The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby’s new mask

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 12/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, kilgore said:

As an artist myself, I think its overblown.  Understanding art history is rife with appropriation.  That is how art works in a lot of ways. You build off of what others have done before you. And make it your own.

and if enough critics shout you down on the appropriation, should that not be enough? The fans that don't care, i get it, its a mask, who cares. THe fans who were offended by the fake west coast traditional art, i get those peopel too. WHo i don't get are the ones who seem quite militant against the folks who didn't think the mask was appropriate. 

What is your horse in this race? Nevermind, I think we can see through to the core of the situation.

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

and if enough critics shout you down on the appropriation, should that not be enough? The fans that don't care, i get it, its a mask, who cares. THe fans who were offended by the fake west coast traditional art, i get those peopel too. WHo i don't get are the ones who seem quite militant against the folks who didn't think the mask was appropriate. 

What is your horse in this race? Nevermind, I think we can see through to the core of the situation.

Those who are militant can see the hypocrisy and what the future looks like if people want to travel down that road. And guess what? It's gonna be more divisive, racist, hypocritical and will lead to more tension. 

If we start segregating everybody based on who has been oppressed more, it doesn't advance society, it regresses it. The whole point of eliminating racism is so we don't have to see it everywhere, but by constantly dividing people based on what they look like, it'll only end up with more racism.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

I know you didn't mean to come off sounding like a racist, but your sentence structure and the topic at hand makes you sound totally like a racist. 

Coming from the guy who has Transformers for his image, which is culturally appropriated from the Japanese. Grossssssssss

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2021 at 8:01 AM, Primal Optimist said:

I was speaking strictly from an artists point of view. Art is many times appropriated from older art movements. Sometimes to expand on those old wise ways, pay tribute, or to criticize. Depending.  Just to give a bit of defence to the Swedish artist. In that he was not meaning to simply copy it,  he would probably say he was more inspired by it. That is how an artist mind works.  Picasso rose to greater prominence in Europe from his work during his "African period" in which he painted his versions of African sculptures he was "inspired" by.  It was not done to try and copy or reproduce their art.

But we live in a different age. And I understand and honour and agree with the First Nations people who object.  Because it isn't about the art, colours, or style, or image even. Its recognizing that there is a spiritual connection that first nations have with the natural world, and the animals in it. It is an ingrained part of their culture. So when an artist, half ways around the world, interjects himself between that spirit world and the surviving first nation communities that still honour that relationship, it is regarded by them as insulting and cheap.  And personally, I think it also drains it of any spiritual power, ju ju, or good luck, or whatever you want to insert there, done by a foreign non-aboriginal artist.  Not based on anything I can prove, but I think a mask like that made by a local first nations artist hands imbues it with more power.  Even if its just subconscious. 

Edited by kilgore
  • Thanks 1

If the post that was removed had simply said: 

Generally when all the racists are passed on, generally speaking we will be a much better society. 

it would have been fine.  But when you add describing words it's not.  That's the very foundation of racism...to stereotype.

• Upvote 1