Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

For me, its Clarke or 9th

 

So, if we can trade up and get Clarke, I do it, within reason

 

Otherwise as HighOnHockey has stated, there are plenty of good options at 9 OA

 

But looking at the 2nd and 3rd rounds there are some nice Dmen there too, it is just trying to pick the right one that is difficult

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

For me, its Clarke or 9th

 

So, if we can trade up and get Clarke, I do it, within reason

 

Otherwise as HighOnHockey has stated, there are plenty of good options at 9 OA

 

But looking at the 2nd and 3rd rounds there are some nice Dmen there too, it is just trying to pick the right one that is difficult

Cernak for 9OA

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Cernak for 9OA

I don't know Bert

 

Let's pose a question or 2

 

What if in 2 years, Rathbone is a solid Number 2, who is as good on defense is he is on offense

 

What does that mean?

 

What if Quinn never really gets his defensive game together..........Right now he is a PP specialist, albeit an elite one, that is neither a #1 or #2

 

To me, I feel we are not there yet and because of that, picking a very good RHD is important if given the chance

 

Maybe we don't get him, but to me there is alot of questions still not answered

 

and I do not want to see Jim jump the gun.

 

I say, lets keep the pick, or move up, and then in the summer, lets look at what we have and how long we have to wait........

 

Then let's make a move if we have to.

 

Let's remember that the JT MIller trade was a 2019 - 3rd, and a conditional 2020 - 1st, that would slide to 2021, if we did not make the playoffs.

 

IMO, that is what I would like to see

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't know Bert

 

Let's pose a question or 2

 

What if in 2 years, Rathbone is a solid Number 2, who is as good on defense is he is on offense

 

What does that mean?

 

What if Quinn never really gets his defensive game together..........Right now he is a PP specialist, albeit an elite one, that is neither a #1 or #2

 

To me, I feel we are not there yet and because of that, picking a very good RHD is important if given the chance

 

Maybe we don't get him, but to me there is alot of questions still not answered

 

and I do not want to see Jim jump the gun.

 

I say, lets keep the pick, or move up, and then in the summer, lets look at what we have and how long we have to wait........

 

Then let's make a move if we have to.

 

Let's remember that the JT MIller trade was a 2019 - 3rd, and a conditional 2020 - 1st, that would slide to 2021, if we did not make the playoffs.

 

IMO, that is what I would like to see

Its almost like you’re making it out that im impatient or sumtin.

 

image.gif.727675f559f56c68188b5927547e23d6.gif

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

i cant remember jb's exact quote but he talked about liking 9 players for this draft. depending on his criteria, if he was talking about those he deemed not likely to be picked, say top 6, he could have a number of 'liked' prospects available to him when he takes the cyber podium.

 

hypothetically, if there were 4 players still available at our pick, i wonder what he could receive for moving down 4 spots and still being guaranteed of getting one of his targets.

 

another second would be nice

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

For me, its Clarke or 9th

 

So, if we can trade up and get Clarke, I do it, within reason

 

Otherwise as HighOnHockey has stated, there are plenty of good options at 9 OA

 

But looking at the 2nd and 3rd rounds there are some nice Dmen there too, it is just trying to pick the right one that is difficult

Well since you mentioned me, I should say for the record, I would be strongly in favor of trading the pick if the right young player was available.

 

As someone who follows prospects and the draft religiously, yes I love my teams to make high picks and nab my favorite prospects, but I also know as well as anyone the value of draft picks and the risks involved. Couldn't tell you how many times I've been super stoked for a prospect and they flopped.

 

Like I said about Kent Johnson, I could get excited if the Canucks picked him, but I'm not sure there is going to be anyone available at 9 that I just have to have. Sillinger would likely be the closest thing, and I'm not sure he's a Benning type of pick. Beyond my top four of Clarke, Power, Beniers, Eklund, I'm just not blown away by any prospects in this draft. Even Hughes, I have him ranked 5 or 6, but he worries me a little bit - not to the extent of an Edvinsson or Lambos, but enough that I'm not exactly growing tumescent with anticipation at the thought of picking him. I'd be very happy with McTavish, Guenther, or Svechkov, but I'm not convinced that any are top line players. If the team's scouts feel there is someone available who could be a big ticket investment item, then sure, buy up all the shares and sell that puppy for a killing in a couple years. But I think there could be better options available on the trade market.

 

Not sure what it would cost to get Reinhart, and I'm not the biggest fan of the player, but if they'd do it for 9th straight across then of course you do it. Wouldn't want to add much though. Erik Cernak is a borderline elite shutdown defenseman who just turned 24. 9th overall would be a steep price for him, but it would absolutely be worth exploring. Everyone is clamoring for a right shot D; well you're not getting one at the draft that's going to fill that need in the top four for another four or five years.

 

Don't think I'd want to be involved in the Seth Jones or Jack Eichel sweepstakes, given what the asking price is going to be. One of Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn, or Jordan Kyrou could be options out of St. Louis. Without digging more deeply than I feel like right now, not sure who would have to add what exactly, but all three are pretty exciting young players. And again, I don't feel like getting too into it and start looking into which teams have cap trouble and what young players they might have available, but there are always more names out there than the few everyone is talking about.

 

I know some people are worried about the cap when talking about adding a player, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Teams that are current Cup contenders will have high interest in a piece like J.T. Miller or Nate Schmidt, and they'd fit one of those teams' situations better than the Canucks right now, likely in a separate deal from the 9th overall.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just a qestion, but if we offered our 2021-9th + 2022-2nd to Detroit, do you think Detroit takes the deal?

Any talk about trading up or down prior to the draft just doesn't make sense. You have to wait until draft day and see what's available. No way Detroit is going to trade away 6th overall in advance and then watch as Matthew Beniers is available for that pick, for example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Right now he is a PP specialist, albeit an elite one, that is neither a #1 or #2

 

That’s just not true. Quinn struggled this year - which is surprising given how well the rest of the team did :ph34r: - but he is way more than just a power play specialist. 
 

The league did figure out how to play him better this past year, so we’ll see how he adjusts but the kid eats up minutes by possessing the puck, and has shown himself as more than capable of moving the puck quickly out of the dzone. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft-eligible players I'd rather take a chance on than current-day Sam Reinhart:

 

- Power
- Clarke

- Beniers

- Eklund

- maybe McTavish

 

That's about it. Samson is a great player and would be a fantastic addition to our team. Having ELC contributors is so key though...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well since you mentioned me, I should say for the record, I would be strongly in favor of trading the pick if the right young player was available.

 

As someone who follows prospects and the draft religiously, yes I love my teams to make high picks and nab my favorite prospects, but I also know as well as anyone the value of draft picks and the risks involved. Couldn't tell you how many times I've been super stoked for a prospect and they flopped.

 

Like I said about Kent Johnson, I could get excited if the Canucks picked him, but I'm not sure there is going to be anyone available at 9 that I just have to have. Sillinger would likely be the closest thing, and I'm not sure he's a Benning type of pick. Beyond my top four of Clarke, Power, Beniers, Eklund, I'm just not blown away by any prospects in this draft. Even Hughes, I have him ranked 5 or 6, but he worries me a little bit - not to the extent of an Edvinsson or Lambos, but enough that I'm not exactly growing tumescent with anticipation at the thought of picking him. I'd be very happy with McTavish, Guenther, or Svechkov, but I'm not convinced that any are top line players. If the team's scouts feel there is someone available who could be a big ticket investment item, then sure, buy up all the shares and sell that puppy for a killing in a couple years. But I think there could be better options available on the trade market.

 

Not sure what it would cost to get Reinhart, and I'm not the biggest fan of the player, but if they'd do it for 9th straight across then of course you do it. Wouldn't want to add much though. Erik Cernak is a borderline elite shutdown defenseman who just turned 24. 9th overall would be a steep price for him, but it would absolutely be worth exploring. Everyone is clamoring for a right shot D; well you're not getting one at the draft that's going to fill that need in the top four for another four or five years.

 

Don't think I'd want to be involved in the Seth Jones or Jack Eichel sweepstakes, given what the asking price is going to be. One of Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn, or Jordan Kyrou could be options out of St. Louis. Without digging more deeply than I feel like right now, not sure who would have to add what exactly, but all three are pretty exciting young players. And again, I don't feel like getting too into it and start looking into which teams have cap trouble and what young players they might have available, but there are always more names out there than the few everyone is talking about.

 

I know some people are worried about the cap when talking about adding a player, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Teams that are current Cup contenders will have high interest in a piece like J.T. Miller or Nate Schmidt, and they'd fit one of those teams' situations better than the Canucks right now, likely in a separate deal from the 9th overall.

Don't need to become top line players to help the Canucks in their current situation. Drafting either Mac Tavish or Dylan Guenther would be huge for the Canucks because I see  both of them becoming goal scoring wingers on the 2nd line. That's exactly what Canucks need: more goal scoring wingers in the top 6 to finally kick Pearson out of the top 6. He doesn't belong there.

 

My personal opinion is that both will be gone when Canucks pick at 9. Best thing Benning could do is to find either a young top 4 D-Man with term or a young goal scoring winger for the top 6 and try to get such players using the 9oa.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, granpappy said:

i cant remember jb's exact quote but he talked about liking 9 players for this draft. depending on his criteria, if he was talking about those he deemed not likely to be picked, say top 6, he could have a number of 'liked' prospects available to him when he takes the cyber podium.

 

hypothetically, if there were 4 players still available at our pick, i wonder what he could receive for moving down 4 spots and still being guaranteed of getting one of his targets.

 

another second would be nice

 

 

Yes indeed,

 

GMJB spoke about a talent drop off after what the player the Canucks have ranked as their top 9. I do like the strategy of dropping down a spot or two or three if you can still get your player and grab and extra later round pick in the process. Usually this would entail knowing who the other team wants and being able to bluf them that you are taking that player and see if they will make a move.

 

Lots of gaming goes on at the draft tables.... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just a qestion, but if we offered our 2021-9th + 2022-2nd to Detroit, do you think Detroit takes the deal?

I remember that there were rumors ahead of the 2019 draft that Ken Holland (at this time Detroits GM) wanted a 2nd round pick from Jim in order to move down from 6 to 10. Did not happen because Jim felt a 2nd round pick is way to valuable to lose for trading up 4 spots from 10 to 6.

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Any talk about trading up or down prior to the draft just doesn't make sense. You have to wait until draft day and see what's available. No way Detroit is going to trade away 6th overall in advance and then watch as Matthew Beniers is available for that pick, for example.

I totally agree with this and would expect that any trade would come with its own set of qualifiers............

 

IMO, in this draft, I am of the opinion that Detroit, who needs practically everything, except RHD, would go after an elite Goalie or as you say Center if they came up. I would assume (Oh, oh) that a LHD would be high on their list as well, but for some reason, with Wallstedt being such a elite goalie, i could see them going for that.  But in saying that, 

they could easily go after Cossa with their 2nd -1st, so yesh, its probably Benier, then one of Hughes, or Edvinsson.

 

And in saying all that, yes, it totally matters who is still on the board, and what the Canucks offer is, and yes, it is totally a game day decision, but honestly, what GM would trade until he knows what is what.

 

I would imagine, Benning, if he wanted Clarke, would offer it, at each draft position until he is gone or we pick.

 

My opinion, is the Canucks need a young RHD Dman, more than anything, by a large margin, so if we were to trade our 9th for a player, it should be for a young RHD that is already playing in the NHL and has upside. Cernak would be awesome, but for a 9th? I doubt it, as Tampa needs the cap space he creates. I am notsre who else is out there that fits the bill.

 

I also thing that the Canucks RHD is somewhat confusing in that the 2 Dman we have there now (Myers and Schmidt) as Benning signed Myers to be a 2/3 RHD, and that is exactly what Schmidt is (IMO), so they are both plugged into the same hole sort of speak. I find our RHD confusing in make up.

 

I would also move Schmidt "IF" the price was right, only because you can not move Myers as easily.

 

Always enjoy our reads....keep them coming!

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

cernak, jost

 

10 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Cernak for 9OA

We...we can do better right?

 

I mean...right?

 

I hope

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

That’s just not true. Quinn struggled this year - which is surprising given how well the rest of the team did :ph34r: - but he is way more than just a power play specialist. 
 

The league did figure out how to play him better this past year, so we’ll see how he adjusts but the kid eats up minutes by possessing the puck, and has shown himself as more than capable of moving the puck quickly out of the dzone. 
 

 

Sorry buddy, but Hughes defensive game is terrible, which makes him a liability at even strength. a true #1 or #2, can handle even strength play with out costing his team too much.

 

When you  look at his even strength play, and PP play, he still comes out as a minus player, so he needs to be sheltered in someway.............basically what I am saying is if you played Hughes 60 minutes a game, we would loose every game, because he is a negitive player.if it gets better, great, but not if its sheltered minutes to get better.

 

He is young and there is time to improve...time will tell!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...