The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Ffs, maybe we shouldn't have awarded Bonnie the Stanley Cup in the first period of game one?

Or....maybe individuals should get their head out of their a** and stop thinking the virus doesn't involve them?  If each citizen did their part, this wouldn't be spreading.  In the past 4+ weeks, it's largely spreading among the 20 - 40 year old age bracket.  Gee, that would be the party hearty crowd, the beach gang, the camping in large clusters.  Sadly the real risk is who they give it to.  Lots of retail and server employees now being infected so potentially spreading it.  Safeway in Ocean Park, Footlocker downtown, and on and on.  How hard is it to follow basic recommendations?  We're heading full blast toward a full shutdown again, and all those people who are just getting back to work will be unemployed again because of their own selfish activities.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, skategal said:

Or....maybe individuals should get their head out of their a** and stop thinking the virus doesn't involve them?  If each citizen did their part, this wouldn't be spreading.  In the past 4+ weeks, it's largely spreading among the 20 - 40 year old age bracket.  Gee, that would be the party hearty crowd, the beach gang, the camping in large clusters.  Sadly the real risk is who they give it to.  Lots of retail and server employees now being infected so potentially spreading it.  Safeway in Ocean Park, Footlocker downtown, and on and on.  How hard is it to follow basic recommendations?  We're heading full blast toward a full shutdown again, and all those people who are just getting back to work will be unemployed again because of their own selfish activities.  

It's too bad the government is powerless to do anything about the people who won't follow the rules, hey? If only there was a way?

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

It's too bad the government is powerless to do anything about the people who won't follow the rules, hey? If only there was a way?

It's probably going to come to more enforcement, I personally hate the idea of living in a police state where everyone is compelled to rat out others.  Would be more tolerable if people could perhaps stop behaving so selfishly.  That's probably expecting too much though.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Thing is, once you give people that kind of power it can go terribly wrong and be used against the wrong people.

And also, to turn back the clock when it's time.

I'd prefer people act responsibly before they get all of our privileges stripped away.  

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, once you give people that kind of power it can go terribly wrong and be used against the wrong people.

And also, to turn back the clock when it's time.

I'd prefer people act responsibly before they get all of our privileges stripped away.  

I hear ya Deb, I just don't have much faith in a certain portion of general population. There needs to be some protections for the responsible people in all of this. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, skategal said:

These 20 to 40 year olds have parents themselves.  What are the parents doing about it?  I'm in my 50's and my mom is still nagging me about doing all the right things, wearing masks, limiting my trips to the grocery stores, asking where I'm going and who I'm going with.  I know they are adults, but if they don't listen to their elders then who are they going to listen to?  I'm lucky in that my 20 year old daughter has her head on straight.  Only seen her friends a couple of times and only with a group of about 3 or 4, socially distancing and wearing masks.  I'd like to think that its because of complacency or the "I don't care" attitude, not the outright defiance that we see down south.  The province needs to do some PSA ads to try and persuade people to stop this.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I hear ya Deb, I just don't have much faith in a certain portion of general population. There needs to be some protections for the responsible people in all of this. 

If you spit on someone, it is considered assault. Maybe I should test if knocking a fool out that has no mask, is within six feet of me and coughs in my direction is the same? 

Poor courts, there might be all sorts of silly charges coming.

• Cheers 1

I believe there are a tremendous number of great kids out there that are doing all the right things.  I see them in parks, on sidewalks, lineups, they respect social distancing, they are wearing masks.  Sadly there are enough who are immature self centered jerks who only think about the 3 feet around them.  I see a gal in the Club 16 gym I go to.  She's maybe 20.  Twice now in the women's side weight room I've watched her take a weight bench that has a 30 cm sticker on it that says "Do Not Move" and drag the bench across the room to the cable machine so she can sit her pristine butt on it to do seated rows.  She then ties up two pieces of equipment so someone else can't use the weight bench to do their workout.  Why she can't sit on a mat on the floor to do her seated rows, or do them standing is a complete mystery to me, but the next time I see her do it I'll ask her if I can help her with a workout selection that doesn't make her look like an entitled princess.  She is the epitome of someone I expect flaunts the rules, doesn't wear a mask, parties with her friends and gives zero thought to impacts on other people.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hopefully the bulk of these new cases are people that are already in isolation due to the contact tracing.  Some of them will be having symptoms now and would probably want to be tested.

Unfortunately, it seems that the increase in infections is a common factor in phase 3.  If this continues as it is, I suspect we will start seeing restrictions in our daily activities at some point.  Lots of businesses and their employees will suffer and there will be more debt racked up in our province. 

Nevertheless, I sure am getting tired of hearing about all these yahoos out partying and having a great time, while the rest of us are doing our best to follow the protocols and keep the infection rate down.  I think it's time to get the word out that stiff fines are coming their way.  Just need a few recipients to set an example and the word will get out very quickly.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, skategal said:

I believe there are a tremendous number of great kids out there that are doing all the right things.  I see them in parks, on sidewalks, lineups, they respect social distancing, they are wearing masks.  Sadly there are enough who are immature self centered jerks who only think about the 3 feet around them.  I see a gal in the Club 16 gym I go to.  She's maybe 20.  Twice now in the women's side weight room I've watched her take a weight bench that has a 30 cm sticker on it that says "Do Not Move" and drag the bench across the room to the cable machine so she can sit her pristine butt on it to do seated rows.  She then ties up two pieces of equipment so someone else can't use the weight bench to do their workout.  Why she can't sit on a mat on the floor to do her seated rows, or do them standing is a complete mystery to me, but the next time I see her do it I'll ask her if I can help her with a workout selection that doesn't make her look like an entitled princess.  She is the epitome of someone I expect flaunts the rules, doesn't wear a mask, parties with her friends and gives zero thought to impacts on other people.  

Don't confront her. Tell the front desk. She might be a moron. Hard to communicate with morons.

I hear you, its not all young people, I have plenty in my extended fam. All good people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Don't confront her. Tell the front desk. She might be a moron. Hard to communicate with morons.

I hear you, its not all young people, I have plenty in my extended fam. All good people.

I did tell the front desk staff as I was leaving, but have little confidence they did anything about it.  If they did, it won't happen again.  If they didn't, it will happen again and I'll address it.  She may not be a moron, maybe just not thinking about the ramifications of her actions so I'll try and address it in a kind and gentle way until she gives me a reason to bring out my inner bitch LOL!   The grey hair might help reduce any potential attitude from her.  

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, skategal said:

I did tell the front desk staff as I was leaving, but have little confidence they did anything about it.  If they did, it won't happen again.  If they didn't, it will happen again and I'll address it.  She may not be a moron, maybe just not thinking about the ramifications of her actions so I'll try and address it in a kind and gentle way until she gives me a reason to bring out my inner bitch LOL!   The grey hair might help reduce any potential attitude from her.  

Don’t hesitate to call WorkSafeBC if there are any violations of their safety plan.  It’s not about being a snitch it’s a matter of  public safety.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Absolutely no surprise here...

When our government tells kids that they don't need to social distrance in classrooms / portables...that have typically very VERY poor ventilation.... .. 30 kids per room. NO masks even needed....

How do you expect these kids then  to act on weekends...?   BC gov needed to send out a consistent message.

This virus is easily transmitted.   Kids need to be 2 metres apart.  Good ventilation in rooms. MASKs required.

Our government has let us all down with its mixed messages. 

BC govenment has earned a Fail after such a great start in March / April .   We hit a home run the first 2 months and then got over confident - stopped listening to the MOST recent science on covid. 

Sad that it may put us back to another lockdown.  We blew our chance to really limit the Covid in BC.   

But a big thank you to all those smart BCers that did everything right and made sacrifices to help others... 

My elderly mom is still kicking.... maybe what everyone did has made a difference.  

Covid is such a rollercoaster ride...  We can't get too high or too low.... just stay focused on staying healthy.  distancing, masking up, don't get in rooms with large groups of people.... good ventilation, and hand washing..  

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Absolutely no surprise here...

When our government tells kids that they don't need to social distrance in classrooms / portables...that have typically very VERY poor ventilation.... .. 30 kids per room. NO masks even needed....

How do you expect these kids then  to act on weekends...?   BC gov needed to send out a consistent message.

This virus is easily transmitted.   Kids need to be 2 metres apart.  Good ventilation in rooms. MASKs required.

Our government has let us all down with its mixed messages. 

BC govenment has earned a Fail after such a great start in March / April .   We hit a home run the first 2 months and then got over confident - stopped listening to the MOST recent science on covid. 

Sad that it may put us back to another lockdown.  We blew our chance to really limit the Covid in BC.   

But a big thank you to all those smart BCers that did everything right and made sacrifices to help others... 

My elderly mom is still kicking.... maybe what everyone did has made a difference.  

Covid is such a rollercoaster ride...  We can't get too high or too low.... just stay focused on staying healthy.  distancing, masking up, don't get in rooms with large groups of people.... good ventilation, and hand washing..  

The kids have parents.  And, the older kids, have brains.  Governments are not in place to parent our children.

No one said "don't social distance".  Ever from what I understand.

I get that there's frustration about the return to school....but don't blame the spikes on anything except those ignoring the guidelines.  Don't let them off the hook.

• Like 3