The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, samurai said:

This isn’t thought out very well.  As you said you are tired.

Well, I hope you feel better soon.  Would be very wise to stay away from this forum for a while and the computer for that matter. 

Stop baiting and get on topic.   These types of responses seem more like you're enjoying getting under people's skin than actually providing anything constructive to support your argument.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2020 at 3:52 PM, DeNiro said:

I don’t ever see Dr.Henry talk about number of tests related to active cases. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/coronavirus-test-results-cases-levelling-off-bonnie-henry

“We did a record number of tests yesterday, over 10,000,” Henry told reporters. “10,899 to be exact, for the 82 positive ones that were determined. I think that’s just an incredible feat as our laboratories have been ramping up across the province.”

Henry noted the results show that BC’s positive percentage of test cases is “staying very low.”

“Today it was less than 1% of the tests that were positive,” she explained. “That tells us that we’re doing a good job of finding people and that this is a true, sort of, levelling off of our cases.”

B.C. has announced another 142 new cases of COVID-19, the result of 9,016 tests processed over the past 24 hours.  Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry delivered the update from Victoria on Thursday.

Honest question - do you even watch her updates?  She generally provides a good update with all the information and answers questions at times too.

Today's positivity rate is 1.95%

Most recent cases associated with weddings, funerals and celebrations of life.

Most here:
Fraser Health 72.8%  (positivity rate has been as high as 3% in the recent past)
VCH 20.6%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Bravo.

To those that are getting more and more concerned about the economy and a potential shut down etc...

The best way to get the economy going sooner than later is everyone putting on a mask. 

the last line of defense is always PPE, that being said it is still very important.

the best way is to get the government to mandate masks, but good on you for advocating.

controls.png

53 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I'm sorry, i really am. People that are arguing with me cant see what im actually referring to. Im the one trying to show that 15k deaths is not something to exaggerate.

the only thing people can do is outright lie to make me look bad, its actually sad, really that  all of you are ok with nearly 15k deaths being over reported.

so once again i will state my point of view.

we shouldnt be over exagerating 15k deaths, that scares people for no reason other than shock value. it is misleading and dishonest.

your turning my POV into a math argument and its sad and disturbing

All I'm going to say is this: you look at it as you want there to be less deaths (that's what it sounds like anyway). I look at it as we shouldn't be downplaying this virus and causing more deaths; therefore, 15K on a report is nothing if it saves lives.

Either way, it sucks.

Edited by The Lock

15 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/coronavirus-test-results-cases-levelling-off-bonnie-henry

Honest question - do you even watch her updates?  She generally provides a good update with all the information and answers questions at times too.

Today's positivity rate is 1.95%

Most recent cases associated with weddings, funerals and celebrations of life.

Most here:
Fraser Health 72.8%  (positivity rate has been as high as 3% in the recent past)
VCH 20.6%

No I don’t watch every one of her daily updates.

Funny that’s not what the media runs with, which was kind of my point.

The headline will be that we had a record number of cases not a record number of tests. I put the blame more on the media for the use of shock value. No one can deny that’s happening.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

All I'm going to say is this: you look at it as you want there to be less deaths (that's what it sounds like anyway). I look at it as we shouldn't be downplaying this virus and causing more deaths; therefore, 15K on a report is nothing if it saves lives.

Either way, it sucks.

can you show any evidence that over reporting saves lives? i mean you might be able to sway my opinion on the matter.

Can you explain how reporting the actual number of deaths is downplaying the situation?

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The headline will be that we had a record number of cases not a record number of tests. I put the blame more on the media for the use of shock value. No one can deny that’s happening.

I watch most days (although I'm back at work now so have missed a few).  She really is quite thorough and informative.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I watch most days (although I'm back at work now so have missed a few).  She really is quite thorough and informative.

she is.

The fact is nothing she says can stop a group of truly selfish people from going to a packed indoor wedding or some other such event. Some people have just decided they don't care what the consequences are. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

can you show any evidence that over reporting saves lives? i mean you might be able to sway my opinion on the matter.

Can you explain how reporting the actual number of deaths is downplaying the situation?

I can't show actual evidence on it as that's going to be more how one perceives it, but the theory would be that more people stay safe from it. More people staying safe saves lives.

And I didn't say anything about stating the actual number of deaths would be downplaying the situation, but I do think this whole argument is stupid to begin with. Deaths are deaths and crying spilled milk over a 5% difference misses the entire point of the article.

Edited by The Lock

11 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And I didn't say anything about stating the actual number of deaths would be downplaying the situation.

In a way, the actual number is downplaying the situation. This is because the actual number does not, yet, include  2.6% of the currently infected Americans or 4.8% of currently infected Canadians that are likely dying from covid.

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Either way, it sucks.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I can't show actual evidence on it as that's going to be more how one perceives it, but the theory would be that more people stay safe from it. More people staying safe saves lives.

And I didn't say anything about stating the actual number of deaths would be downplaying the situation, but I do think this whole argument is stupid to begin with. Deaths are deaths and crying spilled milk over a 5% difference misses the entire point of the article.

well you clearly said downplaying, am i missing anything?

I could also argue (and prove) that depression and anxiety is rising due to scare tactic articles just like these. it is proven that depression and anxiety increases unemployment and suicide.

Therfore its proven that this type of article causes more deaths. I would rather go with the facts then your "expert" hypothesis that overstating saves lives. 

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

well you clearly said downplaying, am i missing anything?

I could also argue (and prove) that depression and anxiety is rising due to scare tactic articles just like these. it is proven that depression and anxiety increases unemployment and suicide.

Therfore its proven that this type of article causes more deaths. I would rather go with the facts then your "expert" hypothesis that overstating saves lives. 

Keep in mind, I'm not fully thinking straight tonight either. I've meditated a bit, so I'm better than earlier, but I'm still not with it.

37 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

she is.

The fact is nothing she says can stop a group of truly selfish people from going to a packed indoor wedding or some other such event. Some people have just decided they don't care what the consequences are. 

When i go in stores that post masks required... and i see 75% compliance.

It makes me wonder what is wrong with people.   Would gov. mandatory mask law raised the rates of mask use ?

2 hours ago, gurn said:

In a way, the actual number is downplaying the situation. This is because the actual number does not, yet, include  2.6% of the currently infected Americans or 4.8% of currently infected Canadians that are likely dying from covid.

go away with your made up statistics, canada does not infect 4.8% of the population every day. america does not infect 2.6% of the population everyday.

current total infected of canada 200,000 

canada's population 37,590,000

37,590,000/200,00= 0.05%  or half of 1%

saying that the article doesnt include any of the infected is ludicrous.

and stating that people are likely dying is disingenous.

Edited by Petey_BOI
added the word total

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

When i go in stores that post masks required... and i see 75% compliance.

It makes me wonder what is wrong with people.   Would gov. mandatory mask law raised the rates of mask use ?

i live in edmonton, where its mandatory to wear masks. there was a giant leap of people wearing masks. although some stores still do not enforce it, and non maskers flock to these stores.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

go away with your made up statistics,

http://www.covid-19canada.com/

canada does not infect 4.8% of the population every day. america does not infect 2.6% of the population everyday.

Where do you think I said that?

current infected of canada 200,000 

No, that is confirmed cases, the current cases are 22,614 in Canada and 2,755,294 in the U.S

saying that the article doesnt include any of the infected is ludicrous.

Where do you think I said that?

and stating that people are likely dying is disingenous.

Currently, 4.8% of the people in Canada who have been confirmed covid cases die. That percentage is 2.6% in the States

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Wow, look how far we’ve come! Better late than never I guess.