The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Wonder if we'll ever find out.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/26/covid-virus-likely-laboratory-leak-us-energy-department

Covid-19 likely emerged from laboratory leak, US energy department says

Updated finding a departure from previous studies on how the virus emerged and comes with ‘low confidence’

The virus which drove the Covid-19 pandemic most likely emerged from a laboratory leak but not as part of a weapons program, according to an updated and classified 2021 US energy department study provided to the White House and senior American lawmakers, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

The department’s finding – a departure from previous studies on how the virus emerged – came in an update to a document from the office of National Intelligence director Avril Haines. It follows an FBI finding, issued with “moderate confidence”, that the virus spread after leaking out of a Chinese laboratory.

The conclusion from the energy department – which oversees a network of 17 US laboratories, including areas of advanced biology – is considered significant despite the fact that, as the report said, the agency made its updated judgment with “low confidence”.

Updated with low confidence. 

Listen, there is no doubt thar the lab was researching coronaviruses.   There is a published record of it.  The viruses and the methods they used in those studies would not produce the virus of this pandemic.   It would require changes.  Changes that would have to be documented. 

No lab makes significant changes to their research without some sort of record.  If this virus is the first one that resulted from said changes, with no notification to the agencies that funded said research, I've got a bridge to sell ya. 

No one has been able to provide any actual evidence to support this.  The circumstantial evidence doesn't really line up.  Give us the goods lab leakers.  Please.  Otherwise, lab leakers got nothing.

Claiming conspiracy just proves they've got nothing.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Updated with low confidence. 

Listen, there is no doubt thar the lab was researching coronaviruses.   There is a published record of it.  The viruses and the methods they used in those studies would not produce the virus of this pandemic.   It would require changes.  Changes that would have to be documented. 

No lab makes significant changes to their research without some sort of record.  If this virus is the first one that resulted from said changes, with no notification to the agencies that funded said research, I've got a bridge to sell ya. 

No one has been able to provide any actual evidence to support this.  The circumstantial evidence doesn't really line up.  Give us the goods lab leakers.  Please.  Otherwise, lab leakers got nothing.

Claiming conspiracy just proves they've got nothing.

Yes, the report from the Energy Department comes with low confidence.  But, before, they were undecided.    Also, as the article states, the FBI believes the virus was lab-made with medium confidence.

And speaking of low confidence, it appears that the US agencies who believe that the virus came from natural causes also classify their findings as low confidence.

Here's a link to a WSJ article that goes into it a bit more:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-origin-china-lab-leak-807b7b0a

Personally, I have no idea where the virus came from.  But it seems like it's still an open question.  At least as far as US intelligence agencies are concerned.

• Cheers 3

The death cult that is anti-vaxx has been emboldened to the point where legislation is being proposed with their fingerprints all over it.

https://www.milescitystar.com/news/montana/bill-banning-vaccinated-blood-donations-would-decimate-blood-supply-opponents-say/article_0513af82-b78c-11ed-b3f1-2f705c4b6833.html

Bill banning vaccinated blood donations would ‘decimate’ blood supply, opponents say

12 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The death cult that is anti-vaxx has been emboldened to the point where legislation is being proposed with their fingerprints all over it.

https://www.milescitystar.com/news/montana/bill-banning-vaccinated-blood-donations-would-decimate-blood-supply-opponents-say/article_0513af82-b78c-11ed-b3f1-2f705c4b6833.html

Bill banning vaccinated blood donations would ‘decimate’ blood supply, opponents say

What do you expect from a nation that's anti-science and and anti medicine? Take some dewormer you'll be just fine!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Most ignorant, selfish, and childish group of people ever are the antivaxxers. 

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2020 at 9:50 AM, HI5 said:

You share yours, I’ll share mine ^_^

Christopher Dunlop 

On 4/29/2020 at 7:15 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Oh yeah?

What is his name.

I don't believe it.  Source?

Edit: I confirmed with a local prison that (because of my job), although media says otherwise, they released no one due to covid. So releasing a murderer makes no sense. So no, it did not happen unless you provide proof imo.

This asshole just got arrested for a second murder now. Let out early during covid (both in Calgary, so rules in BC may have been different).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/deerfoot-calgary-judy-laura-1.6766379

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, HI5 said:

This asshole just got arrested for a second murder now. Let out early during covid (both in Calgary, so rules in BC may have been different).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/deerfoot-calgary-judy-laura-1.6766379

Sorry, where are you getting that he was let out early? :unsure: According to the article, he was sentenced to 6-1/2 years in 2015, which would mean his release date was in 2021 or 2022.

This is not to say that I think there is anything fair about the sentencing of this guy, but I don't see anything that suggests he was let out early, or that it had anything to do with Covid....

On 3/1/2023 at 10:57 AM, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Well...just like they were offered the choice whether to get vaccinated, they will also have the choice to

accept donated blood, or not.  All is fair in the free world.:gocan:

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

There's a good piece in The Conversation this morning.  My ability to copy/paste the article and retain the formatting is absolute ass, so I'll just provide the URL.

https://theconversation.com/ageism-and-the-pandemic-how-canada-continues-to-let-older-adults-suffer-and-die-from-covid-19-201630

The data and assertions they make are dated, but the principles they state remain sound.  People who can't be bothered to give a f**k (which includes those who are starting not to give a f**k by taking precautions such as masking in settings with large gatherings) are what's helping to continue to propagate this virus.  I'm somewhat guilty of it myself, as I've started to minimize masking in some settings, which does increase the risk of me catching it and spreading it asymptomatically (I will still isolate myself when I have symptoms).

Enough is enough.  If you want to wear a mask, then do it.   
This article stinks

55 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

This article stinks

Nope. If people are feeling sick they dhould stay home. If they must go out then wear a properly fitted quality mask. In hospitals, doctors’ offices and such everyone should be masked. No mask in those settings and no care. Stay the hell awsy! 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

This article stinks

Wow, what a carefully reasoned well thought out rebuttal. Yes, it sure is stinky of the author to point out so many facts that people like you choose to pretend are not true. Really, why should you care about other people getting sick and dying, right?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wow, what a carefully reasoned well thought out rebuttal. Yes, it sure is stinky of the author to point out so many facts that people like you choose to pretend are not true. Really, why should you care about other people getting sick and dying, right?

Please explain people like me….

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Nope. If people are feeling sick they dhould stay home. If they must go out then wear a properly fitted quality mask. In hospitals, doctors’ offices and such everyone should be masked. No mask in those settings and no care. Stay the hell awsy! 

You’ve got to be doing this on purpose at this point Alf. 
Each time you respond to one of my posts here, its is a rambling about something not even being discussed.  

• 2 weeks later...

B.C. lifts health-care mask rules as province emerges from pandemic | Vancouver Sun

B.C. lifts health-care mask rules as province emerges from pandemic, Dr. Bonnie Henry says

Henry says the lifting of mask requirements does not mean such restrictions won't return in the fall, as experts are still studying the seasonality of COVID.

B.C. health officials are ending mask mandates in health-care settings and proof of vaccination for visitors to care homes as the COVID-19 pandemic loses steam after three long, gruelling years.

There will be no restrictions on visitors to long-term care, assisted living or health-care facilities, effective immediately.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix announced the scaling back of restrictions in a joint statement Thursday, the same day weekly COVID numbers for B.C. are released.

Cases, hospitalizations and deaths linked to COVID-19 have been mostly stable in recent months, and the toll of other respiratory viruses such as flu and RSV is on the wane after a “challenging” fall and winter season that put a continued strain on B.C.’s health-care system and workers, said Henry.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has been a challenging time for everyone, and the people of British Columbia have shown incredible resilience and dedication in their efforts to combat the virus,” said the statement.

While most restrictions are lifted, Henry says health-care workers are still required to be fully vaccinated. And masks may be required in high-risk situations where a patient is vulnerable to infectious diseases.

She also said some of the restrictions ending this spring might be put back in place in the fall if there’s a rebound in COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations or deaths, noting experts are still studying the seasonality of the novel coronavirus.

“At this time, we have seen a decrease in all respiratory viruses, which allows us to move forward with confidence in removing some of the measures that were in place,” she said.

“It’s important to recognize that COVID-19 is still with us, and as such, we must remain vigilant and continue surveillance to monitor the situation.

In the weekly COVID data, another 21 deaths were registered in the week March 26 to April 1 among people who tested positive for the virus in the 30 days before they died; 282 people were in hospital on Thursday, with 21 of those in critical care.

The dashboard that has tracked COVID numbers in B.C. since the start of the pandemic will stop being updated in two weeks, and will go dark altogether in early May. Data on COVID and other viral infections will continue to be available at the B.C. Centre for Disease Control’s respiratory diseases site.

Vaccines and boosters still available

Starting this week, a spring booster vaccine will be available to those over 80 and the immune compromised.

A booster is not recommended for the general public, and no decision has been made on routine COVID-19 vaccinations in the province going forward, said Henry.

However, an initial vaccination series or a booster dose is still recommended for anyone not fully immunized or boosted against COVID-19.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

So, a booster shot is no longer recommended for the general public, yet we were told that we would need to take one every 6 months.  A booster shot loses all of its effectiveness after around 6 months.  So, in effect Dr. Henry is saying that we no longer need to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Bivalent COVID Boosters: Here's How Long Immunity Lasts (verywellhealth.com)

According to that study—which was published in the New England Journal of Medicine—the bivalent vaccine provided protection for at least a month. It also triggered a higher binding antibody response against other COVID variants, including alpha, beta, gamma, and delta.4

However, considering that study was only over a month, other experts believe that immunity from the updated shots will likely last much longer.

Previous data that included other bivalent COVID vaccines found they could provide immunity and protection for up to six months.

Is this a joke?  Whatever shots you got in 2021 and 2022 no longer matter.  They won't protect you any longer.  They wore off months and years ago.  And now we no longer need to take any more shots.  I find this incredible.  It feels like we were suckered into something...

Thank God I take my vitamin C and vitamin D daily.  That has helped me to be protected against COVID as well as many other illnesses IMO.  I have not even had a runny nose in over 3 years...

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, a booster shot is no longer recommended for the general public, yet we were told that we would need to take one every 6 months.  A booster shot loses all of its effectiveness after around 6 months.  So, in effect Dr. Henry is saying that we no longer need to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Bivalent COVID Boosters: Here's How Long Immunity Lasts (verywellhealth.com)

According to that study—which was published in the New England Journal of Medicine—the bivalent vaccine provided protection for at least a month. It also triggered a higher binding antibody response against other COVID variants, including alpha, beta, gamma, and delta.4

However, considering that study was only over a month, other experts believe that immunity from the updated shots will likely last much longer.

Previous data that included other bivalent COVID vaccines found they could provide immunity and protection for up to six months.

Is this a joke?  Whatever shots you got in 2021 and 2022 no longer matter.  They won't protect you any longer.  They wore off months and years ago.  And now we no longer need to take any more shots.  I find this incredible.  It feels like we were suckered into something...

Thank God I take my vitamin C and vitamin D daily.  That has helped me to be protected against COVID as well as many other illnesses IMO.  I have not even had a runny nose in over 3 years...

Suckered into what, exactly? What's the endgame for the government providing vaccination services at no cost to the public?

You should take @Boudrias advice.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Suckered into what, exactly? What's the endgame for the government providing vaccination services at no cost to the public?

You should take @Boudrias advice.

They told us that we need to take a booster every 6 months.  Now they are telling us that we don't need to do that anymore.  Why is it?  Can you explain it?  Boosters only last 6 months, so in effect if you stop taking the booster shots you won't be protected any longer.  Seems like they are just saying, hey don't worry about it anymore...

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Cool it. Your starting to sound like a trucker. 

Why don't you actually provide a response as to why the government is now telling us it's okay not to take any more booster shots instead of some dumb comment about me being the equivalent of some anti-vaxxer trucker...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1