The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Do you love her lack of support for masks.... or do you  love her support for glory holes and Albertan tourists ?  Just curious ?

Sorry, i haven't been following this much lately. I was under the impression that she said masks help but aren't perfect. Not sure what you mean by glory holes but Albertan tourists are Ok if they never leave their vehicles. (That was a joke) My sister lives in Calgary, are you saying she can never visit her family ever again?

It looks like the virus has run it's course in Sweden. Somewhere between zero and one person dying per day for a few weeks now, with no lockdowns. Fantastic news if this holds up. Fewer than 1 in 17000 Swedes died from the virus. They only had one schoolkid die, so there seems to be little risk in that regard. No obvious evidence of school kids infecting adults although they admittedly didn't track that aspect as they should have.

Russia president Putin says have approved first Russian-produced coronavirus vaccine

Tue 11 Aug 2020 08:48:05 GMT

Putin says that his daughter has been vaccinated from the coronavirus

Putin

• Says that Russian health ministry has approved coronavirus vaccine developed by Moscow's Gamaleya Institute
  • Says hopes Russia will start mass production of coronavirus vaccine
  •  
Take what you will and believe what you want from the headlines above, but this may lay the groundwork for other countries to start prepping their own "breakthroughs" sooner rather than later. As with everything related to the pandemic thus far, all it takes is for one country to set a precedent and the others will take that as an opportunity to follow.

Somehow I have my doubts.
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Russia president Putin says have approved first Russian-produced coronavirus vaccine

• Says that Russian health ministry has approved coronavirus vaccine developed by Moscow's Gamaleya Institute
  •  
Take what you will and believe what you want from the headlines above, but this may lay the groundwork for other countries to start prepping their own "breakthroughs" sooner rather than later. As with everything related to the pandemic thus far, all it takes is for one country to set a precedent and the others will take that as an opportunity to follow.

I don't know, something smells fishy here.

*Puts tinfoil hat on*

Yes... yes I am seeing it now...

Putin creates the virus in a lab in Siberia, releases it in Wuhan, China. Knowing that his own appointed useful idiot would bungle the handling of the virus and China would take the lion's share of the blame and suffer the ire of the rest of the world. Now Putin magically has a vaccine and we are still in August, the rest of the world still well behind. Putin will now use the vaccine as leverage to exploit the world completing the master stroke.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/coronavirus-breaks-out-again-in-new-zealand-after-102-days-1.5059206

WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND -- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Tuesday that authorities have found four cases of the coronavirus in one Auckland household from an unknown source, the first reported cases of local transmission in the country in 102 days.

Ardern said Auckland, the nation's largest city, will be moved to Alert Level 3 from midday Wednesday through midnight Friday, meaning that people will be asked to stay at home, while bars and many other businesses will be closed.

"These three days will give us time to assess the situation, gather information, make sure we have widespread contact tracing so we can find out more about how this case arose and make decisions about how to respond to it once we have further information," Ardern said at a hastily called news conference late Tuesday.

"I know that this information will be very difficult to receive," Ardern said. "We had all hoped not to find ourselves in this position again. But we had also prepared for it. And as a team, we have also been here before."

She said that travelling into Auckland will be banned unless people live there and are travelling home.

She said the rest of the country will be raised to Level 2 through Friday, meaning that mass gatherings will be limited to 100 attendees and people would need to socially distance themselves from each other.

Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield said the infections were confirmed after a person in their 50s went to their doctor on Monday with symptoms and was swabbed twice, testing positive both times. Six other people in the person's household were then tested, with three more positive results.

"Importantly, the person has no history of overseas travel," Bloomfield said, adding that the source of the infections remains unknown.

Until Tuesday, the only known cases of the virus in New Zealand were 22 travellers who had recently returned from abroad and were being held in quarantine at the border.

The country has been praised globally for its virus response.

New Zealand initially got rid of the virus by imposing a strict lockdown in late March when only about 100 people had tested positive for the disease. That stopped its spread.

Life had returned to normal for many people in the South Pacific nation of 5 million, as they attended rugby games at packed stadiums and sat down in bars and restaurants without fear of getting infected. But some had warned that the country had become complacent.

New Zealanders have never routinely worn masks, but authorities have been urging people to buy them just in case.

The outbreak comes less than six weeks before New Zealanders are due to go to the polls in a general election.

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Putin

•  

Who knew that Polonium prevented Covid 19?

I've also heard that defenestration is a "cure" for anyone already infected......

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Toews said:

I don't know, something smells fishy here.

*Puts tinfoil hat on*

Yes... yes I am seeing it now...

Putin creates the virus in a lab in Siberia, releases it in Wuhan, China. Knowing that his own appointed useful idiot would bungle the handling of the virus and China would take the lion's share of the blame and suffer the ire of the rest of the world. Now Putin magically has a vaccine and we are still in August, the rest of the world still well behind. Putin will now use the vaccine as leverage to exploit the world completing the master stroke.

Not even close to the dumbest conspiracy theory out there....

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, footsy said:

It looks like the virus has run it's course in Sweden. Somewhere between zero and one person dying per day for a few weeks now, with no lockdowns. Fantastic news if this holds up. Fewer than 1 in 17000 Swedes died from the virus. They only had one schoolkid die, so there seems to be little risk in that regard. No obvious evidence of school kids infecting adults although they admittedly didn't track that aspect as they should have.

Not sure what you mean by "running its course" .  No country has had Covid "run its course".  Maybe you mean they are closer to getting things under control.  They had 428 test positives on the 5th.  If you are saying that Sweden's model has turned out to be successful, I suggest you do a little more research.  They started out with a more lax approach and it cost them lives.  If you are comparing us to Sweden, well we aren't exactly locked down either but we took a tougher approach for a few months and it resulted in far fewer deaths proportionally.  Also the economic gains that Sweden had were not as much as they thought they would be compared to their Scandinavian counterparts.  

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Not sure what you mean by "running its course" .  No country has had Covid "run its course".  Maybe you mean they are closer to getting things under control.  They had 428 test positives on the 5th.  If you are saying that Sweden's model has turned out to be successful, I suggest you do a little more research.  They started out with a more lax approach and it cost them lives.  If you are comparing us to Sweden, well we aren't exactly locked down either but we took a tougher approach for a few months and it resulted in far fewer deaths proportionally.  Also the economic gains that Sweden had were not as much as they thought they would be compared to their Scandinavian counterparts.  

Even their chief epidemiologist admitted that if they had to do it all over again, they would have done things at least between what Sweden actually did and what other governments, like Canada, did.

Article is from June, but illustrates the point that Sweden isn't this shining beacon. 

https://globalnews-ca.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/globalnews.ca/news/7020169/coronavirus-sweden-scientist-method/amp/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15971585351481&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Sweden could have handled coronavirus response better, chief epidemiologist admits

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

And people forget just because Sweden didn’t have formal legalized lockdowns, it doesn’t mean they did jack ****.  They gave out voluntary suggestions (eg., social distancing, washing hands, etc) which the people followed as they tend to trust what their government says over there.  As well, you don’t see a lot of them eating Rotten Ronald’s everyday (not sure what the smoking rate is over there) unlike here.  They are, by and large, more healthy in that country.  That played a factor in how the virus affected their country.  Can’t assume it would turn out the same here what with all these cholesterol heavy (as well as other crap we ingest) restaurants that many people visit most if not all days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, footsy said:

Sweden has already 5 deaths so far today from Covid ....    not sure where you get your information from...  Fox news maybe ?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Ok, this one is for KOS... this is getting more confusing by the day.  So is it 60-120?  Or is it less than that?  Now we're being told the groups are likely to be classroom size?

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/08/11/learning-groups-bc-students/

#gongshow

Stay safe everyone. Wash your hands, stay home if you are ill,  socially distance and please wear a mask.   These  things are simple and really the least we can all do for each other. 

Schools with no masks...

Just one week after schools reopened in a northern Georgia school district, more than 800 of its students and staff have been told to quarantine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coronavirus-cases-lead-over-800-quarantine-georgia-school-district-where-n1236364

Edited by kingofsurrey

20 hours ago, BoKnows said:

It doesn't even look like he's spraying the febreze into the mask.

I personally just tested a disposable mask spraying Febreeze into it (less than an inch from the mask) in the direction of the bathroom mirror.  Not a single drop touch the mirror.  Then did the outside of the mask.  Droplets showed around the mask but not though the middle.

So the video is bogus.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Come on BC!  We're starting to lose against Ontario!  Are we gonna let this happen??  Is your partying and drinking with buddies more important?!

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-reports-lowest-number-of-new-covid-19-cases-in-146-days-1.5059417

Ontario government has done an outstanding job.....   No surprise that soon they will have better covid numbers than us....

The coronavirus blame game is a powerful dynamic

Tue 11 Aug 2020 19:14:31 GMT

What we're learning from New Zealand and college football

What we're learning from New Zealand and college football

The politics of COVID-19 are a moving target but the dynamic to me is increasingly clear:

1. People will be extremely supportive of politicians who take early, harsh measures even if they initially screwed up on stopping the virus
  2. They won't forgive those who screw up twice
That has massive implications for the way forward.

The most popular politician in the world right now is New Zealand's Jacinda Ardern. Whether it was an early lockdown or luck, the country's shutout of the virus is an immense source of national pride.

Yet the virus crept in and today the country locked down Auckland after a family of four came down with COVID-19 despite no travel history or contacts getting it. That means there some unknown community spread.

On the face of it, that kind of reaction seems over-the-top. It will probably work but it's a huge economic cost.

Yet the political cost of not doing it would be even higher.

I think other politicians are also learning that lesson. France is seeing a flare up and beginning to quickly lockdown. The UK is trying to use regional measures. In Israel, the second wave has been extremely damaging economically and politically for leaders.

So what I expect will happen with the reopening of schools is that flare ups (at minimum) will come and governments will be very quick to close it down.

US college football is another measure of which way the wind is blowing. The Big-10 conference was pushing to hold a season but just cancelled it. The dominoes are continuing to fall and it's all politics at this point. If you cancel you upset a lot of people but if you don't cancel and there's an outbreak or someone dies, now your career is toast. Moreover, it's not just the football people, university presidents are also going to see their careers on the line.

What's more is that the psychological toll on consumers in a second lockdown is far higher than the first.

Some interesting points.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1