The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 hours ago, swizzey said:

I actually haven’t been told information regarding this. Can you please elaborate? Depending on the severity of that point could adjust my position on this. 

3 hours ago, spur1 said:

They have been reporting that for every Covid death there are 10 cases with long term health problems including heart and lung damage. 

From earlier in the thread, page 990- for the newcomers:

Reminder that it's not just the deaths...

4b04cf9.jpg

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:
Place of death All Deaths involving COVID-19 (U07.1)1 Deaths from All Causes Deaths involving Pneumonia, with or without COVID-19, excluding Influenza deaths
(J12.0–J18.9)2
Deaths involving COVID-19 and Pneumonia, excluding Influenza
(U07.1 and J12.0–J18.9)2
All Deaths involving Influenza, with or without COVID-19 or Pneumonia
(J09–J11)3
Total 203,043 2,203,637 207,687 92,095 6,722

•  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-excess-deaths/2020/10/20/1e1d77c6-12e1-11eb-ba42-ec6a580836ed_story.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/the-coronavirus-pandemic-has-caused-nearly-300000-more-deaths-than-expected-in-a-typical-year/ar-BB1ad6lv?li=BBnb7Kz

nothing to be paranoid about. both articles state that 300K people died to corona in the title, then 285k in the body and then finally lower itsays 1/3 were caused by other means. so if you can follow along with me, it's misleading at best and most certainly poorly written. now who has to lose and gain from this news, there is an election coming up right?

"both articles state that 300K people died to corona in the title"

Absolutely false. Both headlines say "nearly".

• Thanks 1

Canadian federal government has to push back at misinformation:

Alternate title- 'Damn some people are stupid"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/federal-government-pushes-back-at-online-internment-disinformation-targeting-health-canada/ar-BB1adGZx?ocid=msedgdhp

"

Canadians will not be forced into COVID-19 internment or containment camps, a spokesperson for Health Minister Patty Hajdu said Tuesday — taking aim at a disinformation campaign that has been circulating on social media for weeks.

The claim that the federal government is preparing to forcibly intern Canadians is patently false, the spokesperson said.

The federal government has announced funding for voluntary quarantine sites for some of the country's homeless and has made plans to expand self-isolation capacity for returning international travellers without suitable places to go, but Canadians will not be compelled to leave their homes for so-called COVID "camps."

"The answer is no, we're not building containment or internment camps," the spokesperson told CBC News.

"Disinformation like this is intended to deceive Canadians and cause fear and confusion. We encourage Canadians to double-check sources before sharing to avoid spreading disinformation."

Independent Ontario MPP Randy Hillier, a vocal anti-masker who has likened the current pandemic to a bad flu season, has been warning his eastern Ontario constituents that the federal government is preparing to establish these "camps" for COVID patients.

In a recent exchange at Queen's Park, Hillier pressed the provincial Progressive Conservative government to detail what it knows about Ottawa's supposed plan to detain people.

"I ask this government if people should prepare for internment camps," Hillier asked during question period on Oct. 7.

"Your government must be in negotiations and aware of these plans to potentially detain and isolate citizens and residents of our country and our province," Hillier said in the provincial legislature on Oct. 9.

"Where will these camps be built, how many people will be detained, and for what reason, for what reasons can people be kept in these isolation camps?"

Randy Hillier sitting at a desk in front of a curtain: Randy Hillier, MPP for Lanark-Frontenac-Kingston, speaks to reporters from Queen's Park.© Mike Crawley/CBC Randy Hillier, MPP for Lanark-Frontenac-Kingston, speaks to reporters from Queen's Park.

In a subsequent email to his online followers, Hillier said "the expansion of isolation/quarantine camps in Canada is something of concern."

Clips from Hillier's speech were circulated on websites like Brighteon, a source that has been banned from platforms like Facebook because it pushes conspiracy theories. A meme was created comparing theoretical quarantine sites to Nazi Germany's concentration camps during the Second World War.

"Why are FEMA type camps going into every province in Canada," one site administrator said in posting the video to Brighteon, citing a U.S. agency that responds to disasters. "When this was asked in Parliament recently, the whistleblower was cut off."

Hillier's comments about these sites were reported by outlets like Life Site News, an anti-abortion website run by the Campaign for Life coalition.

Kingston, Ont. public health officials have expressed concerns about Hillier's past comments downplaying the threat of the virus. Hillier was suspended from the Ontario PC caucus in 2019 for allegedly mocking the parents of autistic children.

CBC News has received dozens of emails from people who fear that the federal government might soon force them into camps as COVID-19 continues to spread.

"I heard there were FEMA camps across the province," one person wrote to CBC — again using the name of a U.S. federal department. "Did you order tear gas and guillotines?"

(The Department of National Defence is looking to buy tear gas for a Saskatchewan-based facility — exclusively for training purposes.)

"They brought up the internment camps in the Ontario legislature ... for the first time in my life I am afraid of my government. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I would be asking this question in Canada," another email said.

"Mr. Prime Minister are you preparing to put us in internment camps?" asked another. "Will these internment camps also be used to persecute & jail Christians and other undesirables?"

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday that he had to personally reassure a young woman during a recent virtual meeting that his government will not remove people from their homes to put them in containment facilities. He said he told her that she should turn to public health officials for accurate information on the pandemic.

"I had to explain that as we consume increasing amounts and various sources of information, online and around us, we need to continue to be attentive to source," Trudeau said.

WATCH: Trudeau is asked about COVID-19 disinformation

Trudeau said nefarious foreign actors and Canadians with an "extremist agenda" are bent on "weakening people's confidence in our institutions and our democracy" by pushing bogus theories online without evidence.

"There is a tremendous amount of noise and and harmful misinformation about on the internet ... we need to hold together and resist people who would sow chaos within our communities and our democracy," he said.

NDP MP Charlie Angus also has said he has been "inundated" by messages from people concerned about the possibility of being put in mandatory camps as hundreds of Canadians continue to contract the novel coronavirus.

"I want to say simply that there are no secretive internment camps being built," Angus said in a letter to his constituents.

"Government is not preparing to take people away or to impose some dark vaccine agenda."

The genesis of this disinformation campaign was Hajdu's announcement in September that the federal government would offer funds to the city of Toronto to help it retrofit a facility to house homeless people infected with COVID-19.

The site also could be used by other vulnerable people who do not have ready access to a safe place to self-isolate while they convalesce.

"As we work together to keep COVID-19 under control, this new site will help those for whom it's simply not possible to limit close contacts and self-isolate effectively at home," Hajdu said at the announcement alongside John Tory, Toronto's mayor.

No one will be required to go to such an isolation site, Health Canada confirmed Tuesday.

In addition to such voluntary sites for vulnerable people, the federal government has a mandatory quarantine policy in place for most returning international travellers.

Canadians must isolate for 14 days after returning from abroad in a place where they can be largely alone (the government says travellers should not quarantine in a "communal living setting," in a household with large families or many people, or in a small, shared apartment.)

Like public health agencies in Australia and India, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has set up quarantine sites across the country to accommodate international travellers who don't have access to safe places to quarantine.

There are now such facilities in nine Canadian cities — most them hotels — with the capacity to lodge up to 1,600 travellers.

"These designated quarantine sites were established to accommodate travellers who did not have suitable isolation/quarantine plans, as well as those being repatriated at the onset of the pandemic," a Health Canada spokesperson said.

A recent Public Health Agency of Canada request for information (RFI) — indicating that the agency may soon launch a procurement drive to acquire more lodging to house Canadians who need to quarantine after travel — has further fuelled online speculation that Canadians will be required to leave their homes.

The Health Canada spokesperson said that by soliciting other potential providers of quarantine sites, the government is taking a "proactive" approach because there may be a greater need for quarantine space with the "eventual easing of travel restrictions and increases in traveller volumes."

Rather than manage all possible future quarantine sites, the agency is seeking information from would-be third party bidders who could fulfil such a contract. Some of the possible new locations, such as Fort Erie, Ont. and Niagara, Ont., are near U.S. land border crossings.

"The government of Canada is currently managing federal quarantine sites and the associated service contracts. Alternative options are being explored to remain flexible in adjusting to quarantine needs going forward," a spokesperson for Health Canada said.

Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's chief public health officer, said combating false information spread by some elected officials and bogus news sites has made the work of health officials even more difficult.

WATCH: Dr. Theresa Tam is asked about bogus COVID-19 claims

"Information is spread faster than the virus itself," she said. "So be media smart as well as science smart, if you like. Yes, everyone is an armchair epidemiologist and everyone should actually be media smart at this point in time."

55 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I agree that a shutdown of the economy sucks. That being said, if people stopped &^@#ing around with their huge crowds, we wouldn't even have to consider this option.

Agreed Dazle, but the elephant in the room is BC's public education sector.  I don't care what Dr. B says - having full-time enrollment in our school system is a HUGE risk to take with the onset of the second wave.  There are no public gatherings that even compare to the scale that is the public education system operating at full capacity (or close to it) on a daily basis in this province.  On top of that, there are well documented and legitimate concerns about how forthright the health authorities/government have been regarding exposures/transmissions at schools all across the province.  From day 1 it's been a completely hypocritical stance for the government to take to ban/discourage large public gatherings yet endorse full-time enrollment in schools.  I'm not saying I don't understand why they took this stance (economy/child-care) - I'm just saying it's a completely contradictory view point imo and increases the exposure levels across the province exponentially.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:
Place of death All Deaths involving COVID-19 (U07.1)1 Deaths from All Causes Deaths involving Pneumonia, with or without COVID-19, excluding Influenza deaths
(J12.0–J18.9)2
Deaths involving COVID-19 and Pneumonia, excluding Influenza
(U07.1 and J12.0–J18.9)2
All Deaths involving Influenza, with or without COVID-19 or Pneumonia
(J09–J11)3
Total 203,043 2,203,637 207,687 92,095 6,722

•  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-excess-deaths/2020/10/20/1e1d77c6-12e1-11eb-ba42-ec6a580836ed_story.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/the-coronavirus-pandemic-has-caused-nearly-300000-more-deaths-than-expected-in-a-typical-year/ar-BB1ad6lv?li=BBnb7Kz

nothing to be paranoid about. both articles state that 300K people died to corona in the title, then 285k in the body and then finally lower itsays 1/3 were caused by other means. so if you can follow along with me, it's misleading at best and most certainly poorly written. now who has to lose and gain from this news, there is an election coming up right?

You're reading the numbers wrong and jumping to the most illogical conclusion.  At days end 200,000+ Americans dead of covid.  tens of thousands more from covid related issues.  That is still over 200,000+ dead americans due to covid.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

4b04cf9.jpg

ok, but that wasnt my point. my point was that it was misleading, which it is. 285k is not nearly 300k. when you buy 2 of the exact same house for 285k and 300k, someone got ripped off. who throws around 15k deaths, like it's nearly the same thing

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

ok, but that wasnt my point. my point was that it was misleading, which it is. 285k is not nearly 300k. when you buy 2 of the exact same house for 285k and 300k, someone got ripped off. who throws around 15k deaths, like it's nearly the same thing

they cover that 15k deaths in two weeks

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

285k is not nearly 300k.

285 is 95% of 300.   That is nearly in my books. And you are the poster that stated it was "300" in the headline. So you are now wrong twice.

Edited by gurn
  • Like 1

I would just like to see both  Dr. B and Horgan become more Pro Mask........   

Current science needs to be looked at and more closely  followed. 

What is happening right now in BC stores and businesses  ( people not wearing masks ) would never be allowed in most of Canada. 

13 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Are you for real? It is accurate to say 285,000 is nearly 300,000. I don't know why you're nitpicking about this. Does it matter that 15,000 need to die in order for you to be satisfied with such semantics?

Also gurn used math to compare it. 95 percent lol. @Petey_BOI I really don't understand why you took this position. It's so stupid really.

Edited by Dazzle

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're reading the numbers wrong and jumping to the most illogical conclusion.  At days end 200,000+ Americans dead of covid.  tens of thousands more from covid related issues.  That is still over 200,000+ dead americans due to covid.

my head is not in the sand, but try to make me believe that tens of thousands of those people chose not to seek medical help because they were scared. 

1 hour ago, gurn said:

4b04cf9.jpg

I get what they’re trying to do with the shock value but these numbers are completely ridiculous.

They’re projecting that if every single person in the US got coronavirus that around 20% of the population would have permanent heart damage. There is absolutely no credible data to back that up.

We need to stop spreading misinformation from people who are not credible epidemiologists. All it does is create panic based off nothing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I get what they’re trying to do with the shock value but these numbers are completely ridiculous.

They’re projecting that if every single person in the US got coronavirus that around 20% of the population would have permanent heart damage. There is absolutely no credible data to back that up.

We need to stop spreading misinformation from people who are not credible epidemiologists. All it does is create panic based off nothing.

I'm sorry, is this the thread I'm not supposed to believe everything I read on the web or is that some other thread?

But seriously I'd like to see better reporting on the lingering illnesses, than has been posted here.

At this point those numbers are all I've found, anyone got any better?

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Are you for real? It is accurate to say 285,000 is nearly 300,000. I don't know why you're nitpicking about this. Does it matter that 15,000 need to die in order for you to be satisfied with such semantics?

so you go so far as to think i want those people dead? why do you even care that i think it's misleading? 15k people in the world matters, and thats why i care.

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'm sorry, is this the thread I'm not supposed to believe everything I read on the web or is that some other thread?

But seriously I'd like to see better reporting on the lingering illnesses, than has been posted here.

At this point those numbers are all I've found, anyone got any better?

Agreed. Not blaming you I think it’s a problem that all of us as a society are facing.

This virus seems to be either politicized or used to make headlines too often right now.

Take today for example, CBC reporting record cases in both Alberta and Saskatchewan, yet nowhere in their article do they mention what percentage that is of people tested.

Thats just lazy journalism, and it works to get people to click on their articles. It’s absolutely disgusting though. I don’t ever see Dr.Henry talk about number of tests related to active cases. 

It’s become way too easy to skew that data in order to create a response.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

so you go so far as to think i want those people dead? why do you even care that i think it's misleading? 15k people in the world matters, and thats why i care.

Apparently you care more about the rounding of the matter. 285/300 = 95 percent. That's the math.

The article didn't say that 285,000 IS 300,000. But it is justified to say it is nearly 300,000. Think of it this way. Is 95/100 nearly 100? I'm not sure why you wouldn't say it's not 'nearly' 100 because it is.

Edited by Dazzle

18 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

my head is not in the sand, but try to make me believe that tens of thousands of those people chose not to seek medical help because they were scared. 

Maybe a lot of those people don't have health care, it is the U.S. after all. No money, no health care?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gurn said:

285 is 95% of 300.   That is nearly in my books. And you are the poster that stated it was "300" in the headline. So you are now wrong twice.

the difference between 15 and 15000k people is huge. and look in the post it definitely says 300000. why are you even fighting me on this, i dont like that they rounded up.

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Apparently you care more about the rounding of the matter. 285/300 = 95 percent. That's the math.

The article didn't say that 285,000 IS 300,000. But it is justified to say it is nearly 300,000. Think of it this way. Is 95/100 nearly 100? I'm not sure why you wouldn't say it's not 'nearly' 100 because it is.

listen, i really dont care that in your words 285k and 300k is close. when the news always over exagerates numbers they are doing it for a reason.if you had a choice to be 5% less hungry, less scared, less lonely you will always choose that. im not ok with the news always making it seem worse, we deserve better.