The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We all saw it coming......  at least all of us except for the BC gov.....

Sad to see our province fail to sustain our great start.  I guess we go back to lockdown soon. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

On 8/11/2020 at 9:05 AM, coho8888 said:

Not sure what you mean by "running its course" .  No country has had Covid "run its course".  Maybe you mean they are closer to getting things under control.  They had 428 test positives on the 5th.  If you are saying that Sweden's model has turned out to be successful, I suggest you do a little more research.  They started out with a more lax approach and it cost them lives.  If you are comparing us to Sweden, well we aren't exactly locked down either but we took a tougher approach for a few months and it resulted in far fewer deaths proportionally.  Also the economic gains that Sweden had were not as much as they thought they would be compared to their Scandinavian counterparts.  

Looking good. 

10 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/06/05/swed-j05.html

even it’s own health officials said the number of deaths was not acceptable

True. They didn't need to let it get into long term care facilities as they did. Still their overall death toll (1 in 17000 ) makes me believe this virus is not very deadly. I'm happy about it. Maybe it mutated into a less serious form since it was in Wuhan.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, footsy said:

True. They didn't need to let it get into long term care facilities as they did. Still their overall death toll (1 in 17000 ) makes me believe this virus is not very deadly. I'm happy about it. Maybe it mutated into a less serious form since it was in Wuhan.

Or maybe many have it and when most are weakened by the common flu it’ll show its ugly face...

Just sayin’

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, footsy said:

http://www.covid-19canada.com/

Sweden 84,294 cases

5,783 deaths

6.9% mortality rate.

But you think the virus is not very deadly.?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gurn said:

Sweden 84,294 cases

5,783 deaths

6.9% mortality rate.

The "not deadly" crowd is a joke.   What I'm interested in is the long term effects that survivors will have to deal with.  How many of the survivors will have their long term health affected by the virus?   That is something that isn't mentioned, like at all, by the people who parrot the "it isn't deadly" or "it's no worse than the flu" talking points.  It is an important factor that we don't know enough about yet. 

• Vintage 3

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The "not deadly" crowd is a joke.   What I'm interested in is the long term effects that survivors will have to deal with.  How many of the survivors will have their long term health affected by the virus?   That is something that isn't mentioned, like at all, by the people who parrot the "it isn't deadly" or "it's no worse than the flu" talking points.  It is an important factor that we don't know enough about yet. 

That's the scary part of this virus.  Way too many unanswered questions.  My mom mentioned some long-term affects in asymptomatic people.  She said how COVID can cause some crystalline in the lungs of asymptotic people.  The crystals can develop into lung cancer apparently.  Take all of that with a tiniest grain of salt possible cause I have no science to back me up.  I like to keep that in the back of my mind though, makes me more cautious.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, gurn said:

Sweden 84,294 cases

5,783 deaths

6.9% mortality rate.

Covid only took out .006 % of the Swedish population. The Spanish flu took out 3% of the world population. The Spanish flu was 500 times more deadly than Covid in Sweden.

If the mortality rate is so high, as your stats show, and actual deaths are so low, very few people must be catching Covid. Another possibility is that many people who caught the disease were not counted. The CDC director in the States has suggested the case numbers may be 10 times higher than reported.

If Sweden has a second wave, then it's still an open debate.

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I mention it often because I'm experiencing it firsthand.  I'm on month 5 of recovery and it's not getting a whole lot better

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

42 minutes ago, footsy said:

Covid only took out .006 % of the Swedish population. The Spanish flu took out 3% of the world population. The Spanish flu was 500 times more deadly than Covid in Sweden.

If the mortality rate is so high, as your stats show, and actual deaths are so low, very few people must be catching Covid. Another possibility is that many people who caught the disease were not counted. The CDC director in the States has suggested the case numbers may be 10 times higher than reported.

If Sweden has a second wave, then it's still an open debate.

In case you haven't noticed, Covid isn't over.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gurn said:

Sweden 84,294 cases

5,783 deaths

6.9% mortality rate.

3 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

What is surprising is that no one seemed to give a crap about the thousands of people that die every day without Covid. 

56 minutes ago, stawns said:

I mention it often because I'm experiencing it firsthand.  I'm on month 5 of recovery and it's not getting a whole lot better

Did you actually get tested? From what you've stated it seems like it could be something else. I only minored in brain physiology so I'm not an authority. You seemed to have this condition early March if I recall correctly. If you're not getting better it's probably something else. Go to the doctor.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Did you actually get tested? From what you've stated it seems like it could be something else. I only minored in brain physiology so I'm not an authority. You seemed to have this condition early March if I recall correctly. If you're not getting better it's probably something else. Go to the doctor.

when I was sick, it waslate January, early February. There was no test and I didn't know what it was.  As a teacher I get every virus that comes along and I have never, in my career, had anything even remotely like what I had then and I have been suffering ever since.  What was going in March was the after effects I think.

• Cheers 1