The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I want to nail down his ideas behind this.  It's all over the map (apparently, so was my mumbo jumbo post that I've edited - note to self, don't post before coffee).

Good luck. In the countless number of pages and requests from others for @samurai to offer their (his or hers?) point(s) in a clear and concise sentence or two, or even a paragraph, not a single time has it happened. Not once. Instead a video gets dumped from some obscure "professional" outlier without any explanation on what Samurai agrees or disagrees with. It's a mixture of middle ground and contrarian fallacies. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, High and Inside said:

So everything I hear out of the USA is that they’ve discovered some big treatment or that they think they got the vaccine the world wants. I don’t believe any of it. It’s such a corrupt country. Businessmen that own shares in these pharmaceutical companies promote it and then don’t give a when everybody sees it doesn’t work and they’ve piled there cash up already. Fauci Says they will have a vaccine by January but I doubt that too. To this day we don’t fully understand how this disease attacks our body and they are touting the cure. Hmm. They want to rush vaccine testing and risk things and have a bigger disaster then we already got. I wouldn’t be surprised if we never get a vaccine or it’s at least 2 years away. Creating vaccines take time and 12-18 months would be incredible considering we’ve never found a vaccine for a coronavirus. We may just have to beat this thing head on. Social distancing and quarantine won’t work in the long haul as already the re opening trend is in full force as we keep bleeding cash and people get bored. Our best hope is that a higher percentage of people has the antibodies to this disease and the mortality rate isn’t as bad as originally feared so we build herd immunity against this horrible disease. 

The vaccine is a pipe dream. From the interviews I've seen and the articles I've read, we're still a long way from that.

However, a drug called Remdesivir has shown that it might be an effective treatment. Anthony Fauci has spoken positively about it and Trump (AFAIK) hasn't mentioned it at all, which makes it even more promising:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6890985/coronavirus-remdesivir-treatment/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The vaccine is a pipe dream. From the interviews I've seen and the articles I've read, we're still a long way from that.

However, a drug called Remdesivir has shown that it might be an effective treatment. Anthony Fauci has spoken positively about it and Trump (AFAIK) hasn't mentioned it at all, which makes it even more promising:

Trump talked about it weeks ago when he was talking about the malaria drug. The SK, French, Japanese and Aussies have been using the 2 in combination with some success. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

Trump talked about it weeks ago when he was talking about the malaria drug. The SK, French, Japanese and Aussies have been using the 2 in combination with some success. 

Must have missed that. I figured he was just too scared to bring up another drug, after getting so badly spanked on Hydroxychloroquine...

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I would definitely agree with you. We’ve known about coronaviruses for a long time now and we’ve never come up with anything yet in terms of a vaccine. With the massive scope of covid 19 I can understand why countries and there scientists want to be optimistic and tout they have something promising in their research labs. I just don’t see it happening any time soon. Also I’m reading all kinds of reports of vaccines getting expedited through the system. If they rush something out I won’t be standing in line to get it.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Remdesivir. Another drug in short supply so hopefully it has some potential. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

I would definitely agree with you. We’ve known about coronaviruses for a long time now and we’ve never come up with anything yet in terms of a vaccine. With the massive scope of covid 19 I can understand why countries and there scientists want to be optimistic and tout they have something promising in their research labs. I just don’t see it happening any time soon. Also I’m reading all kinds of reports of vaccines getting expedited through the system. If they rush something out I won’t be standing in line to get it.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Remdesivir. Another drug in short supply so hopefully it has some potential. 

I think what people need to keep in mind is that none of the drugs being touted are any kind of "cure" or preventative. They're treatments for lessening the duration and/or severity of the infection.

Remdesivir, in particular has been shown to speed recovery, but it in no way lowers the infection rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think what people need to keep in mind is that none of the drugs being touted are any kind of "cure" or preventative. They're treatments for lessening the duration and/or severity of the infection.

Remdesivir, in particular has been shown to speed recovery, but it in no way lowers the infection rate.

If it all it does is speed up recovery time that at the very least will lesson the burden on hospitals.

I think a greater hope springs from the fact that they've found something that has a positive outcome, figure out exactly why this leads to 31% quicker recovery time and maybe that will lead to even better outcomes as they tweak things.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If it all it does is speed up recovery time that at the very least will lesson the burden on hospitals.

I think a greater hope springs from the fact that they've found something that has a positive outcome, figure out exactly why this leads to 31% quicker recovery time and maybe that will lead to even better outcomes as they tweak things.

Agreed.

This is what we’re really fighting right now. Keeping lots of capacity in our hospitals so they don’t get overrun.

Any tool to help fight that is a definite positive.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Good luck. In the countless number of pages and requests from others for @samurai to offer their (his or hers?) point(s) in a clear and concise sentence or two, or even a paragraph, not a single time has it happened. Not once. Instead a video gets dumped from some obscure "professional" outlier without any explanation on what Samurai agrees or disagrees with. It's a mixture of middle ground and contrarian fallacies. 

Where does he find those clowns ... err jokers. Clowns are on the left. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2