The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

14 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Canada acting to slowly????????

They shut down the boarder iirc around 1500 cases but since 1000 cases started warning people.  This is out of over 35 million people. A decent amount of whom were abroad. Sometimes this board expectations for politicians is crazy. 

Some people are just glass half empty and pessimistic. 

I for one couldn't be more proud to be Canadian. Our government has taken all proper measures and we are flattening our curve. 

This is the world's greatest nation. I've never been more proud to call myself a Canadian. 

Thank you Trudeau and all your staff for taking care of Canadians during this. 

I've never voted liberals and will likely always vote green... But dammit Justin Trudeau, you are the best leader of any developed nation on this planet. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, apollo said:

I for one couldn't be more proud to be Canadian. Our government has taken all proper measures and we are flattening our curve. 

This is the world's greatest nation. I've never been more proud to call myself a Canadian. 

I've never voted liberals and will likely always vote green... But dammit Justin Trudeau, you are the best leader of any developed nation on this planet. 

Well I don't think JT is the best in the world but I love Canada. So happy my dad immigranted here and I'm living on the west coast. 

We are doing good just gotta take it day by day. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

Just now, apollo said:

And some people just want to criticize their elected leaders....

....especially if they voted for someone other than those leaders....

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Don’t forget to give credit to the various premiers of the provinces like Doug Ford.  THIS is how we get things done (well eventually heh), no matter what the political stripe (left/right), you see the levels of government working more or less in unison.  Compare that to South of the border.  Could we be better?  Of course, but I’m generally satisfied on how things are being handled.

Yup well said. 

Obviously it's easy to look now and say "z0mg we should have gone on lock down 1 week earlier!! Panic!!" 

But sadly there's no crystal balls and at the end of the day things are being handled pretty well. Certainly better than our neighbour's in USA 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this is one of those areas where we need to learn and put the authority and resources in place at our airports for sure. TBH I don't think the people at VYR had the training or resources to do much more, which is a major gap. 

Prevention planning is about #135 on the budget items for most organizations, clearly that needs to change. 

Agreed. If there isn’t a big change in the way we do things going forward, not only at airports, in business establishments as well, 

then we are headed down the slippery slope. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Agreed. If there isn’t a big change in the way we do things going forward, not only at airports, in business establishments as well, 

then we are headed down the slippery slope. 

Time, resources and patience will be important after this goes away. So many illnesses in the world and every year there are brand new ones. Extremely hard to find reliable intelligent system that is manageable and doesn't anger the passagers who been flying 12hours already if not a whole day.  Unrealistic to do a 10min test for 200 people on a plane imo. Something will have to give after this. New economic measures will be established to protect our economy and new regulations for a lot of things I reckon. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

And some people just want to criticize their elected leaders....

....especially if they voted for someone other than those leaders....

Doesnt matter who you voted for the same accountability should be level for all parties.Its also the same for any political party going the other way.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm pro none of our parties these days but I don't know if any party would have acted different tbh.

This is one of those things where we will never know. It's situations like these that show whether someone's a leader or not really. However, the fact that the other parties are not getting in the way though shows perhaps they would likely be similar in such a situation, but there also is a difference between leading and following.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

almost everything any authority ended up doing

could have been done better

i think we can all accept that as reasonably accurate

not sure why at this time the focus is on minor or lesser errors/mistakes

these are evident

feels a bit like nitpicking

or a method for people simply to express their personal unhappiness

unless there have been bigger mistakes made before

that are hampering the current situation

let's deal with these mistakes once we are past the current crisis

i think jimmy has already posted this earlier

i think this is wise

if we can do better in the future by learning from this crisis, great

the current effort and energy needs to be on what we are doing now

and how we can best move forward

not sure why there is not equal or more posting about the good things that have been done locally

there is a lot of support of the clapping response directed to doctors/nurses/etc nightly

less positive commentary towards the key decision makers (those tend to be targets for negative stuff)

the trends look reasonably positive here

so far so good

things could still take a downward turn

but more likely they will not

let's try to stay postiive

and stay safe

social distance and hand wash, disinfect surfaces

get out and enjoy the sun (responsibiy)

The trends seem positive. The elephant in the room for some of us is the lack of testing. We don’t truly know how many positive cases there are until everyone is tested.

I hope that your faith in the key decision makers is well justified and we will know this for sure a the next few weeks. 

My experience is that last week I had flu-like symptoms and was sent home from work. My employees won’t go to work unless I stay away. In the interest of everyone’s safety I’m still here; even though these symptoms have passed. 

It would be great if I could be tested, but I understand that tests are in short supply. I don’t fall into the category of those who would be tested, so I’m here at home wondering when or if I can go back to work anytime soon.

At home we are divided into three isolated groups. My wife was quarantined first, followed by me several days later. My teenage kids are ok, so they have most of the house, including easy access to the liquor cabinet:shock:

I know, first world problems ;)

In a nutshell, the lac of testing does contribute to uncertainty and anxiety.

I’m enjoying the positivity of your posts  and the give and take on this board. Good luck to everyone here. Everybody’s got an interesting story to tell. We need someone who’s creative to come up with a rallying cry similar to

GCC:gocan:

1 hour ago, apollo said:

I see what you're saying but i disagree... people shouldn't have a right to criticize in this situation. 

This is the time for Canadians to unite. Not nitpick and whine about which party you prefer. 

I'm not a liberal. I've never voted liberals, but I'm not blind. I can see the news around the globe and its pretty clear that Canada has responded incredibly well. I'll tip my hat to Trudeau and the Liberals here. 

Not to mention our incredible front line Healthcare workers and other essential workers in our grocery stores, etc. 

This is truly the greatest place on earth and if we all support our government during this time, we'll come out stronger than ever. 

Look at USA before you ever want to complain about anything that has ever happened in Canada. 

Focus on kindness and love and follow our govs instructions. This will be over and Canada will flourish. 

This is probably your best post I’ve ever read. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

I see what you're saying but i disagree... people shouldn't have a right to criticize in this situation. 

This is the time for Canadians to unite. Not nitpick and whine about which party you prefer. 

I'm not a liberal. I've never voted liberals, but I'm not blind. I can see the news around the globe and its pretty clear that Canada has responded incredibly well. I'll tip my hat to Trudeau and the Liberals here. 

Not to mention our incredible front line Healthcare workers and other essential workers in our grocery stores, etc. 

This is truly the greatest place on earth and if we all support our government during this time, we'll come out stronger than ever. 

Look at USA before you ever want to complain about anything that has ever happened in Canada. 

Focus on kindness and love and follow our govs instructions. This will be over and Canada will flourish. 

You disagree with what? That some people just want to criticize?

I said nothing about whether people should have the right to criticize, or are doing so with cause...

20 minutes ago, Violator said:

Doesnt matter who you voted for the same accountability should be level for all parties.Its also the same for any political party going the other way.

I agree...which is why I said earlier that I believe Andrew Scheer would be handling the situation much as JT is.

The fact that Rob Ford is probably doing the as good, if not better than any other leader in North America, outlines the fact that this is much bigger than partisanship. It's just too bad that certain people can't get past their dislike of elected officials and look at the situation with an unjaundiced eye....

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree...which is why I said earlier that I believe Andrew Scheer would be handling the situation much as JT is.

The fact that Rob Ford is probably doing the as good, if not better than any other leader in North America, outlines the fact that this is much bigger than partisanship. It's just too bad that certain people can't get past their dislike of elected officials and look at the situation with an unjaundiced eye....

You know, if Trump actually suddenly changed his tune and started doing a good job, I'd actually commend him for it....

Oh crap, I just woke up from a dream into reality.... I guess that's probably not happening....:(

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

Need doctors and Nurses?

How many foreign trained Doctors, nurses and other medical experts are stuck working as janitors and painters? Perhaps it is time to review Canadian Medical policy to see if the  unlicensed are only being held back by archaic policy rather than actual ability.

The fact that even now they're not letting immigrant doctors help out is really sad and baffling at best.