The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Maybe a lot of those people don't have health care, it is the U.S. after all. No money, no health care?

there is a big difference between not having health care and being scared. but the article lumped those two categories together, which is rather  misleading.

15 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

the difference between 15 and 15000k people is huge. and look in the post it definitely says 300000. why are you even fighting me on this, i dont like that they rounded up.

Again, you double down and are wrong still.

Both of those headlines say "NEARLY" 300,000.

'the difference between 15 and 15000k people is huge"

Thanks, but I already knew that.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Again, you double down and are wrong still.

Both of those headlines say "NEARLY" 300,000.

'the difference between 15 and 15000k people is huge"

Thanks, but I already knew that.

ok then, if the difference between 5 and 15k thousand is huge then it is not nearly the same number. 5% means alot to me and a lot of people. guys that are 5'10 will  ha ve a significant disadvantage in online dating comparedly to someone who is 6'. pretending that its ok,is not ok. would you be ok with a 5% paycut because its nearly the same, no you wouldnt. so why are you ok with the news exagerating in thier numbers?

38 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Apparently you care more about the rounding of the matter. 285/300 = 95 percent. That's the math.

The article didn't say that 285,000 IS 300,000. But it is justified to say it is nearly 300,000. Think of it this way. Is 95/100 nearly 100? I'm not sure why you wouldn't say it's not 'nearly' 100 because it is.

and your wrong that i care about the rounding, its more that the news does everything to make it seem worse off than it actually is. people are scared of coronavirus, there is a  reason that  this page has 1100+ pages. im not ok with scaring people with 15k more deaths

21 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

ok then, if the difference between 5 and 15k thousand is huge then it is not nearly the same number. 5% means alot to me and a lot of people. guys that are 5'10 will  ha ve a significant disadvantage in online dating comparedly to someone who is 6'. pretending that its ok,is not ok. would you be ok with a 5% paycut because its nearly the same, no you wouldnt. so why are you ok with the news exagerating in thier numbers?

I'd suggest you switch to de-caffeinated coffee, it would make your post more readable.

Just what are you trying to say here?

Just now, gurn said:

I'd suggest you switch to de-caffeinated coffee, it would make your post more readable.

Just what are you trying to say here?

listen you don't have to pester me, but you are. id rather you stop arguing about something i feel strongly about, your not going to get far.  go bother someone else

6 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

listen you don't have to pester me, but you are. id rather you stop arguing about something i feel strongly about, your not going to get far.  go bother someone else

As I read along, I can't help but point out to you that 95% can be stated as 'nearly' 100%

But if you feel strongly about it, I understand. The news does have a tendency to add to the dramatics, but it's not a stretch in this case. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

As I read along, I can't help but point out to you that 95% can be stated as 'nearly' 100%

But if you feel strongly about it, I understand. The news does have a tendency to add to the dramatics, but it's not a stretch in this case. 

once again, 5%  means alot to some people. when your 5'8'' do you lie and tell everyone that your 6 foot? why must i be  wrong because i dont like how it can mislead.

Edited by Petey_BOI

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

Honestly I don't care that you feel strongly about this or not. That is completely irrelevant to the facts, that 285 is nearly 300,  and the headlines both said "nearly"

link to a story on webmd

Story is from July of 202

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200729/recovered-covid-patients-often-have-heart-damage

July 30, 2020 -- A large number of patients who recover from the coronavirus may have heart damage weeks or months after they feel better, according to two new studies in JAMA Cardiology.

Released Monday, the studies reinforce the idea that COVID-19 attacks more than the lungs — it can damage other organs, too, even in people who were healthy before they contracted the virus.

In one study, researchers [SM1] from Germany analyzed MRI scans in 100 people between ages 45 to 53 who recovered from the coronavirus. Compared to scans of similar patients who didn’t have the virus, 78 had lingering heart damage and structural changes to their hearts. In addition, 76 of those patients had a biomarker usually found in heart attack patients, and 60 had heart inflammation.

Of the 100 patients recently recovered from COVID-19, 67 (67%) recovered at home, while 33 (33%) required hospitalization.

None of the patients had heart problems before the virus or experienced heart symptoms while they had COVID-19. They were “mostly healthy” before they got sick, the researchers said.

“The patients and ourselves were both surprised by the intensity and prevalence of these findings, and that they were still very pronounced even though the original illness had been by then already a few weeks away,” Valentina Puntmann, MD, a cardiologist at the University Hospital Frankfurt and a co-author of the study, told UPI.

“We found evidence of ongoing inflammation within the heart muscle, as well as of the heart’s lining in a considerable majority of patients,” she said.

In the other study, another team of researchers from Germany analyzed autopsy reports for 39 people between ages 78 to 89 who died from COVID-19 at the beginning of the pandemic. They found that the virus infected the heart in 16 -- or 41% -- of the patients.

“We see signs of viral replication in those that are heavily infected,” Dirk Westermann, MD, a cardiologist at the University Heart and Vascular Centre in Hamburg and a co-author of the study, told STAT.

“We don’t know the long-term consequences of the changes in gene expression yet,” he said. “I know from other diseases that it’s obviously not good to have that increased level of inflammation.”

Doctors have documented heart damage among COVID-19 patients worldwide. Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez announced on Sunday that he wouldn’t start the season because he’s dealing with heart inflammation after contracting the coronavirus. He’s waiting for additional MRI results to determine whether he can play, according to WEEI.

“Back when I got COVID, I felt it all. I felt all the symptoms and everything,” he told the radio station. “Right now, I don’t feel all the symptoms. I got surprised when I got that from my heart because I don’t feel any symptoms from that. I didn’t feel anything from my chest.

Of the 100 patients recently recovered from COVID-19, 67 (67%) recovered at home, while 33 (33%) required hospitalization.

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

nearly, is subjective. 285000 is  not nearly 300000

Do remember you said the number was 300,000 in the headlines. Which was false. Argue about what "nearly" means to you, all you want. The fact is the word "nearly" appears on both headlines, and you are the only person  that is mislead about it.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Do remember you said the number was 300,000 in the headlines. Which was false. Argue about what "nearly" means to you, all you want. The fact is the word "nearly" appears on both headlines, and you are the only person  that is mislead about it.

everyone who doesnt read the article is misled about it. and i would safely bet more people just read the headline. one would say that might mislead some people no?

your trying to make me look wrong when in fact i cannot be wrong on a subjective matter. you have already agreed with me that 15k is a large number. why not agree that its probably not good to round up 15k deaths. oh and by the way if all you have is the title to go by, nearly 300000 can only be 300000. keep fighting for no reason other than semantics. i find it quite childish and boring

BC  NOW needs leadership that is not anti mask and anti  current science....

COVID-19: Dozens of B.C.'s top doctors want mandatory masks in civic facilities

Letter from 171 doctors, surgeons and dentists sent as a dozen anti-maskers protest outside Vancouver city hall

“We cannot afford another “lockdown” which leads to devastating effects on individuals and society,” state the signatories, that include the Head of Infectious Diseases at St. Paul’s Hospital. “We need to act now and focus on improving our use of all basic interventions to reduce both transmission, and severity of illness from COVID-19.

“We recognize that non-medical masks, cloth face coverings, and surgical/medical masks are not 100 per cent effective in protecting against respiratory viruses including SARS-CoV-2. However, the emerging data strongly support the effectiveness of masks for protecting ourselves and others from developing COVID-19.

https://theprovince.com/news/covid-19-dozens-of-b-c-s-top-doctors-want-mandatory-masks-in-civic-facilities/wcm/9c6f34cf-6a30-4a20-96e5-63ff09caf3fb

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1

Wow - who saw this coming.....  If only Dr. B and Horgan actually would have worked with BC educators... 

Over 300 children and youth have tested positive for COVID-19 over the past two weeks.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/covid-19-b-c-reports-167-new-cases-and-one-death-over-past-day

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow - who saw this coming.....  If only Dr. B and Horgan actually would have worked with BC educators... 

Over 300 children and youth have tested positive for COVID-19 over the past two weeks.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/covid-19-b-c-reports-167-new-cases-and-one-death-over-past-day

There's a difference between anti-mask and anti-science. (See those idiot protesters)

And not making it mandatory. Most businesses and schools will follow guidelines set by health authorities of each region. 

I went to DVC for the first time in 8 months. Masks are mandatory there. There is social distancing. I asked did they require us to wear gloves? They said not at this time.

If I felt safer wearing gloves it was fine by them. 

I also had to sign a waiver above and beyond the waiver for using the range. 

I don't call DVC "Anti-glove" and go on a rampage and say they aren't doing their best. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1

On 10/19/2020 at 10:58 PM, luckylager said:

See deb, that's the whole reason I wear a mask and don't cough on people.

I might not be old, but I'm not new and I definitely don't wanna go around killing people with my spittle.

Do you have a Canucks mask yet?

I do not have a Canucks mask yet.   My son was supposed to order me one but I'm not complaining that he forgot because he got me a Petey jersey instead.  Trade off.

On 10/20/2020 at 4:48 AM, swizzey said:

The mortality rate for those age 70+ with influenza shows a similar mortality rate. 90% of influenza deaths are over the age of 70. If you are over the age of 75, you are 250 times more likely to we shut down the country every flu season?

There are flu shots.  There are no COVID shots yet.  

23 hours ago, swizzey said:

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. 

People who ARE afraid are justified in this and I am one of them.  Not for me, for the people around me who are in that age group who aren't just numbers.

23 hours ago, swizzey said:

Deaths with COVID-19 are used in most statistics and those statistics are what the media use to push fear and ratings. 

Deaths from COVID-19 has a 99.5% survival rate for those under 70 years old.

OK, quit spamming with your crap.  If you want to run around endangering people that's on you, not us.  Superman syndrome, that's what I'm calling it.

Be ignorant, be very ignorant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

nearly, is subjective. 285000 is  not nearly 300000

Well how about this then. As we speak, that 285,000 gets closer and closer to 300,000.

Also, the fact that you're treating death like it's just a number (seriously, complaining about 15,000?) is one of the most pettiest and insensible things I've seen in this thread. Honestly, if it wouldn't get me banned, I'd have a few choice words for you at this point and you'd 100% deserve them, not nearly 95% deserve them.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2