The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

On 6/4/2021 at 5:36 PM, janisahockeynut said:

When I took one of my coaching levels in Minor hockey, we had the BC U17 coach teach the class, he said, what so many pro people have said time and time again, you can't teach size, so when 2  or 3 people are ranked in the same tier, that is a factor that can separates them. In saying that, player agent Bobby Orr (yes that Bobby Orr) suggest that for a player to be elite, they must have at least 1 elite talent/skill, and also suggested when looking at talent.

When looking at the 4 players around where we pick..........McTavish, Johnson, Guenther, and Svechkov, it is really splitting hairs as to who is better, but one thing that stands out to me is size and team play. Of that, Johnson stands out as having less of those intangibles. More skill, but less of that. Svechkov on the other hand, gets ignored because he is Russian????? It is really a crap shoot when separating these four for me, but my ranking is probably in the right order for me, regardless of team need. (aka BPA)

Agree Jan, although I have slight concerns about the skating of McTavish, but may be wrong. I love size and a bit of bite to the game, but despite this, for me its Guenther then followed by Svechkov / McTavish... We need more than Podz with fire in the belly, but just feel Guenther is better than them. Not sure about Johnson... As stupid as it sounds, I actually wish, we could get a Russian player, who could be buddy with Podz... 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So.  Optimally Benning would/will need to find himself 2 additional early 2nd round picks

To get hemo-salami and stank-oven

Seems reasonable

:bigblush:

I mean they are probably both gone by the time those 2nds roll around but that doesn't mean you aren't right.

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Are you seriously upset about 6th round pick Atrym Manukian 

They all agreed on the Manukyan pick for the record.

He will never make the nhl for us, later on I would take flyers on guys who play physical that may lack a bit of foot speed as we know from experience players can improve that greatly. Or draft more D or C's over a midget winger

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

He will never make the nhl for us, later on I would take flyers on guys who play physical that may lack a bit of foot speed as we know from experience players can improve that greatly. Or draft more D or C's over a midget winger

So will 90% of the other guys we draft in the 6th. I like the idea that they drafted the guy with more $#!T'$ given per 60.

Also to be fair JB loves meat n potatoes It's not like they haven't drafted those guys. Manukyan is more of an exception than the rule.

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Sieder was also supposed to go end of round 1. 

Hindsight is 20/20 foresight is everything all I'm saying is what we all saw with our own eyes Heimosalmi was just plain better than Brand Clarke at the U18's and he didn't have Bedard, Wright, etc to feed. I'm not saying it's a home run can't miss Heimosalmi 1st overall. Infact I still have Clarke at #1 on my draft board I am saying take notice do your homework this kid is going to make you look stupid in 2 years when you're still trying to find a RHD through overpaying in trade because you drafted a flashy winger instead of the RHD you knew you needed.  

I was looking at my old mock drafts the other night, and I had Seider going 13. Not bragging this time, I really have no idea why; I'd hardly seen him play. I must have heard something from a reliable source.

But I think this is actually making your point for you. For those who have their ear to the ground, "supposed to" can mean something very different than it does for most. I completely agree with you anyway, I keep thinking back to that list a couple months ago that had Heimosalmi either 14 or 16. Somebody was way ahead of the curve there, and I wish I could remember where that list came from. I suspect Heimosalmi will end up going mid first. Maybe not 15, but perhaps more like late teens or early 20s.

On the other hand, I don't agree about how much better he was than Clarke at U18s. He won the award, so sure, I'll concede he was "objectively" better, but I certainly don't think it was to the extent you are making it out to be. Clarke had a fantastic tournament. I think the quality of teammates argument goes both ways - since Clarke was sharing the puck more, he didn't have to be relied on as heavily in transition as Heimosalmi was for Finland. I thought Clarke showed immense maturity and leadership in the way he controlled play from the back end, but without trying to do too much himself, if that makes sense - like the breakout would generally run through him, but he was distributing and finding opportunities to set up teammates to make plays.

Edited by HighOnHockey

20 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

On the other hand, I don't agree about how much better he was than Clarke at U18s. He won the award, so sure, I'll concede he was "objectively" better, but I certainly don't think it was to the extent you are making it out to be. Clarke had a fantastic tournament. I think the quality of teammates argument goes both ways - since Clarke was sharing the puck more, he didn't have to be relied on as heavily in transition as Heimosalmi was for Finland. I thought Clarke showed immense maturity and leadership in the way he controlled play from the back end, but without trying to do too much himself, if that makes sense - like the breakout would generally run through him, but he was distributing and finding opportunities to set up teammates to make plays.

That's fair and like I said in my previous post I still have Brandt ahead of course I do. I appreciated the maturity of his game. However in terms of contribution  to the success and failure of his team I did feel that Heimosalmi had the greatest impact on the flow of the game. 

Regardless it doesn't matter I'm probably still taking McTavish/Svechkov/Eklund/Beniers/Lysell/Wallstedt/Clarke if given the chance. But if JB  stuck his neck out and grabbed AH I could find alot of reasons to like it.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I see something really special in Stankoven. It's not every year a guy like that catches my eye. Like you said with Ehlers, I saw a little bit of Bure in him and a lot of skill and character. He hasn't exactly panned out that way, but he's a damn good player and one of the faces of their franchise.

The way Stankoven gets around the ice with his short quick strides allows him to be elusive, and his head for the game is already elite. Elite hockey sense for a lack of a less generic term. Very, very smart player. Opportunistic goal scorer, too, and an NHL-ready release. The only knock on him is his size. Needless to say, he's my favorite player in this year's draft!

I just fail to see any appeal Holtby would have to the Kraken. I grew up there near Seattle and Kent, and know a few people working in the sports media there. Used to be a big Sonics fan!

Anyhow, the general consensus is that the Canucks are really kind of lacking in tantalizing options aside from Lind and Gadjovich, with MacEwen being a solid size option. Holtby needed to be better and more consistent this year to be worth considering... 

Now, if the Canucks are able to make a trade or some kind of deal to ensure the Kraken take Holtby, that's another story. But it seems unlikely. 

Stankoven on a goal streak / heater would be lots of fun!

well I think you nailed ehlers tbh he would have been a great pick for us.

i remember I was huge on Nick Ritchie and Nylander wasn’t so keen on ehlers but I was wrong.

ya Holtby would just be a dream it seems now. Lind seems to be the most desirable. Be nice if we could protect him. to Try and force them taking someone with salary implications .

Well I look forward to seeing how stankoven turns out and where he goes in the draft! Thanks for sharing mate 

I thought Hoglander was an obvious talent in his draft year and had him as a late 1st rounder (or a run-to-the-podium 2nd rounder).  Was obviously thrilled when we took him, and of course impressed by his rookie campaign.

Stankoven gives me similar vibes. Smaller frame, but his offensive skills are what I would call exceptional. Prime 2nd round pick for me.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't know, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Wallstedt go 2nd overall. SEA will need a star goaltender for their future. Build from the net out.

That’s a good idea. I honestly hadn’t thought of that. I think if Buffalo picks Power then there is a reasonable chance that SEA goes with Wallstedt. But if Buffalo goes with anyone else, then I imagine SEA will take Power. 

I really hope that Wallstedt does go anywhere before our pick because that will mean that Benning and co will have their choice between two of the players in which seems to be shaking out to be the top nine this year: 

Power

Beniers

Edvinsson

Clarke

Eklund

Hughes

Guenther

McTavish

Johnson

Of course a few of those names will certainly by off the board by the time we pick; Power and Beniers come to mind. 

Then again maybe Benning is targeting one of the other many talented players, such as Sillinger, Lucius, Lysell, Svechkov, etc. My gut tells me that if it’s anyone outside of the nine listed above that it’s Sillinger. 

I did find it interesting though that the other day Benning did mention that there are nine players he really likes and that there really does (IMO) seem to be nine players that are rounding out the top of this draft. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck

On 6/4/2021 at 9:05 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

But makes up with it with world class positioning, reflexes, and spacial awareness. Easily the most technical sound goalie prospect of the last 10 years. 

His positioning is good but not world class man.  He tends to overangle on shots leaving agood chunk of the net wide open. This was pretty evident during the playoffs vs skelleftea. His lateral movement is also vry slow. However, he can track the puck well and he is scary good at handling the puck. 

4 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

That’s a good idea. I honestly hadn’t thought of that. I think if Buffalo picks Power then there is a reasonable chance that SEA goes with Wallstedt. But if Buffalo goes with anyone else, then I imagine SEA will take Power. 

I really hope that Wallstedt does go anywhere before our pick because that will mean that Benning and co will have their choice between two of the players in which seems to be shaking out to be the top nine this year: 

Power

Beniers

Edvinsson

Clarke

Eklund

Hughes

Guenther

McTavish

Johnson

Of course a few of those names will certainly by off the board by the time we pick; Power and Beniers come to mind. 

Then again maybe Benning is targeting one of the other many talented players, such as Sillinger, Lucius, Lysell, Svechkov, etc. My gut tells me that if it’s anyone outside of the nine listed above that it’s Sillinger. 

I did find it interesting though that the other day Benning did mention that there are nine players he really likes and that there really does (IMO) seem to be nine players that are rounding out the top of this draft. 

Sillinger is one for sure. Benning tends to value speed and the ability for the fire the puck as probably two of his most valuable qualities in his draft prospects.

• Cheers 1