The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Stawns I think you're forgetting that attempts are to best "manage" this, not fully eliminate it which would likely be impossible.

To make sure that spikes don't accelerate to the point of becoming unmanageable in the health care system.

We do have control over this...at least in relation to the spread of it.  And most here are doing a good job...it's groups who get reckless but it's quickly identified and contact tracing is so important in corralling it.

We've been fairly successful to date and that's attributed to the efforts by our healthcare team and population, not in spite of them.

Shutting everything down isn't feasible on a long term basis so the gradual introduction back to normal is being monitored and addressed on an ongoing basis.

"It's not normal" is right so expecting there to be a foolproof method to adapt to something that's not normal is unreasonable.  Over time, it's gauging where we're at and what we need to do in response to that.

I fully commend and trust our "leaders" in this ... both in health experts and Government.  They've done a pretty good job to date and our numbers have reflected that.  Not perfect...but I'm not sure you can be.  It's all about "balance".

• Cheers 1

Just now, skategal said:

I guess I do have faith in people, and I would say the vast majority of people are doing many things to follow CDC guidelines.  More people are wearing masks in public than ever before.  People are social distancing a lot more.  Fewer people are eating in restaurants, fewer people are going to pubs/nightclubs.  Fewer people are going to gyms.  Stores aren't as crowded and people try for the most part to follow directional signage.  

I think expecting 100% compliance is unrealistic.  

Come to the Kanagan, the complete opposite is happening here.  Everything is more packed than I've ever seen it and there is little to no social distancing at all.  Pubs are packed, nightclubs are packed, hotel parties, stores have completely abandoned their "limited number of customers" policy (not all).  In my opinion, we are in avery serious situation in the OKanagan.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, skategal said:

I guess I do have faith in people, and I would say the vast majority of people are doing many things to follow CDC guidelines.  More people are wearing masks in public than ever before.  People are social distancing a lot more.  Fewer people are eating in restaurants, fewer people are going to pubs/nightclubs.  Fewer people are going to gyms.  Stores aren't as crowded and people try for the most part to follow directional signage.  

I also think that people like to test it out...to see how far they can push the boundaries and it's clear that these spikes will remind them that it's "too far" in some cases.  That it isn't without risk.

People have short memories when the summer sun calls for us to drop our guard and let loose.  Those feeling a false sense of security now face the fact that...this thing's still very real and strikes fast and furious.  

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Stawns I think you're forgetting that attempts are to best "manage" this, not fully eliminate it which would likely be impossible.

To make sure that spikes don't accelerate to the point of becoming unmanageable in the health care system.

We do have control over this...at least in relation to the spread of it.  And most here are doing a good job...it's groups who get reckless but it's quickly identified and contact tracing is so important in corralling it.

We've been fairly successful to date and that's attributed to the efforts by our healthcare team and population, not in spite of them.

Shutting everything down isn't feasible on a long term basis so the gradual introduction back to normal is being monitored and addressed on an ongoing basis.

"It's not normal" is right so expecting there to be a foolproof method to adapt to something that's not normal is unreasonable.  Over time, it's gauging where we're at and what we need to do in response to that.

I fully commend and trust our "leaders" in this ... both in health experts and Government.  They've done a pretty good job to date and our numbers have reflected that.  Not perfect...but I'm not sure you can be.  It's all about "balance".

I agree comepletely and phase two was the balance.  What's happening in the Kanagan is the complete opposite of balance, sorry Deb.  It's very clear that giving people the freedom to be responsible in a pandemic does not work.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Come to the Kanagan, the complete opposite is happening here.  Everything is more packed than I've ever seen it and there is little to no social distancing at all.  Pubs are packed, nightclubs are packed, hotel parties, stores have completely abandoned their "limited number of customers" policy (not all).  In my opinion, we are in avery serious situation in the OKanagan.

That's so disheartening.  Maybe resort/vacation destinations need their own set of regional "rules" in order to protect locals/everyone?  

Here people are pretty good and seem to be doing what it takes but yeah, I guess you're right in that hotspots are a huge concern.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I also think that people like to test it out...to see how far they can push the boundaries and it's clear that these spikes will remind them that it's "too far" in some cases.  That it isn't without risk.

People have short memories when the summer sun calls for us to drop our guard and let loose.  Those feeling a false sense of security now face the fact that...this thing's still very real and strikes fast and furious.  

the problem is we're a couple months from heading back inside and into flu season and we'll be dealing with a new wave going into that instead of dealing with it after we're back inside.  WE should have stayed in phase two through the summer so we were in athe best situation possible before the fall and winter when they predicted a second, bigger wave on top of flu season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

That's so disheartening.  Maybe resort/vacation destinations need their own set of regional "rules" in order to protect locals/everyone?  

Here people are pretty good and seem to be doing what it takes but yeah, I guess you're right in that hotspots are a huge concern.

I've lived in the Okanagan for 43 of my 49 years and I've never seen it this busy.  

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I was just in Kelowna on the weekend.  Saw lots of masks in the hotel, at the wineries we visited, lots of awareness of need to social distance.  I wasn't near a bar or nightclub so can't comment on what they are doing.  In the liquor store I was in every person in line had a mask on, only comment was from some old fart that walked in and told those of us in line that we were too far apart ...his comment wasn't well received.  He seemed to be a local.  

Just now, skategal said:

I was just in Kelowna on the weekend.  Saw lots of masks in the hotel, at the wineries we visited, lots of awareness of need to social distance.  I wasn't near a bar or nightclub so can't comment on what they are doing.  In the liquor store I was in every person in line had a mask on, only comment was from some old fart that walked in and told those of us in line that we were too far apart ...his comment wasn't well received.  He seemed to be a local.  

I'd say I go most days without seeing a single mask.  Had they stayed in phase two we wouldn't need masks.  We had, as Deb says, a balance

• Cheers 1

I don't know how to do this, but could each area, have their level of COVID-19 response be tied to their level of cases. For instance Kelowna has had a spike in cases, so they therefore have to clamp down more. I can see peer groups being more active in helping get this thing under control. "Hey everybody let's get down to 'x' so that we can now do 'y' ". Maybe too simplistic. Just a thought. And it should be done regionally.

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well, it's a big country. You should be able to survive at home and alone if you feel that strongly about it. So that's good.

So I don't get to go to the store safely to feed my family so a bunch of lowlifes can party? I don't get to see my Mom who fell at home and broke her wrist last week? No thanks. Put on a mask 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

38 minutes ago, skategal said:

Come to the valley, masks are as rare as dodo birds. People wander stores however the hell they please, arrows are for simps. 

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/20/21331060/anti-mask-groups-facebook-misinformation?fbclid=IwAR1FQdlcFXPZTRARd8u1aylwOwWF9xv-s7f8IXSeUObmDKqGeE7Vin9c49Y

Good.  I saw some of these clowns protesting here and they're a misinformed and hostile group. 

Let the door hit ya on the way out...

So I have a "friend" on Facebook that lives in Washington state who is one of these red hat wearing turd burglars who posts a lot of the nonsense most of us make fun of on a daily basis. Yesterday he posted an artical from the AAPS, the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (sounds official right? I assure you it's not) about the "danger" of wearing masks. I read the article and looked up the organization and found all that I needed to form a conclusion.  From Wikipedia:

The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) is a conservative non-profit association founded in 1944. The group was reported to have about 5,000 members in 2014. The association has promoted a range of scientifically discredited hypotheses, including the belief that HIV does not cause AIDS, that being gay reduces life expectancy, that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer, and that there is a causal relationship between vaccines and autism. It is opposed to the Affordable Care Act and other forms of universal health insurance

Anyhoo it sounds official but obviously it's a bunch of politically charged hot air but I digress. My point to writing this is it's now the second thing that pops up on my Facebook feed. The spread of disinformation is rampant in social media and it needs to be regulated. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Come to the valley, masks are as rare as dodo birds. People wander stores however the hell they please, arrows are for simps. 

I just start commenting very loudly when people go the wrong way.
Also it helps me spot Trump voters, they either bitch about masks in the stores, or walk outside without one.

Perfect way to spot goobers.

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Is the 7pm salute still going on in your areas?  I still do it but it's down to like 3 of us in our area in White Rock.

I live in a condo in a tower in the Brentwood area.  We are quite high up and notice that the salute is certainly not as loud or as well attended.  Also don't hear the Gun go off very often any more.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

You have more faith in people than I do.  The second you ease up, people will try to get to normal and resume their lives the way they were before.  But, it's not normal and we have to accept that and adapt to itbecause it's not going to adapt to us.  We're trying trying to control a situation that we have no control over and it's going to hit us hard if we maintain that mindset.  Things are going to be tough, very tough and many are going to struggle, but that's just the way it is.........other generations have had bigger obstacles to stuggle through and managed to do so.

Me, i am doing day hikes within an hour of my home... , doing some yard projects.... and . shopping for groceries with a mask later in the evening....

No wine tours / hotels  and definately no gyms... I don't want to risk breathing in air born Covid from an indoor building .. unless i would consider it essential such as groceries.... 

People should not be going back to normal right now in my opinion.....

Edited by kingofsurrey