The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

For those banging the gongs of REOPEN, there is this.  One night of clubbing.  Hundreds infected and possibly many more of the 11000 who also may have been exposed.  The difference between us and them, they have thorough contact tracing and testing.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ep44dp/over-100-coronavirus-cases-in-south-korea-have-now-been-linked-to-one-guys-night-out-clubbing?utm_source=reddit.com

Over 100 Coronavirus Cases in South Korea Have Now Been Linked to One Guy’s Night Out Clubbing

Now authorities are frantically trying to track down 11,000 people who might have been exposed, and prevent a second wave of infections.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, gurn said:

The discussion became silly when you started twisting other people's words; something you used to be better than.

But everyone gets a bit strange, at times during this pandemic.

Considering it started with a joke gif.

They found six new cases in Wuhan so they’re planning to test eleven million people over the next ten days. Neither number is a typo.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN22N24F?__twitter_impression=true

Oof. And just hours after Trump bragged they’re at ~9 million total.

The greatest President in US History!  

So here's the same shot of Kits beach, same time, 3 different ways. My point with this isn't to suggest people should totally relax, its that social media likes to drive us to be mad at other people when we need to stay calm and rational. When you look at the real story here its a good one, most people are doing the right things. 

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This discussion is silly but I feel there are some making it such more than others.

The last line is probably the best one you've posted in relation to this.  Upon your return, please answer as to why you're changing people's words and using your own?  

Purposely
Replaced

Start there.  

Then move to:

We're trying to save lives.  Safety and security will get us there.

It's ok to have different opinions.  It's not ok to work them in with manipulation and game playing...especially in a time where people ARE having to do things they've never done before.  Like me...haven't seen my son or daughter in law in over two months.  Don't undermine that with your silliness.  Life IS distorted right now and if you want to ignore that don't try to convince others of why it's ok.  

A worldwide pandemic that's still in the "figuring out" stages and is killing people deserves for us to do things a little differently until is it more understood.  And contained.  But you go ask McDonalds when you can get back in.  That's way more important and not distorted at all.

wow you are reading a lot into my posts

manipulation?

seriously?

i give up

take care deb

i don't need this sort of nonsense

8 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

wow you are reading a lot into my posts

manipulation?

seriously?

i give up

take care deb

i don't need this sort of nonsense

I read your posts:

Replaced ("disinfected")

Purposely (?)

Those words were used as our words.  Please explain because none of us need this nonsense.  Don't skirt around it...point blank...why are you overdramatizing our posts then accusing us of being dramatic in all of this.  Don't do that.

Please present YOUR opinion without twisting ours.  Seems you're reading a lot into posts so focus on you.

• Upvote 2

Interesting article on Bryan Adams latest rant. Is it racist ?  Cuts like a knife... 

Bryan Adams Promotes False Coronavirus Myths In Bizarre Rant On Instagram And Twitter

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/bryan-adams-promotes-false-coronavirus-myths-in-bizarre-rant-on-instagram-and-twitter/ar-BB13WUaZ?ocid=msedgntp

A prominent Chinese-Canadian activist says she is shocked, disappointed and angry about an Instagram post from Canadian singer Bryan Adams' official account that she and others say is racist. 

Amy Go, president of the Chinese Canadian National Council for Social Justice called the post racist and believes it could stoke hatred of Chinese-Canadians.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Interesting article on Bryan Adams latest rant. Is it racist ?  Cuts like a knife... 

Bryan Adams Promotes False Coronavirus Myths In Bizarre Rant On Instagram And Twitter

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/bryan-adams-promotes-false-coronavirus-myths-in-bizarre-rant-on-instagram-and-twitter/ar-BB13WUaZ?ocid=msedgntp

A prominent Chinese-Canadian activist says she is shocked, disappointed and angry about an Instagram post from Canadian singer Bryan Adams' official account that she and others say is racist. 

Amy Go, president of the Chinese Canadian National Council for Social Justice called the post racist and believes it could stoke hatred of Chinese-Canadians.

Hide contents

Summer of 69 had a lot different tune than the summer of 2020. Understood that people are upset about the wet markets but don’t hold a whole race to it. I’m upset they reopened as well but not blaming all Chinese for it. Bryan is better than this. Oh well I guess he could always go back to being a dishwasher at the tomahawk.:emot-parrot:

Pfft... Fraud ?  Who cares... the CRA doesn't apparently.  It's just tax dollars being handed out like candy no big deal. 

Hopefully this article is being exaggerated... 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/do-not-impose-a-stop-pay-federal-workers-ordered-to-ignore-cheating-in-cerb-and-ei-claims/ar-BB13WtaI?ocid=msedgntp 

The memo was distributed in late April on the ESDC/SC IntraWeb.

“Effective immediately, while processing a claim, if an agent uncovers information that suggests potential abuse of the EI system by a client, an employer or a third party, they do not impose a stop pay and do not refer the file to integrity unless it is considered an urgent investigation,” the note says.

“This is a result of the integrity service branch suspending all non-critical investigations. In addition to suspension of Claimant Information Sessions (CIS), in-person interviews and on-site visits, they have suspended all Integrity Operations activities for compliance and enforcement of the EI program.”

The memo does outline exceptions, “urgent” matters that should be referred for investigation: applications on behalf of dead people, “dormant” social insurance numbers — those that were never used until the benefit claim was processed — and false records of employment.

But the source said even evidence of fraudulent employment records is being overlooked and CERB or EI paid out regardless.

The person, who is not authorized to talk about such internal matters and asked not to be identified, said the evidence of abuse includes numerous instances where applicants claimed suspiciously to have made $5,000 in the last month of 2019 – the minimum to be eligible for CERB.

International students whose visas allow them to work only 20 hours a week during classes are claiming to have put more hours in order to meet the criteria.

And applicants across Canada are applying for CERB or EI while at the same time being paid by employers under the table, said the source.

The person said they doubted the 200,000 red-flagged cases will ever be investigated, as each one would take days, an enormous drain on resources. It’s more likely fraudulent claims will simply be written off, the source said. Hossack did not confirm or deny the 200,000 figure in her statement.

The CBC quoted a Canada Revenue Agency employee as saying abuse is common, citing an elderly woman and her two disabled children who all applied for CERB, though none was eligible.

Even inmates at a prison in Trois-Rivières, Que. have received CERB cheques, according to a Radio-Canada .

27 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Reveal hidden contents

He deleted tweet and Instagram post.

Adams posted an apology Tuesday "to any and all that took offence to'' his post. "No excuse, I just wanted to have a rant about the horrible animal cruelty in these wet-markets being the possible source of the virus, and promote veganism. I have love for all people and my thoughts are with everyone dealing with this pandemic around the world," he wrote.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

He deleted tweet and Instagram post.

Adams posted an apology Tuesday "to any and all that took offence to'' his post. "No excuse, I just wanted to have a rant about the horrible animal cruelty in these wet-markets being the possible source of the virus, and promote veganism. I have love for all people and my thoughts are with everyone dealing with this pandemic around the world," he wrote.

Straight from the heart... 

The instagram post is still up as far as I can see

I don't think the "rant" was that offensive to begin with anyway. Just another example of social media shaming celebs into apologizing.

34 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Hide contents

I dont see how it is racist, he clearly just hates wet markets and the fact people are still eating bats even though they are high risk to carry viruses. 

I personally believe 100% it came from the lab in Wuhan due to lack of satefy precautions. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Straight from the heart... 

The instagram post is still up as far as I can see

I don't think the "rant" was that offensive to begin with anyway. Just another example of social media shaming celebs into apologizing.

It wasn't a racist post (my opinion).  At most, his hatred was targeting the wet markets.  But I can see how the anger and words can be manipulated (to the simple minded folks).  Plus an opportunity to promote veganism.

:unsure:

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont see how it is racist, he clearly just hates wet markets and the fact people are still eating bats even though they are high risk to carry viruses. 

I personally believe 100% it came from the lab in Wuhan due to lack of satefy precautions. 

Wrong lab...came from US. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I heard that rumor as well. 

The Chinese state media would never let that get out if it was true.  Easier to deflect to "wet market" as the cause than own up that their lab was the source.  Reports say that the virus is not man-made.  However, if they were doing research on it and a vial breaks...oops!!!