The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So NHL players will be exempt on air traffic? Alberta has double the Covid cases that BC has, why would they be looking to play there? Saskatchewan and Manitoba have under 600 cases combined. Makes sense to play games there. 

Alberta has done exponentially more testing though, and has a smaller percentage of serious cases. Plus, the vast majority of the cases are in the Calgary area.

Edmonton as a city has a remarkably low number of cases, especially given the testing numbers. That combined with having one of the best rinks in the league... If they’re going to do it anywhere, it makes the most sense.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6855634/coronavirus-covid-19-alberta-economy-relaunch-edmonton-calgary/

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Alberta has done exponentially more testing though, and has a smaller percentage of serious cases. Plus, the vast majority of the cases are in the Calgary area.

Edmonton as a city has a remarkably low number of cases, especially given the testing numbers. That combined with having one of the best rinks in the league... If they’re going to do it anywhere, it makes the most sense.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6855634/coronavirus-covid-19-alberta-economy-relaunch-edmonton-calgary/

So how is a game played with restrictions on gatherings over 50 people?  There's 42 just with players alone

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think that a big part of the problem is that people have this "perfect candidate" in mind, whenever it comes time to vote. The reality is, that one man or woman who's platform and beliefs exactly mirror your own, doesn't exist. Sometimes you just have to take the BPA.

It should have been obvious to American voters that Trump was woefully unqualified to be POTUS, but in what I can only describe as a moment of madness, they decided that lacking qualification was a reason to vote for him. IMHO, that has continually blown up in their faces over the past 3 and a half years....

A big part of the issue with Trump isn't even his lack of qualification and experience. It's his refusal to admit that he lacks those qualities. If he'd truly surrounded himself with "the best people" as he promised, America (and the world) would be in a better place. Unfortunately, in his blinding ignorance, he believes that he knows better than any expert and instead of "the best people", has installed people loyal to him personally.

I've said this before: To any rational thinker who wants to see someone in the White House who truly has their interests at heart rather than his own, it shouldn't matter who the democrats nominated. Biden, Sanders, Warren Buttigieg, Yang, even Bloomberg......any of them is a vast improvement over Donald Trump and the whole "Why should I vote? Everyone sucks!" routine is just lazy and uninformed and is exactly the kind of attitude that stuck the world with Trump and his cadre of crooks in the first place.

In a working system everyone gets together to vote that idiot out, which is a sad state of affairs in itself. The small percentage of people who voted in such dire circumstances should just go to show further how flawed the system is. People such as myself have simply tuned it out. I can't be bothered to participate in such a charade simply to line someone else's pockets. Yes Trump is a supreme idiot but all American politics are nearly as bad. They are all corrupt, just not complete morons like Trump.

Unfortunately in reality it is near impossible to vote someone in that has anyone's interests at heart except their own. The only politician I ever saw that from was Obama.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

So how is a game played with restrictions on gatherings over 50 people?  There's 42 just with players alone

The players coaches ect would need to all be quarantined together, an NHL village. Edmonton would be a good choice since there is hotels attached to the arena. 

15 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

You can complain all you want, as I said I could give two $&!#s about your complaining.

As far as people that vote don’t matter, that’s very asinine statement.

Those that voted for Trump sure do matter, because he won, it’s very simple concept.

Point taken. Your original statement was worded very well. I still don't see why your vote matters after the fact, do you get a feather in your cap, a seat in the house, a direct link to the President, or anything besides a self-pat on the back that Clinton voters don't, if you voted Trump?

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

In a working system everyone gets together to vote that idiot out, which is a sad state of affairs in itself. The small percentage of people who voted in such dire circumstances should just go to show further how flawed the system is. People such as myself have simply tuned it out. I can't be bothered to participate in such a charade simply to line someone else's pockets. Yes Trump is a supreme idiot but all American politics are nearly as bad. They are all corrupt, just not complete morons like Trump.

Unfortunately in reality it is near impossible to vote someone in that has anyone's interests at heart except their own. The only politician I ever saw that from was Obama.

I completely disagree.

Trump is worse by several degrees of magnitude. As I said earlier, this whole "They're all the same" shtick is a lazy, uninformed cop out.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Point taken. Your original statement was worded very well. I still don't see why your vote matters after the fact, do you get a feather in your cap, a seat in the house, a direct link to the President, or anything besides a self-pat on the back that Clinton voters don't, if you voted Trump?

If I had the direct link to him, I would tell him to stop acting like such colossal piece of $&!#.

Also I would be so embarrassed if I voted for him, I would go bobbing for turds in a public bathroom.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

The players coaches ect would need to all be quarantined together, an NHL village. Edmonton would be a good choice since there is hotels attached to the arena. 

The size restrictions are still there, regardless of quarantine are they not?

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see anyway that schools are re-opening for this school year.

That would be the best case scenario but I agree that the chances are slim for that happening.  Special needs though might be a good possibility

Just now, coho8888 said:

That would be the best case scenario but I agree that the chances are slim for that happening.  Special needs though might be a good possibility

What would be the best case scenario?  Re-opening schools in some way?  I see it as a worst case scenario and a sure fire way to ignite this thing into a wildfire

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

People have to realize that the vast majority of politicians are in it for their own benefit #1. If they can help someone else in the process so be it. That was demonstrated to me very clearly when we had a Reform nomination in our riding after our previous campaign clearly showed we would win the next election. A real grassroots effort that had a riding association of very informed people. The candidates who came out for the nomination included a ex-MLA who thought he could smooth talk himself into the nomination. Sleezy. It didn't work. 

The anti Trumpers don't seem to want to recognize that Trump was appealing to Americans hurt by their inability to meet their financial needs just like Sanders. People will judge him and either re-elect or defeat him. Pretty straight forward.    

1 minute ago, stawns said:

What would be the best case scenario?  Re-opening schools in some way?  I see it as a worst case scenario and a sure fire way to ignite this thing into a wildfire

best as in we have controlled the virus to the point where we can find a way to open schools maybe partially.  But I don't want the schools to open either.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

best as in we have controlled the virus to the point where we can find a way to open schools maybe partially.  But I don't want the schools to open either.

I don't see anyway that's possible, any kind of school opening is going to lead to outbreaks.  Schools are a breeding ground for virus and kids will take that home to their families.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Do people even think their conspiracy theories through?  Covering up your own statistics is one thing, but to send out propaganda to hurt other economies?  If China was caught doing that, say goodbye to all their trade deals, that would backfire so bad it wouldn't even be funny.

Seems to me China and Russia would be encouraging the opposite.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they are trying to encourage Trump supporters to head out and gather publicly.  This will hurt the country far more in the long run than practicing safe public health policies.  

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm guessing you've heard the word on the street is May 15th.  I'm not sure about older students, but for the younger grades, classes will be split in two and students will attend on alternate days.