The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Bryan Adams hasn't written a decent song in at least 20 years... if ever. People shouldn't be surprised that he also has difficulty communicating on Twitter. His tweet was poorly worded but if you look at his tweet history it is quite clear he was reacting to the mistreatment of animals and not to a particular race. 

Fits You Good was the only one I ever liked.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Fits You Good was the only one I ever liked.

All I remember is being in like grade 4 and learning that Bryan Adams sued the CDN government (or something like that) because 'Summer of '69' was not considered a "Canadian Song" and thus wouldn't regularly be played on the radio because it didn't fit Canadian content laws. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

And here is a great new article by Rolling Stone on the same topic with a detailed timeline.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/covid-19-test-trump-admin-failed-disaster-995930/

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

She's doing the "attract more flies with honey than vinegar" through this.  And it's worked to some degree ... she'd rather not use an authoritarian stance from what I understand. 

But even IF they lived together, according to her, they were still supposed to "social distance in public".   Because we just don't know if we have this or not and being in close proximity in groups is how we gets outbreaks.  

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why would you need to social distance in public if you're all from the same household? It's pointless except for appearance sake.

• Cheers 3

Parks opened yesterday. Finally get to see my daughter play around other kids, for a change. So awesome! Great to see all these kids so happy after months of being locked up with their boring parents.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Transit police seek suspect who grabbed, kicked, punched woman following racist comments

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/transit-police-seek-suspect-who-grabbed-kicked-punched-woman-following-racist-comments/ar-BB13ZllK?li=ca')%26%24orderby%3d'displayPublishedDateTime'+desc&ocid=iehp

On April 15, a man boarded a bus at Main and East Hastings, followed a short time later by two Asian woman who wore protective masks.

Const. Mike Yake with the Transit Police said the man then directed his attention toward the two Asian woman and allegedly made a comment to the effect of, “Go back to your own country, that’s where it all began.”

“During this time, there was a woman who was sitting across from the man and she simply told the man to leave the two women alone,” said Yake.

The suspect then began arguing with and threatening the woman who intervened, before kicking her in the leg. When the woman stood up to defend herself, the suspect allegedly grabbed “a significant amount of hair” and ripped it from the woman’s scalp before punching her multiple times, wrestling her to the floor of the bus and pinning her down.

“Thankfully, she was able to fight back and get the suspect off her,” said Yake. “He ran out of the bus and was last seen in the area of Commercial Drive and East Hastings.”

The victim, who is not Asian, was bruised on her leg and suffered a scalp injury.

There's a picture of the perp.

To my Asian friends/people out there, be careful out there as the nut jobs are out in full force.

Kudos to the lady who sought to stop the bullying.  Sad that she was hurt in the process.

EDIT:  I notice that most of the verbal and physical attacks are against women and the elderly.  Bunch of cowards.  Try saying **** to an adult Asian male.  Preferably one that knows some martial arts (:))

There's video of this guy in the link. You never get a close enough view of what's written on his hat, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say it looks familiar....

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There's video of this guy in the link. You never get a close enough view of what's written on his hat, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say it looks familiar....

Anyone with information about the man is asked to contact the Transit Police tip line by phone at 604-516-7419 or by text to 87-77-77 and cite File No. 2020-7645.

...and among the negative stories surrounding this Pandemic, are stories of some pretty awesome people.....like this guy in Kansas:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/us/kansas-farmer-cuomo-honorary-degree-trnd/?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

When Gov. Andrew Cuomo held up a letter and N-95 mask sent to him by a retired Kansas farmer, he called it humanity at its best.

"If you could, would you please give this mask to a nurse or doctor in your state?" read the March letter from Dennis Ruhnke.
Now, Ruhnke has been given a bachelor's degree from his state.
"Dennis' kindness and lifelong career in agriculture make him more than qualified to receive a degree," Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly said in a Facebook post.
Kelly and Kansas State University President Richard Myers presented Ruhnke with the degree Tuesday during a ceremony.

More in the link, including Cuomo's Tweet....
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why would you need to social distance in public if you're all from the same household? It's pointless except for appearance sake.

Mostly because people get the message it's ok not to when they can't distinguish between groups.

Also...if someone in the bubble is asymptomatic and you're sitting on a blanket together in close proximity you risk sharing it more so than if you social distance.  

As of May 8:  The government’s new catchphrase is “few faces and big spaces.”

Heard they are starting to test dead bodies going back to November and possibly sooner if they find any covid related deaths.

Anyone else heard that? 

That would throw the Wuhan bat origin story out the window wouldn't it? or was that lady identified before that? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Bryan Adams hasn't written a decent song in at least 20 years... if ever. People shouldn't be surprised that he also has difficulty communicating on Twitter. His tweet was poorly worded but if you look at his tweet history it is quite clear he was reacting to the mistreatment of animals and not to a particular race. 

I just never like the guy or his songs, he just came off as quite a snob!

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I just never like the guy or his songs, he just came off as quite a snob!

The ego is pretty gigantic, but he comes by it honestly.

As a guy who's done the traveling musician thing, I can tell you that it's a trip. Imagine being 15 years old and being picked to replace Nick Gilder in Sweeney Todd. They were a pretty minor act, but they were recording artists nonetheless and Bryan Adams has literally been a "famous" musician since he was a teenager.

Some guys (like Steve Winwood) can handle it and others turn into conceited jerks, like Bryan Adams.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

My Brian Adams story.

Got to mix one of our bands ep's at his house in West Van. He owns the mixing console that was used for the Sex Pistols 'Never Mind The Bollocks'. It was retro fitted and updated. Apparently, when they did the upgrade work, they found all sorts of 'goodies' that had slipped between the faders. 

Never met Adam, just used his house. However, to this day I am quite chuffed that we got to mix on that board. 

• Cheers 4

16 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I find that, with all of this going on, when I reach for the Whisky bottle, instead of saying, "It must be five o'clock somewhere", I'm now saying, "It must be four o'clock somewhere"!!

I say...beer...so much more than a breakfast drink. And for scotch I say it is after 5:00 in Newfoundland. 

Edited by spur1
  • Like 1

Germany's daily coronavirus case count has nearly tripled - harsh lockdowns may be reintroduced

Tue 12 May 2020 21:50:52 GMT

It's getting ugly again.

In brief:
  • Germany reported 933 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday
  • That is just about 3 times as many as the day before (admittedly coming off a weekend the numbers can be skewed)
  • rising figure comes 6 days after the country reopened shops, some schools
  • Germany's "R" rate has  climbed above 1 for the past 3 days (see below for what R is)
Authorities are considering reintroducing lockdown measures
  • Trigger for this is if there are more than 50 cases per 100,000 people
Watch this not just in German, but other countries. Yesterday I posted on a rise in cases in South Korea:

---
R rate of 1 means that on average an infected person infects one other
Above 1 means that the outbreak is worsening

South Korea has seen at least 100 new cases linked to night clubs after easing restrictions.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2