The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Happy Youtube GIF by Rosanna Pansino

I've said it earlier in this thread that I would be excited if we picked Svechkov. He's signed with Podkolzin's old team for next season. So while he might get the "kid treatment" there, it's a sign that they see the talent to pry him away from another squad.

The best part if Benning took him is the overreaction of why we took him. Of course if we could trade down and gain an asset and still nab him, then even better (which is what some would complain about while ignoring that it takes two to tango), I wouldn't be upset one but if we did end up picking him at #9.

Svechkov has a lot of Larionov in his game.  He’s a very responsible and cerebral player, that is subtly very good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, austy said:

Morrows skating looks pretty great. 

Sadly Morris will be long gone before we pick at 40.  I’d be surprised if he’s not gone in round one.  Hell, with that kind of size, skill, and character he might go top 20.  

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm going to go a little off the board, I would select Fyodor Svechkov.

The more I read on this guy and watch his highlights, his overall game seems a lot more refined at age 18 but yet still a lot more room to improve. Same knocks on Podkolzin in his draft year, is the same for Fyodor Svechkov. Very good in transition player, dominates possession, but due to a poor team and lack of good finishers, Svechkov's numbers are less than glamorous. 

He isn't a sexy pick, but I could easily see Jim Benning making this pick. 

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I've said it earlier in this thread that I would be excited if we picked Svechkov. He's signed with Podkolzin's old team for next season. So while he might get the "kid treatment" there, it's a sign that they see the talent to pry him away from another squad.

The best part if Benning took him is the overreaction of why we took him. Of course if we could trade down and gain an asset and still nab him, then even better (which is what some would complain about while ignoring that it takes two to tango), I wouldn't be upset one but if we did end up picking him at #9.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Svechkov has a lot of Larionov in his game.  He’s a very responsible and cerebral player, that is subtly very good.  

How long do the Canucks have to wait for him to come to NA, 2 years?

12 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

According to EliteProspects his contract with SKA runs through until the end of the KHL's 2023 season. So it would be at least 2 years for him.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

At least 2 years, but that is pretty much standard development time and he will be in a men's league. Power who's projected to go #1 is likely to stay another year in college also. This isn't a draft where anyone needs to be rushed into the NHL.

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The Sedins talked about "winning matchups" being the most important aspect for winning games. Svechkov is allegedly a "defensive genius", and seems to have no problem putting up points too - so he could be the perfect pick (as far as that philosophy goes). I could see him being a mind-f*ck pick by Kekalainen at 5. I mean, they picked Chinakhov last year, so it's possible... :ph34r:

Then when the Sedins inevitably take the reigns for this team, they should bring Larionov over from Russia to join the organization in an executive's role. Imagine the collective IQ between those three... Alien-esque!!!!

I don't imagine Svechkov will be our pick though.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

The Sedins talked about "winning matchups" being the most important aspect for winning games. Svechkov is allegedly a "defensive genius", and seems to have no problem putting up points too - so he could be the perfect pick (as far as that philosophy goes). I could see him being a mind-f*ck pick by Kekalainen at 5. I mean, they picked Chinakhov last year, so it's possible... :ph34r:

Then when the Sedins inevitably take the reigns for this team, they should bring Larionov over from Russia to join the organization in an executive's role. Imagine the collective IQ between those three... Alien-esque!!!!

That would be the brain trust of all time for sure!!!   One can dream!

8 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I am officially on the pick Johnson the local kid bandwagon, I just want to see a local kid get selected by us and become a quality contributor to the team with the end goal of hoisting the Stanley Cup. So if available, pick the local kid!

Sounds like Detroit is also very high on him, so he might go at 6 instead of many CDC people saying G Wallstedt is their guy...only time will tell I guess!

I'm with you on this guy. He was at the game when Burrows slayed the dragon so by my books some of the dragon slayer-ness has most likely moved from one generation to the next.

https://www.tsn.ca/b-c-boy-kent-johnson-brings-creative-flair-to-nhl-draft-class-1.1659673

• Like 3

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

At least 2 years, but that is pretty much standard development time and he will be in a men's league. Power who's projected to go #1 is likely to stay another year in college also. This isn't a draft where anyone needs to be rushed into the NHL.

But Benning doesnt have time to wait 2 years to save his job 

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I heard that same thing before he drafted Podkolzin :lol:

Yeah it's the same false narrative that's been around for awhile that's constantly been proven wrong. Unfortunately once they want to believe that narrative , it's impossible to tell them otherwise 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, R3aL said:

The chance either of them make it to 9 is very low.

But I would love either of them.

i think Clarke is bpa in entire draft so I go Clarke.

Yeah your right. I don’t think Clarke or Hughes drops to 9. If anyone drops, its probably Evidsson (sp?). 

Man, this draft is so unpredictable, it’s insane. I’m sure we’ll get a good player at 9th. Hoping that management doesn’t screw this pick up. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/22/2021 at 7:56 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

Horvath will still be with this team and in his prime well beyond 2 or 3 years. 

Miller is another story. It was a good move to bring him in and he is a good player but he may be gone in a few years. Had we kept the pick and every other traded pick this exemplifies the need to build from the draft so you core reach their prime together. 

The nucks need not be trading picks at this juncture. They are not yet on the verge of  being the 2011 powerhouse, not even close. Once they get closer is when these moves should occur.

Yeah. I think your right. This team is definitely not on the verge of being the 2011 powerhouse team. Which is concerning because Bo’s in his prime, and we are nowhere near a contending team. Love me some Horvat, and I think he’s going to be a Canuck for a long time. 

Picks are probably the one asset that management has to make the team better without subtracting good, productive roster players (or too much of them). I can see JT Miller traded at some point in the future as well. Can’t really see the guy as a life-time Canuck like I do with Petey, Hughes, Horvat, etc. But if Miller is being traded, I can see us getting a first round pick for him. 

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I think your right. This team is definitely not on the verge of being the 2011 powerhouse team. Which is concerning because Bo’s in his prime, and we are nowhere near a contending team. Love me some Horvat, and I think he’s going to be a Canuck for a long time. 

Picks are probably the one asset that management has to make the team better without subtracting good, productive roster players (or too much of them). I can see JT Miller traded at some point in the future as well. Can’t really see the guy as a life-time Canuck like I do with Petey, Hughes, Horvat, etc. But if Miller is being traded, I can see us getting a first round pick for him. 

Not sure why it's concerning?  Bo's a great player for us but it's not like he will just drop off with his play once he gets to be 28-29 years old.  

Agreed on Miller...  love the guy at times, but sometimes he seems like a detriment to the team with his constant outbursts.  I'm willing to chalk it up to a tough season.  We constantly forget that lockdown was even tougher/more strict on the hockey players that had to spend all day alone in their hotel rooms when they were on the road. 

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I agree with most of this, but poor team isn't really the reason for his underwhelming numbers. It's a double edge sword, because it also allowed him to get the ice time and opportunity he did. For starters, VHL is a pretty darn good league. It's in the same ballpark as DEL and Slovakia Extraliga. And most of the time when young centers turn pro in that good a league, they start them on the wing, but Lada threw Svechkov right to the wolves and relied on him to be a responsible 200 foot center. His MHL, U17s, 5NU17s and U18s show what he can do in his own age group. Nothing mind-blowing, but near the top scorers of every tournament.

Yup. I actually have him ranked 7th on my last list. So much to love about the player. Not the most high-end puck skills, but literally everything else is top notch. Exceptional shot, great compete, some of the best 200 foot IQ in the draft, and he's also underrated as a playmaker. He can make plays down low, and is remarkably good as slowing things down and drawing in defenders to open passing lanes. But without the ability to beat guys one one one at higher levels, he'll never be a driving force offensively. Best comparison I could think of is Logan Couture (who went 9th overall in 2007), and like Couture, Svechkov is clutch - at U17s he scored the opening goal of the gold medal game and added two assists; at 5NU17s, he scored and then set up Russia's first two goals in the clinching game. And he didn't have any points in the gold medal game at U18s, but I thought it was maybe the best game I've seen him play.

Considering the lack of forwards that actually project to be a C at the top of the draft and with you even having him at 7.

what I’m reading is he could go higher than we have been thinking for the past couple months.

i like this! A team could be very high on him then

also let’s list true C in draft who do we have:

1. Beniers

2. McTavish

3. Svechkov

4. Lucius

5. Raty

Only one missing here I think is Eklund. Because of his skating I’m pretty sure he will be a C but some people have shared doubts on this what do you think?

High ranked C who seem to be projecting as wingers:

1. Johnson 

2. Sillinger 

but Johnson is suppose to be the highest skilled (puck skills) player in draft and Sillinger has maybe the best and heaviest shot in draft with nhl bloodlines.

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Should be able to get a 1st & 2nd for him in my opinion.

When do you trade him as he doesn't become an UFA after the 23 season, the 22 draft is very strong and the 23 draft has 2 generational talents?