The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Hoffman fielding interest from 5-6 teams, including NSH & FLA

5 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

You sayin' there's no quit in him?!!:lol:

Say what you will about LE, and the contract is obviously unfortunate, but he's always worked hard on and off the ice and does hustle constantly while not being a physical player.

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Say what you will about LE, and the contract is obviously unfortunate, but he's always worked hard on and off the ice and does hustle constantly while not being a physical player.

Maybe you should rethink the importance of “hustle” and put more emphasis on production. 

2019-2020

Reg Season 49 games - 6 goals and 7 assists (mostly empty net points) . He was also a minus 2. 
Playoffs 10 games - 0 goals, 0 assists

His “working hard” is meaningless.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Maybe you should rethink the importance of “hustle” and put more emphasis on production. 

2019-2020

Reg Season 49 games - 6 goals and 7 assists (mostly empty net points) . He was also a minus 2. 
Playoffs 10 games - 0 goals, 0 assists

His “working hard” is meaningless.

Bo (who btw was -15 in the regular season) says otherwise. I'm not saying LE is a great player anymore or that his contract is anything but abysmal at this point, just that he works hard and is not a negative factor to the team (except for the cap hit).

3 minutes ago, J-P said:

Bo (who btw was -15 in the regular season) says otherwise. I'm not saying LE is a great player anymore or that his contract is anything but abysmal at this point, just that he works hard and is not a negative factor to the team (except for the cap hit).

But why would a non producing player be given a roster spot when it ought to go to ones that actually produce? How do you not see the negatives in this?  Hell, give the spot to a prospect. At least the positive in that is the kid gets the experience and if he doesn’t pan out then try another prospect afterwards. 

LE, regardless of “working hard”, should not be on this team and in keeping him sends the wrong message to the others.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

But why would a non producing player be given a roster spot when it ought to go to ones that actually produce? How do you not see the negatives in this?  Hell, give the spot to a prospect. At least the positive in that is the kid gets the experience and if he doesn’t pan out then try another prospect afterwards. 

LE, regardless of “working hard”, should not be on this team and in keeping him sends the wrong message to the others.

I'm not arguing whether he should be on the team or not. He does provide some value defensively, but as you said doesn't produce offensively anymore and is a fringe player at best which is also obvious from his healthy scratches.

All I'm saying is that even though we all wish he would retire so we get rid of his cap hit I don't think it's fair to question his character or work level.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, J-P said:

I'm not arguing whether he should be on the team or not. He does provide some value defensively, but as you said doesn't produce offensively anymore and is a fringe player at best which is also obvious from his healthy scratches.

All I'm saying is that even though we all wish he would retire so we get rid of his cap hit I don't think it's fair to question his character or work level.

Plz e-mail a few GMs and tell them the  same  . R U literally JP Barry????

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2020 at 3:20 AM, Alienhuggyflow said:

If the cost of getting a guy who could pot 35-40 goals playing with the talent we have and the system we play  Is a 1st or a couple of 2nds etc, sign me up.

LE and his contract isn't factored into the cap that will be used to sign the Kids next summer either. 6 mill in extra cap plus the option to  trade Benn or buyout Sutter allows Benning to sign Hoffman and Vats.

Adding those 2 along with Joulevi, Podz and Hog at some point this season IMO easily makes us better and one of the top teams in the league. 

Next season's draft is looking weak after the top 10 and a lineup like this is not a lottery team. Imagine a Score that has 5 guys that could easily score 30 points that has solid puck movers on every line. A top-six where everyone should score 25+ a tandem that includes a Vezina Cup champion and a kid who looked unbeatable after Ian corrected things during the pause.

I don't usually make trade proposals or roster-building but I was hoping we moved on from yearsm all the guys that left, I was hoping for Holtby and when we got Nate and word came out we might be the team Hoffman is waiting on plus Vatanen not being signed yet it got me dreaming.

If it's a 1st or even a 1st plus another pick or a B prospect as well to get rid 

What was the confusing part or what didn't you agree with?

For what they cost term wise especially, I'm glad Benning moved on.

If it's my take on moving picks to dump LE fair enough I'm sure that's a divisive subject here.

For me, Hoffman is easily worth a first and  since LE doesn't figure into next offseason cap plans regarding Petey, Quinn or Thatch,

Sign him for 2  years and that's a much better use of LE cap. If they feel like there's a good chance Ferland is done why not sign Vatanen since Benning already had Ferland's cap hit figured into the cap situation when he signed him for four years.

Like I said in the other post this is just having fun and would be a dream situation.

Adding those two plus Nate and the additions of Joulevi and possibly Podz and Hogs in time for the 2nd half of the season gives us a hell of a talented team on paper. 

On 10/22/2020 at 12:04 AM, J-P said:

Well..... I’m not sure I’d classify it as hustle.  If you watch him during a defensive shift he has the intention of doing something but if that doesn’t work as expected he’s typically giving some half hearted attempt in autopilot.  Then he goes to shift off at a third of the speed of autopilot.  He’s mostly just going through the motions at this point.

• Upvote 1

Heard today on Sportnet 650 that teams are offering 3.5-4 to Hoffman right now.  I think everybody left is going to be going at a major discount.  Would be nice to pickup a player like Athanasiou or Granlund on a short term discount.  I think we are due for some FA contract luck.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I would totally be ok with Granlund for a year. I have a feeling he would put up solid points on our first line. Anhanasiou, not so much. He brings a lot of speed, but is a defensive nightmare.

I think he'd fit in better with a very structured, defensive team like the Islanders (if they had cap space). That's his jam and the situation he's had his best years in.

But if he signed cheap for a year, I sure wouldn't hate it... Just not sure where he'd fit... Or if we're his best fit. Perhaps on Horvat's wing as that's at least a more two way/match up line (even if that's not really our team system).

We'd also need to clear more cap than our current few hundred k. Even at a discount.

57 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Heard today on Sportnet 650 that teams are offering 3.5-4 to Hoffman right now.  I think everybody left is going to be going at a major discount.  Would be nice to pickup a player like Athanasiou or Granlund on a short term discount.  I think we are due for some FA contract luck.

We may be able to fit that if we buy out Sutter and use up some of the LTIR, but that would really depend if Ferland is really out forever.  Otherwise, Hoffman plays similar to a left handed Boeser, just worse defensively.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Tetsuro88 said:

We may be able to fit that if we buy out Sutter and use up some of the LTIR, but that would really depend if Ferland is really out forever.  Otherwise, Hoffman plays similar to a left handed Boeser, just worse defensively.

Still think we need Sutter to free up Horvat and keep him fresh.

Gaudette is probably not ready for that role and might be better suited for the wing right now.

• Cheers 2

On 10/22/2020 at 12:04 AM, J-P said:

https://www.bardown.com/loui-eriksson-says-his-poor-relationship-with-travis-green-is-to-blame-for-scoring-struggles-1.1300434

I'm sure a guy who wasn't breaking a sweat is working hard on the ice though.  The hardest I've seen him work was him moaning to the media for his coach finally sitting his useless butt in the press box where he belongs after Green finally got sick of the floating.   If you're going to be as lazy as that piece of garbage, you have no business playing professionally in any league, let alone the NHL.  He should have been suspended without pay after that garbage he spewed, and been sent to the Comets once he'd decided to at least attempt to play like an NHLer.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think he'd fit in better with a very structured, defensive team like the Islanders (if they had cap space). That's his jam and the situation he's had his best years in.

But if he signed cheap for a year, I sure wouldn't hate it... Just not sure where he'd fit... Or if we're his best fit. Perhaps on Horvat's wing as that's at least a more two way/match up line (even if that's not really our team system).

We'd also need to clear more cap than our current few hundred k. Even at a discount.

I don't think that just because we typically play an offensive-minded game that we can't add a defensive angle as well. In fact, I'd say that aspect is something that has been lacking on our team - despite Green seeming to prize 2-way play.

After thinking about it further, you're probably right on the 2nd line being a better fit, as far as how the 2nd is played against opponents. That leaves Brock to focus on getting his snipe back on.

I can't believe (or can I) how difficult it is to move cap this year. I thought for sure Benning would have found a way. One more top 6 would make a big difference for us, 1 year deals seem the rage this year, so its a perfect time to find a stop-gap until reinforcements arrive.

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I don't think that just because we typically play an offensive-minded game that we can't add a defensive angle as well. In fact, I'd say that aspect is something that has been lacking on our team - despite Green seeming to prize 2-way play.

After thinking about it further, you're probably right on the 2nd line being a better fit, as far as how the 2nd is played against opponents. That leaves Brock to focus on getting his snipe back on.

I can't believe (or can I) how difficult it is to move cap this year. I thought for sure Benning would have found a way. One more top 6 would make a big difference for us, 1 year deals seem the rage this year, so its a perfect time to find a stop-gap until reinforcements arrive.

The way Green wants to play is not a Boudreau or Trotz-like, lock it down defensively system. I'm not suggesting we can't play better defensively. It's simply different systems/styles of play. The likes of which Granlund has had his best seasons under.

It might work to some degree on a 2 way/defensive line with Horvat but the team plays the way Green wants it to, even that line. And that's not necessarily the best fit for Granlund. Particularly if he's looking at something like a one or two year 'Covid' deal at below his normal market value. He's going to want a team that's a good fit if he's taking a hair cut. Not sure that's us.

8 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

especially if Toffoli who is 3 years younger went for 4.2, that's reasonable for Hoffmans range and price.  When Toffoli's contract ends, he's literally still 32, Hoffman is already 31. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think the good Granlund would be a major player on Bo's wing. This guy was dominant for a while. Imagine the jokes we'd have. Great fit I say. B)

• Upvote 1