The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Now that the BC election is over.  Hoping Horgan and Dr. B can do the right thing......

The average daily COVID-19 case count per 100,000 people in the Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health regions is higher than a limit set to allow a general return to in-class learning in Washington State.

https://theprovince.com/news/covid-19-b-c-case-count-higher-than-in-school-learning-threshold-for-washington-state/wcm/0e91f2e4-0808-4d24-8b7b-be487b01c3fa

Don't think the headline is correct, the article indicates the case count in BC is lower than the threshold for Washington State in class learning.  

What would you like to see the government or Public Health do?  I'm worried about the rising case counts, I'm not sure if there is any real solution out there given that the case count is rising across the world.  It doesn't seem like there is any country that has this pandemic figured out.   Thankfully the hospitalization numbers aren't rising as fast as the overall infection rate, but that may be a lagging indicator.  

Are mandatory masks the answer?  It would seem not since AB has made them mandatory in certain municipalities and yet their case counts are significantly higher than ours.  A total shutdown again may be the only answer, but not sure we can go back to that.  People are whining and protesting about having to wear masks which is the easiest damn thing in the world in terms of potential solutions.  I can't imagine what would happen if we went back to an almost complete shutdown.  

KOS I hope your Mom is doing ok and you're able to keep her safe.  

1 hour ago, skategal said:

Don't think the headline is correct, the article indicates the case count in BC is lower than the threshold for Washington State in class learning.  

What would you like to see the government or Public Health do?  I'm worried about the rising case counts, I'm not sure if there is any real solution out there given that the case count is rising across the world.  It doesn't seem like there is any country that has this pandemic figured out.   Thankfully the hospitalization numbers aren't rising as fast as the overall infection rate, but that may be a lagging indicator.  

Are mandatory masks the answer?  It would seem not since AB has made them mandatory in certain municipalities and yet their case counts are significantly higher than ours.  A total shutdown again may be the only answer, but not sure we can go back to that.  People are whining and protesting about having to wear masks which is the easiest damn thing in the world in terms of potential solutions.  I can't imagine what would happen if we went back to an almost complete shutdown.  

KOS I hope your Mom is doing ok and you're able to keep her safe.  

Yes, i think mandatory masks are part of any plan to limit covid in our communities. 

During a pandemic , our government needs to err on the side of caution.... Better off being too strict than too lenient.....

Thanks for the positive thoughts on my mom.   We all need to help the older folks in our families...  they are the ones at the most risk.  This virus is not going anywhere for a while...... and we need to live life differently the next few years.   A mask in stores is really not a big deal if it saves the lives of people in our community. 

PS - my relatives back east live in a Red zone.   All restaurants closed.  No one allowed to visit you at your place unless they share your address.

This is where BC is heading.  I don't want this as my christmas. 

Horgan needs to stop playing politics .... make masks mandatory.  Follow Science and don't follow Trump logic. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

On 10/23/2020 at 10:45 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Shutdown in BC is inevitable.  The tsunami of covid will hit BC like the rest of the world.

Right now BC is keeping our numbers low by not doing very much testing. Covid is here in BC like the rest of Canada...  BC simply is not testing to keep our numbers low.

This will work for a NDP re-election.

Site c has major seismic issues.  Right now the Hydro reports will not be released for a month - thus the expediated BC election before the bad news is announced.

:frantic:

New outbreak of COVID-19 in China, 137 cases in the far northwest

Mon 26 Oct 2020 01:18:12 GMT

In Kashgar, Xinjiang province, 137 new infections 

• Mass testing began Saturday evening 
  • There are 4.75 million residents in the area
  • The new cases are being reported as all asymptomatic
  • linked to a factory the Xinjiang health commission told a press briefing Sunday

US coronavirus - El Paso Texas hospitals filling to capacity

Mon 26 Oct 2020 03:39:35 GMT

A 10pm - 5am curfew has been imposed in the county to limit movement

• An alternate care site to be established 
  • El Paso County Judge Ricardo Samaniego: "We are at a crisis stage" 

13 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh geez, best of luck to you.  Strange times for sure....

Thanks Deb.  Test came back (negative, thankfully)  in 9 hours!  Not sure if it's because I'm in a relatively low population area (Sunshine Coast) but definitely wasn't expecting that fast of a result.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/COVID_sitrep/BC_COVID_19_Situation_Report_Oct_23_2020.pdf

Interesting read about our situation in BC.  10 page report that gets updated weekly on all the demographic info one might want regarding COVID in BC.  I think I find it slightly comforting?  At least I'm not more concerned after reading through it.  

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, skategal said:

817 new cases over the weekend.  WTF is it about gathering in groups that people don't understand!!!!!  Limitation today of gathering of people in your household plus your "safe six", might be still too many.  

You mean like schools? 

3 minutes ago, skategal said:

No, I mean weddings, home parties, funerals, celebrations of life where COVID has been spreading rapidly.  

Not to mention schools. 1 shutdown already and I hate to agree with Kos but more will follow. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Not to mention schools. 1 shutdown already and I hate to agree with Kos but more will follow. 

For as many kids as we have in schools, actual infections have been pretty low.  I'm not nearly as concerned about that as I am about people being stupid and risking significant transmission on events that are totally unnecessary.  I am in the camp that believes that in class learning is necessary based on educators that I have talked to, parents that I have talked to and what I've read and researched about the risks to kids of not being in school.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, skategal said:

For as many kids as we have in schools, actual infections have been pretty low.  I'm not nearly as concerned about that as I am about people being stupid and risking significant transmission on events that are totally unnecessary.  I am in the camp that believes that in class learning is necessary based on educators that I have talked to, parents that I have talked to and what I've read and researched about the risks to kids of not being in school.  

I agree that class time is needed but under the circumstances it should be less in order to cut the numbers in class at one time. 
As a side note...is home school hurting children because of lack of class time?

Edited by spur1
Additional
  • Cheers 1

My understanding from talking to educators and some reading is that sadly there are some kids who need the safety of being in school because they don't have safety at home.  Some kids 'connect' with a teacher or education professional and are able to learn in spite of home challenges.  There are also the issues of access to technology for at home learning, lack of parental support for at home learning which are also issues, plus the absence or reduction in contacts with other kids.  

There are some amazing education professionals who work desperately hard to keep kids coming to school, kids who could fall through the cracks without that ongoing support.  

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

My understanding from talking to educators and some reading is that sadly there are some kids who need the safety of being in school because they don't have safety at home.  Some kids 'connect' with a teacher or education professional and are able to learn in spite of home challenges.  There are also the issues of access to technology for at home learning, lack of parental support for at home learning which are also issues, plus the absence or reduction in contacts with other kids.  

There are some amazing education professionals who work desperately hard to keep kids coming to school, kids who could fall through the cracks without that ongoing support.  

By not providing / enforcing teachers. / students  - MASKS, Social distancing, hand wash stations, Plastic Barriers, reduced students per room.....    DR. B and Horgan have demonstrated that they are anti CURRENT science.   This policy may now very well put BC back in lockdown just in time for Christmas.   My relatives are in Red code  / Zone city back east and let me tell you if is devasting on adults and kids. 

Our BC gov should be erring on the side of caution... not using BC teachers / students in some kind of lab experiment....

Oh well, Horgan paid us all 1000.00 to re - elect him ... so. he is good now for 4 years. 

The parents and teachers i have talked to are horrified with BC 's back to school plan, but of course i live in the lower mainland. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

September 10 

178 infected under 10

354 infected age 10-19

October 17

444 infected under 10

789 infected age 10-19

Over a 100% increase for both school-age groups, infecting in 6 weeks what it took 7 months to do before. And this doesn’t include the 800+ infections from this weekend. 

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data

13 minutes ago, GSP* said:

September 10 

178 infected under 10

354 infected age 10-19

October 17

444 infected under 10

789 infected age 10-19

Over a 100% increase for both school-age groups, infecting in 6 weeks what it took 7 months to do before. And this doesn’t include the 800+ infections from this weekend. 

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data

Careful ... NDP  diehards don't want to read any facts / science about this virus.....   anti science types just want to have believe its going to go away on its own.....

BC voters can use their 1000 NDP  bucks to load up on smokes, booze and toilet paper ......

Edited by kingofsurrey