomes for European players who went the AHL path early on (like ages 18-22), and the results were quite discouraging. The study showed that European prospects who were developed through the AHL were far less successful in becoming NHL regulars, compared the those who remained in Europe, and then went over when they were older and more ready. They also found that European players who spent time in the AHL and then returned to Europe had inferior European careers to similar quality youth players who remained in Europe for their entire development, and then continued to play in elite Euro leagues. Basically, from the European perspective, the AHL steals their players, ruins them, doesn’t offer better odds for their prospects actually becoming everyday NHLers, compared to development in Europe with their home clubs, and returns inferior players, once they’ve been used up in the AHL, and finally come back home to play in Europe. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Autocorrect changed AHL to NHL
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2