The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

My grandparents we t through the great depression, then fought the Nazis as teenagers/young adults.  I don't get why it's hard for these kids to play ball for the public good.

Beats me, my grandmother lost 3 sisters, 2 brothers and a father in WW2.

Fought against Germans and Italians as a kid basically, survived typhus.

Led a great life, lived by herself until she passed away at the age of 92.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The problem is the sudden surges that could explode.  

So a slight uptick is something we can "manage"...but when we go from 10 to 50, it's a matter of where those 50 have been and who they've come into contact with.  A rapid acceleration could happen if we're complacent.

If Dr. Bonnie's concerned (she is), we all should be.  She hasn't steered us wrong yet - she's known, all along, that we'd have upticks but it's surges that are worrying.

60 or the new cases stem from the Kelowna 'events'.  The real problem is that many of the people that were in Kelowna are not locals and have scattered their covid germs throughout the province.  This makes the situation much harder to trace; which is concerning.

Unfortunately, (as Dr. Bonnie has stated), if you ban these 'events', then the parties will  continue underground and will be impossible to trace. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So it's your fault....:angry:

I'm on holidays and I'm trying to get a back yard deck built....I've had one decent weather day since Friday and the forecast is calling for more rain all week.

I expect to see an ark float by, any day now....<_<

Sweet.

How big of a deck?

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

60 or the new cases stem from the Kelowna 'events'.  The real problem is that many of the people that were in Kelowna are not locals and have scattered their covid germs throughout the province.  This makes the situation much harder to trace; which is concerning.

Unfortunately, (as Dr. Bonnie has stated), if you ban these 'events', then the parties will  continue underground and will be impossible to trace. 

then you set up a hotline to report these parties and you fine the sh!t out of the people there and the people hosting.  When a neo natal icu unit is breached because we can't handle a little inconvenience to our lives all bets are off and it's time to put asking nicely to the side.  We give far too much leeway to the inconsiderate a-hole faction of our society

Edited by stawns
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to isolate.

Since March, I have gone to grocery store, out to play with my kids and I see my parents outside while we socially distance.

Haven’t been to any bars, I do pick up food from the restaurants.

I am not in my 20s but I am not that old either.

I'm an introvert. Don't want people sick, hurt, or families separated but I'm in isolation heaven.

Nothing better than backyard beersh with the wife.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

then you set up a hotline to report these parties and you fine the sh!t out of the people there and the people hosting.  When a neo natal icu unit is breached because we can't handle a little inconvenience to our lives all bets are off and it's time to put asking nicely to the side.  We give far too much leeway to the inconsiderate a-hole faction of our society

I call them maskholes.

It's true.  You can't host a party and allow booze to flow freely then people to drive away.  Same thing here. 

Also....bars should not be open...no one "needs" to drink in a bar.  Not sorry.

Restaurants also need to be under scrutiny to ensure everyone's following protocol (or leaves).  Tough but the alternative is even tougher (being completely shut down).

https://www.tricitynews.com/news/staff-at-two-tri-cities-restaurants-test-positive-for-covid-19-1.24173452?fbclid=IwAR1sdLZ_8qgX1H5Gf8uMp7Hv6d4x01M3rpCVD6cLqncQqk8CsYP1Cp5eswM

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You don't need to worry about me "invading".

We had planned on traveling to Kelowna this summer, to visit my 86 year old mom. She just had to have pretty major surgery and is now in some sort of recovery facility. (I think she called it Cottonwoods?)

Needless to say, we're worried about her, but right now going to see her in person can only make things worse. We're staying home this year and hoping for next summer.

I'm near Kelowna...hope the surgery went well!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

I'm an introvert. Don't want people sick, hurt, or families separated but I'm in isolation heaven.

Haha, me too!

Nothing much has changed in my life (except sports).

I quite like being able to steer people away from my personal space when I'm out trying to enjoy nature.  Politely, but firmly.  "GIT"

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canorth said:

Probably Cottonwoods. It’s a Long Term Care Facility they have a convalescence program to help with the transition from hospital to home - which I believe you may be referring to. 

FWIW, I work in Long Term Care in PG and we’re still on pretty tight lock down. If facilities in Kelowna are anything like the ones up here, she probably in the safest place she can be right now.

Funny you should mention that. My mom worked at PGRH for many years. Started off as a Nurse's Aide, then moved into medical records.

For the last decade or so, she was on the HEU bargaining committee and spent most of her time doing that.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't say that........their early response was slow and wishy washy and now they've dropped the ball completely.  The only good part was in the middle.  She tries too hard to be nice about things

I don't agree.

She knows that she attracts more flies with honey than vinegar.  I mean, people don't like being "told" what to do but if asked, they may react more receptively.

Everyone was wishy washy at the start because this was a novel coronavirus and nothing was known about it.

She's firm but kind.  And it's worked really well so far...wouldn't you say?  On a global scale and in comparison to other places?

It's up to us...that's both the blessing and the curse.

I have no doubt that she'll shut things down again if she feels it's needed.  That's firm/tough.   So it's all about how people do things and if they assume responsibility for their actions and follow guidelines...she can only control that so much.  But she can/will react to it (likely in a swift manner as she's been on top of this all along).  She's trying NOT to be heavy handed (first).  And, hopefully, people will tune back in like adults without forcing her to take drastic action.

Summer weather and people go crazy.  Pace your/ourselves.  An "all in" by the public in a return to their normal lives will invite an all in reaction in response.  If we do things but do them right/carefully, then we'll have more freedom and options in that.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, stawns said:

We had a nice liveable balance happening in BC while we were in phase 2.  It wasn't easy and a lot of people were struggling, but with government help we were all getting by.  Now, with phase 3, that's all been wasted.

I don't think what we accomplished in Phase 2 was wasted at all.  It bought us time, it taught us how to do things safely, it allowed business's to figure out how they could adapt to the new normal and potentially operate safely and not go out of business.  It allowed the hospitals and health care system to figure out the new normal. I don't think what we had was a liveable balance for the long term in Phase 2.  It negatively affected people's health both mental and physical.  It had a dramatic negative impact on our economy and wasn't sustainable as the government can not hand out money long term.  People need to work to survive, or we will be dealing with 10x the homeless within a year and that won't go well.  We will be back to the "Great Depression" lifestyle which as I have heard wasn't fun for many people.  

We need to keep trundling along at a low rate of infection which I think we can do.  It doesn't require complete shutdowns again, we all just need to be careful.  What we need to guard against are spikes that can't be traced so that those impacted can be isolated without infecting others.  Hence the need for small gatherings, leaving one's name at any dining establishment etc. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't agree.

She knows that she attracts more flies with honey than vinegar.  I mean, people don't like being "told" what to do but if asked, they may react more receptively.

Everyone was wishy washy at the start because this was a novel coronavirus and nothing was known about it.

She's firm but kind.  And it's worked really well so far...wouldn't you say?  On a global scale and in comparison to other places?

It's up to us...that's the problem.

I disagree........early on she was trying to use honey and people ignored her.  March and into April were terrible here, no one comlied with anything.  Then they used some authority to $&!# things down and we fell into line and found a nice balance in phase two.  Now she's trying to use honey again and people are not just ignoring the "suggestions", but are openly flaunting them.  This is not a situation that requires pussyfooting around, imo.

That said, I can't imagine how this would have gone if the BC Libs were at the helm.  Imagine Gordo or Kristy managing this?

matthew broderick jewish GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Haha, me too!

Nothing much has changed in my life (except sports).

I quite like being able to steer people away from my personal space when I'm out trying to enjoy nature.  Politely, but firmly.  "GIT"

Yea a hotel room party....nasty.

Or I could sleep in my own bed. I don't get it 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skategal said:

I don't think what we accomplished in Phase 2 was wasted at all.  It bought us time, it taught us how to do things safely, it allowed business's to figure out how they could adapt to the new normal and potentially operate safely and not go out of business.  It allowed the hospitals and health care system to figure out the new normal. I don't think what we had was a liveable balance for the long term in Phase 2.  It negatively affected people's health both mental and physical.  It had a dramatic negative impact on our economy and wasn't sustainable as the government can not hand out money long term.  People need to work to survive, or we will be dealing with 10x the homeless within a year and that won't go well.  We will be back to the "Great Depression" lifestyle which as I have heard wasn't fun for many people.  

We need to keep trundling along at a low rate of infection which I think we can do.  It doesn't require complete shutdowns again, we all just need to be careful.  What we need to guard against are spikes that can't be traced so that those impacted can be isolated without infecting others.  Hence the need for small gatherings, leaving one's name at any dining establishment etc. 

You have more faith in people than I do.  The second you ease up, people will try to get to normal and resume their lives the way they were before.  But, it's not normal and we have to accept that and adapt to itbecause it's not going to adapt to us.  We're trying trying to control a situation that we have no control over and it's going to hit us hard if we maintain that mindset.  Things are going to be tough, very tough and many are going to struggle, but that's just the way it is.........other generations have had bigger obstacles to stuggle through and managed to do so.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/20/21331060/anti-mask-groups-facebook-misinformation?fbclid=IwAR1FQdlcFXPZTRARd8u1aylwOwWF9xv-s7f8IXSeUObmDKqGeE7Vin9c49Y

Good.  I saw some of these clowns protesting here and they're a misinformed and hostile group. 

Let the door hit ya on the way out...

The one guy that said he was getting all his info from Q drops told me all I needed to know.... they’re brainwashed

• Vintage 3

5 minutes ago, skategal said:

I'm hoping that its just that we have never been through this before (in our lifetimes) and are learning as we go along.  I'm hoping that businesses double down and be more vigilant to enforcing their rules.  Clubs and Bars absolutely need to be closed.  The small benefit to the economy by having these things open is not worth the risk.  If you have to go through a loophole to even be allowed to open, something is wrong.  Also grocery stores need to restore the type of monitoring that we saw before Phase 2.  Not sure what changed with the rules but somehow they became lax with enforcing social distancing and limiting the # of customers at a time.  Sure, its probably not a big source or risk of spread but the important thing is that it sends the message to the general public that things are absolutely not back to normal despite the economy slowly opening up again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

You have more faith in people than I do.  The second you ease up, people will try to get to normal and resume their lives the way they were before.  But, it's not normal and we have to accept that and adapt to itbecause it's not going to adapt to us.  We're trying trying to control a situation that we have no control over and it's going to hit us hard if we maintain that mindset.  Things are going to be tough, very tough and many are going to struggle, but that's just the way it is.........other generations have had bigger obstacles to stuggle through and managed to do so.

I guess I do have faith in people, and I would say the vast majority of people are doing many things to follow CDC guidelines.  More people are wearing masks in public than ever before.  People are social distancing a lot more.  Fewer people are eating in restaurants, fewer people are going to pubs/nightclubs.  Fewer people are going to gyms.  Stores aren't as crowded and people try for the most part to follow directional signage.  

I think expecting 100% compliance is unrealistic.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1