The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Tyler Johnson

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Absolutely. Tampa is screwed so JB makes the call and offers up our first to snag Sergachev or try to make a deal for either Cernak or Serg. If Tampa doesn't want to dance JB offers sheets his target. 

I hope we try to get Cernak

• Upvote 1

Absolutely. Tampa is screwed so JB makes the call and offers up our first to snag Sergachev or try to make a deal for either Cernak or Serg. If Tampa doesn't want to dance JB offers sheets his target. 

Short of an overpayment I don’t see either guy signing an offer sheet with Vancouver.  I’m sure they both have assurances from Brisebois that Tampa will find the money to get them signed.  

As great as Sergachev is, I actually see Cernak (which assets we'd have to give, cost/cap hit, position, style) as the better fit for the Canucks. Can't think of many reasonable/available fits that would be better for Hughes - maybe D. Savard.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Short of an overpayment I don’t see either guy signing an offer sheet with Vancouver.  I’m sure they both have assurances from Brisebois that Tampa will find the money to get them signed.  

When we look at how GMs have struggled to clear cap so far this pandemic off-season, not sure how solid those assurances can be.

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

When we look at how GMs have struggled to clear cap so far this pandemic off-season, not sure how solid those assurances can be.

Sure. But if you’re on a team thst just won the cup in a state with no state taxes and beautiful weather. You take a “wait and see” approach 

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think if push comes to shove they deal Cirelli and keep Serg/Cernak.

They're loaded up front and don't have many D.

They don’t have room for those two guys as it stands.  They have room for zero of them.

They have under $3 million in cap space and 4-5 players to sign.  If they go 10% over the cap, they can afford one of them.... but if they think they are over a barrel with trying to shed cap now, they would be seriously screwed then.

Cernak is a clear target for us if he would sign an offer sheet.  Honestly as would any of the three.

There is even a (risky) case for offer sheeting Sergachev.  It would mean we trade Virtanen and have a really weak right D... but you have Sergachev going forward.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Sure. But if you’re on a team thst just won the cup in a state with no state taxes and beautiful weather. You take a “wait and see” approach 

Yip. No state taxes. So we would have to offer sheet 6 million to equal an offer from Tampa of 5 million. Spread out this inequality through an entire team. All you defending this is an equal playing field please speakup now. 

• Cheers 1

It's a bit surprising as he could be similar to JT Miller and thrive with a bigger role, since Tampa is so stacked.  I bet being 30 years old already is the big mark against him.  Also, goes to show you how much owners are willing to spend in this covid world as he easily gets traded last year like Miller or would have been snapped up on waivers immediately.  Now, Tampa needs to package a draft pick or prospect with him.

Edited by FireGillis

The fact that Johnson has cleared waived is proof that the pandemic economics of the NHL bears no resemblance to previous years.  Teams just cannot afford to commit to 4 years for 2nd / 3rd line players. By my reckoning TAM will have to shed at least 6m in cap space if they want to retain Sergachev and Cernak.  Now is the perfect time to offer sheet either of these guys.  There is no way that TAM could afford to match an offer sheet even it were $3m range. Force TAM to give up assets or keep digging a deeper hole.

14 minutes ago, mll said:

We can take him if they give us Cernak along with it.

We send them a 2nd and Gaudette.  Seems pretty fair to me since there is no way they can afford all three of their RFAs.  This clears cap space and gives them more than the offer sheet compensation.

Miller-Petterson-Hughes

Pearson-Horvat-Johnson

Roussel-Sutter-Leivo 

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Ferland

Hughes-Cernak

Edler-Rafferty

Juolevi-Benn

Rathbone

That would be about the best possible lineup you could make out of this dogs breakfast at the moment.  We have to bury Eriksson and move on from Virtanen if we can.  Johnson is just a stopgap as he is a hometown Seattle guy and we expose him and backfill with Podkolzin the next year.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Great. Time for JB to offer sheet one of Cernak or Sergachev. No more Mr Nice Guy JB. F Tampa and nice guys finish last.

Yeah but JB's shown he doesn't operate that way.  Like with Miller, he goes straight up with teams when trying to acquire via usual means, rather than sneak around and force others' hands.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

We send them a 2nd and Gaudette.  Seems pretty fair to me since there is no way they can afford all three of their RFAs.  This clears cap space and gives them more than the offer sheet compensation.

Miller-Petterson-Hughes

Pearson-Horvat-Johnson

Roussel-Sutter-Leivo 

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Ferland

Hughes-Cernak

Edler-Rafferty

Juolevi-Benn

Rathbone

That would be about the best possible lineup you could make out of this dogs breakfast at the moment.  We have to bury Eriksson and move on from Virtanen if we can.  Johnson is just a stopgap as he is a hometown Seattle guy and we expose him and backfill with Podkolzin the next year.

nvm my bad

Edited by Teemu Selänne

35 minutes ago, Provost said:

Miller-Petterson-Hughes

Pearson-Horvat-Johnson

Roussel-Sutter-Leivo 

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Ferland

Hughes-Cernak

Edler-Rafferty

Juolevi-Benn

Rathbone

What does Benning (or his replacement) do if/when Seattle skips on taking him on?