The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next 2 seasons could be interesting. Jurmo could boom or bust. He’s a raw talent but pretty dynamic when he’s on top of his game. Amazing skater, better than Hughes IMO. Dude sometimes looks like a giant ballerina. 

• Hydration 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading posts from people who follow him on various forums he sounds like Myers. Tall and a good skater but needs to really work on his defensive game if he wants any shot at the bigs. I hope he can put it together, somebody called him the "turnover machine". Not a great endorsement, but he's young. 

9 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Reading posts from people who follow him on various forums he sounds like Myers. Tall and a good skater but needs to really work on his defensive game if he wants any shot at the bigs. I hope he can put it together, somebody called him the "turnover machine". Not a great endorsement, but he's young. 

He’s a lot like the Oilers Broberg.  I guy with amazing physical skills, but lack hockey smarts.  

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s a lot like the Oilers Broberg.  I guy with amazing physical skills, but lack hockey smarts.  

Good thing we didn't drop a top 10 pick on him, eh? ::D

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Needs a good defensive coach to get on him now and fix that. Might be a good idea to get him to Abby as soon as possible.

• Like 2
On 6/1/2021 at 1:53 PM, DeNiro said:

Needs a good defensive coach to get on him now and fix that. Might be a good idea to get him to Abby as soon as possible.

For me, this needs to be an organizational approach and one that influences the draft.  They should bringing players into the development system as soon as they possibly can and pick players who are eligible for the AHL before 20, when possible.

• Hydration 1
On 6/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, Alflives said:

Sounds like Virtanen but on defense. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Sounds like Virtanen but on defense. 

That's the impression I have too.  The game is played so fast now.  Can we have guys that process what's happening too slow to keep up?  

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's the impression I have too.  The game is played so fast now.  Can we have guys that process what's happening too slow to keep up?  

There is room for bigger, faster, stronger.

Here is a, it sounds similar, draft year profile quote for Erik Cernak;

A heavy checker, Cernak's biggest area of improvement this winter has been in his passing decisions and general reading of the game, as some baffling mistakes in earlier years often overshadowed his raw abilities. A five tool player, he can do everything above average and yet is also very willing to offer himself for the team in blocking shots and dealing with the rough stuff everywhere on the ice, including in front of the crease.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Here is a, it sounds similar, draft year profile quote for Erik Cernak;

Speaking of Cernak; I wonder if a deal can be made for him before the expansion draft. TB looks to be in a bit of a bind as to who they protect. On the D it looks like Hedman. McDonagh and Sergachev with Cernak being the odd man out. He is a big RD with decent skill and snarl at a reasonable cap hit.

57 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Speaking of Cernak; I wonder if a deal can be made for him before the expansion draft. TB looks to be in a bit of a bind as to who they protect. On the D it looks like Hedman. McDonagh and Sergachev with Cernak being the odd man out. He is a big RD with decent skill and snarl at a reasonable cap hit.

McDonaugh probably gets exposed I think...  plus don’t forget they have Cal Foote.  

They either send out a pick to keep their dman or else just bite the bullet.  I can’t see them sending out a dman and losing two guys. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2021 at 9:11 PM, stawns said:

For me, this needs to be an organizational approach and one that influences the draft.  They should bringing players into the development system as soon as they possibly can and pick players who are eligible for the AHL before 20, when possible.

I read recently that the last round of negotiations for the transfer agreement actually removed the AHL age 20 exemption for IIHF member leagues, meaning that European players from leagues governed by the transfer agreement are no longer allowed to play in the AHL as teenagers, and must be age 20, same as CHL players.

I’ll try to find that source later today, because it was a very interesting wrinkle in the new transfer agreement.

Also, I’m not sure if it was the full IIHF or just the Swedish federation that secured these concessions. The Swedes have been the main driver of change in the transfer agreement and they have pushed very hard for new rules that allow them to keep their players in Sweden longer, unless those players are going straight into the NHL.

EDIT: Also, re: Jurmo and his new Liiga contract, the transfer agreement necessitates that his contract includes an out clause, as NHL “exclusive rights” to drafted players (within the term of those draft rights) supersede any contract with a league governed by the transfer agreement. So, if and when Jurmo is ready for an ELC, he can sign one and it will automatically break his Euro contract, allowing him to come over, if and when the Canucks feel he’s ready.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
29 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

McDonaugh probably gets exposed I think...  plus don’t forget they have Cal Foote.  

They either send out a pick to keep their dman or else just bite the bullet.  I can’t see them sending out a dman and losing two guys. 

I had totally overlooked Foote.

You are probably right in that it would be better for them to send a pick to Seattle to take __________ instead.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I read recently that the last round of negotiations for the transfer agreement actually removed the AHL age 20 exemption for IIHF member leagues, meaning that European players from leagues governed by the transfer agreement are no longer allowed to play in the AHL as teenagers, and must be age 20, same as CHL players.

I’ll try to find that source later today, because it was a very interesting wrinkle in the new transfer agreement.

Also, I’m not sure if it was the full IIHF or just the Swedish federation that secured these concessions. The Swedes have been the main driver of change in the transfer agreement and they have pushed very hard for new rules that allow them to keep their players in Sweden longer, unless those players are going straight into the NHL.

EDIT: Also, re: Jurmo and his new Liiga contract, the transfer agreement necessitates that his contract includes an out clause, as NHL “exclusive rights” to drafted players (within the term of those draft rights) supersede any contract with a league governed by the transfer agreement. So, if and when Jurmo is ready for an ELC, he can sign one and it will automatically break his Euro contract, allowing him to come over, if and when the Canucks feel he’s ready.

If they do that they should raise the draft age.  Truly that's the real solution

• Hydration 2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stawns said:

If they do that they should raise the draft age.  Truly that's the real solution

I feel like the league has been dragging its feet on that.... it’d be nice to see guys after that extra year of development.

Edited by J-Dizzle
On 6/1/2021 at 2:37 PM, 204CanucksFan said:

I think playing next season in Liiga on Jukurit and having Olli Jokinen as a head coach will be really good for him and then bring him over to get accustomed to North American hockey after that.

If you know you know...

• Haha 2
  • Sedinery 1