The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

18 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

if the difference between 5 and 15k thousand is huge then it is not nearly the same number.

People, you are making far too much of this rounding. A person buys a condo for about $300K. Good enough. If it actually was $285K, then rounding seems okay, probably because it take more words to say $285K than $300K.  Move along, nothing to see here.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I am so tired of people treating death here like it's below the economy. This must be where capitalism shows it's ugly head the most at the end of the day: where it puts money above people.

Don't get me wrong, I get that people need money to survive, but that's also the problem: the fact that, right now, it's either survive based on money or see loved ones pass on.

(I might take a break from this forum because I'm getting way too angry lately. People suck)

Ive said it many times during this pandemic.  The economy should never dictate public health policy.  The economy can be fixed........death is death

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

(I might take a break from this forum because I'm getting way too angry lately. SOME People suck)

I hear you Lock, but please know there are many people out there doing everything within their means to keep themselves and others around them safe. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I am so tired of people treating death here like it's below the economy. This must be where capitalism shows it's ugly head the most at the end of the day: where it puts money above people.

Don't get me wrong, I get that people need money to survive, but that's also the problem: the fact that, right now, it's either survive based on money or see loved ones pass on.

I agree with you - to an extent. 

Nobody should be considered "disposable", and by putting the economy first, that's exactly what we are doing. But you know what? Society has done this forever. We don't twin highways because it is too expensive, and people die as a result. We offer free medical care to a point, but if you aren't covered you could die. Or, if the wait time is too long you could die in the meantime. We need blood banks full to save lives, yet the government isn't interested in paying people for their blood like they do elsewhere. We could have a whole fleet of air ambulances, yet most cities don't. The economic/death balance has and always will be in play.

In addition to that, we still don't know enough about this whole scenario. What ARE the long-term effects physically? How many people are losing their savings and potentially ruining their futures when we shut down? How many are committing suicide because they've run out of money, or their mental health is taking a beating because they are out of a job (like me) or just can't handle the stress of all this?

This really isn't a black and white situation we find ourselves in, and I don't think it is realistic to be completely pro-economy OR pro-health, or even have enough information to take a properly educated concrete stance either way, for that matter.

And on that note, try not to get too emotionally vested in the debate. You don't have the answers. They don't have the answers. But what we do have is a serious scenario that is bound to cause people to develop serious (and varying) opinions. But at the end of the day, we really are all in this together, and the more we all treat each other as such, the easier it will be for us all to come out unscathed, and the less we get down about it, the better our mental health will be.

For example: Maybe masks don't make a huge difference. Maybe they do. But why not wear one to both make the 95% of others more comfortable, as well as potentially save a life?  Why not keep your 6ft distance, even if you believe it is a hoax. I personally believe religion is a hoax, yet I respect the rights of others to believe in it, and will remain polite when they come to my door.

I have never seen Canada more divided. Yet, we should be (figuratively) closer than ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, we have officially cracked the 200 mark.  203 new cases today.  Don't know what the plan is other than to just let things continue until it is officially out of control and our hospitals get overwhelmed.  I'm really shocked that officials have not done anything at all to try and slow this back down.

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

(I might take a break from this forum because I'm getting way too angry lately. People suck)

This isn’t thought out very well.  As you said you are tired.

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

Just remember that 50% are below average and 70% are idiots. They try hard but some just can’t help but suck. 

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Well, we have officially cracked the 200 mark.  203 new cases today.  Don't know what the plan is other than to just let things continue until it is officially out of control and our hospitals get overwhelmed.  I'm really shocked that officials have not done anything at all to try and slow this back down.

I am not shocked.  We have seen zero leadership in BC the last 3 months concerning covid.  BC's lack of mandatory masks  was alarming to many that recognized it would surely lead to the next wave hitting our province.  Failing to provide online options for BC students made zero sense as it kept classrooms jammed full with 30 students / no masks / no social distancing.....

Re-election was number one priority.....  getting in the election before lockdown.....  Brilliant .

Edited by kingofsurrey

42 minutes ago, samurai said:

This isn’t thought out very well.  As you said you are tired.

No. It's very well thought out. Just some people are too ignorant to understand it.

And I'm tired of thinking about it. I've considered your points on here a lot and I just....disagree with them. Completely.

Edited by The Lock

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

For example: Maybe masks don't make a huge difference. Maybe they do. But why not wear one to both make the 95% of others more comfortable, as well as potentially save a life?  Why not keep your 6ft distance, even if you believe it is a hoax. I personally believe religion is a hoax, yet I respect the rights of others to believe in it, and will remain polite when they come to my door.

Bravo.

To those that are getting more and more concerned about the economy and a potential shut down etc...

The best way to get the economy going sooner than later is everyone putting on a mask. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

the people that say that crap think they won't be in ones headed to the dirt nap. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

No. It's very well thought out. Just some people are too ignorant to understand it.

And I'm tired of thinking about it. I've considered your points on here a lot and I just....disagree with them. Completely.

Is it really?  The first problem with your 'thought' is you present an obvious false dichotomy.  

As for disagreeing with my points I somehow doubt you could articulate them correctly.   To help you though I would say that I agree strongly with the approach advocated by Dr. Henry. 

Glad as a person who just graduated from university that you 'get' that people need to work to survive.  This basic reality pre-dates capitalism by the way  - how old is modern man/woman - 200,000 years old?  

It was reported in the US this week that 8,000,000 people fell into poverty the past few months.   So your false dichotomy of survive based on money or see loved ones die doesn't make sense at all for a lot of people.   They are probably sick of people too.   

12 minutes ago, samurai said:

Is it really?  The first problem with your 'thought' is you present an obvious false dichotomy.  

As for disagreeing with my points I somehow doubt you could articulate them correctly.   To help you though I would say that I agree strongly with the approach advocated by Dr. Henry. 

Glad as a person who just graduated from university that you 'get' that people need to work to survive.  This basic reality pre-dates capitalism by the way  - how old is modern man/woman - 200,000 years old?  

It was reported in the US this week that 8,000,000 people fell into poverty the past few months.   So your false dichotomy of survive based on money or see loved ones die doesn't make sense at all for a lot of people.   They are probably sick of people too.   

First of all, if I disagree with you I disagree with you. You don't need my opinion to function.

Don't start using the whole "just graduated from university" mantra like it's some form of leverage as if all educated people should think like you do. That's just egotistical at best, especially when you start throwing in words like "false dichotomy" in the mix. It doesn't matter what the human history is. I don't have to agree with it nor do I have to agree with you.

Anyway, I don't want to have a conversation with you right now. I'm glad at least you agree with some of the things going on, but having conversations like this, this week has pulled me into a significant depression. I'm not saying that to be like "oh woe is me". I'm giving the honest to god truth. Stop. Please.

Edited by The Lock

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

Well how about this then. As we speak, that 285,000 gets closer and closer to 300,000.

Also, the fact that you're treating death like it's just a number (seriously, complaining about 15,000?) is one of the most pettiest and insensible things I've seen in this thread. Honestly, if it wouldn't get me banned, I'd have a few choice words for you at this point and you'd 100% deserve them, not nearly 95% deserve them.

I'm sorry, i really am. People that are arguing with me cant see what im actually referring to. Im the one trying to show that 15k deaths is not something to exaggerate.

the only thing people can do is outright lie to make me look bad, its actually sad, really that  all of you are ok with nearly 15k deaths being over reported.

so once again i will state my point of view.

we shouldnt be over exagerating 15k deaths, that scares people for no reason other than shock value. it is misleading and dishonest.

your turning my POV into a math argument and its sad and disturbing

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wloutet said:

People, you are making far too much of this rounding. A person buys a condo for about $300K. Good enough. If it actually was $285K, then rounding seems okay, probably because it take more words to say $285K than $300K.  Move along, nothing to see here.

the next time you go to the store and your grocery bill is rounded up from 285 to 300. becasuse its easier to say 300? you ok with that too?

20 minutes ago, The Lock said:

First of all, if I disagree with you I disagree with you. You don't need my opinion to function.

Don't start using the whole "just graduated from university" mantra like it's some form of leverage as if all educated people should think like you do. That's just egotistical at best, especially when you start throwing in words like "false dichotomy" in the mix. It doesn't matter what the human history is. I don't have to agree with it nor do I have to agree with you.

Anyway, I don't want to have a conversation with you right now. I'm glad at least you agree with some of the things going on, but having conversations like this, this week has pulled me into a significant depression. I'm not saying that to be like "oh woe is me". I'm giving the honest to god truth. Stop. Please.

Well, I hope you feel better soon.  Would be very wise to stay away from this forum for a while and the computer for that matter. 

2 hours ago, spur1 said:

Just remember that 50% are below average and 70% are idiots. They try hard but some just can’t help but suck. 

so is it that you would think 70% of the people suck?  This got any merit, or stats that show this? 

in my world people actually help me, im sorry that this is not the case for you.

Remember, you get more bee's with honey