The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

36 minutes ago, spur1 said:

I was just reading that the Toronto District School Board’s are missing 5500 students from last year causing their funding to be cut by 42 million. They are funded per student the same as BC. 
It makes me wonder if that’s the real reason why educators are pushing to have kids in class. 

Obviously...she's all a scam.

Covid is real. Everything else is all about money.

School  conditions in Holland and BC  -   Both are going for Herd Immunity...

In high schools:

No social distancing between pupils

Masks advised (but not worn) only in corridors not in classes

No plastic barriers being used in class - only secretarys / office get them. 

Only notified about an infection if you sat at the same desk for longer than 15mins - so no idea who is infected or when

Full classes

Poor ventilation

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

It makes me wonder if that’s the real reason why educators are pushing to have kids in class. 

Be careful who you lump in with 'educators' as I don't know a single teacher that has 'pushed' to have kids in class, but I do know of several administrators and superintendents who have done that so it's definitely not all educators.  In fact, I believe the BCTF - who are all educators - who lobbied for students NOT to resume full-time classes in the fall, they would have preferred a different model altogether.   

Also, it wasn't 'educators' who decided that full-time attendance would be the model when school resumed in Sept, that was done by the Provincial Health Office and the Ministry of Education - neither of which government departments are led by 'educators'. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, spur1 said:

I was just reading that the Toronto District School Board’s are missing 5500 students from last year causing their funding to be cut by 42 million. They are funded per student the same as BC. 

administrators are pushing for it, not educators

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Why do they have to police it at all? Just simply follow the guidelines. Stay home for the most part. Limit social engagements to a select few and even then make the frequency low. Wear a mask in indoor places where you can't safely distance.

Are people that dependent on needing someone else to interpret the guidelines for them? They are in simple English. If you aren't sure, err on the side of caution. 

Instead people are taking liberties and more people are catching it - surprise, surprise.

I'm willing to play ball with whatever the health authorities say. I don't have blind faith though and I have my doubts on the efficacy of mask but i'm willing to try because I don't want Covid much like I don't want the regular flu either and if a mask only reduces my risk of contracting it by like 5%, i'm willing to take that 5% protection. So until there is a level of control over the spread, everyone has to get on board or it's a wasted effort.

really, it's more about who you might pass it to than it is about protecting your own health.  I'm sick of anti-mask people trotting about their BS disinformation to try and justify the fact they simply don't want any compromise to their lifestyle.  I'd have far more respect for them if they just pulled back the veil and admitted they couldn't care less if people die because they can't uffer any inconvenience.  They should just own being selfish aholes

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

administrators are pushing for it, not educators

Administrators are not either.  A mandate was handed down the food chain and the administrators are the ones that need to execute the mandate.  BCPVPA were clearly against this from the beginning... So was the BCSSA, BCSTA, and BCASBO.

• Vintage 1

France said to be considering a month-long coronavirus national lockdown

Tue 27 Oct 2020 20:31:02 GMT

The French government considering this measure as a response to their astoundingly high surging levels of COVID-19 infections. 

Report on BFM TV (French TV) via Bloomberg. Saying the lockdown would be not as restrictive as the first one, more flexible.  

If so, lockdown would begin Thursday (toilet roll hoarders, you know what to do)

Italy post daily record of 21,994 new coronavirus cases

Tue 27 Oct 2020 16:22:36 GMT

Trends in Europe Covid cases continue to head to the upside

Italy is posting a daily record of 21,994 new coronavirus cases.

The number of deaths rose to 221 on Tuesday. That is the 1st time more than 200 deaths registered since May 15.

Trends in Europe Covid cases continue to head to the upside_The The good news is the death toll is not running with the case count.  Remember when Italy was one of the initial hotspots in March. At that time, the case count peaked around 6-7K. The death count reached a peak of 921.  At 221, the death count is higher but well off the highs.  Needless to say, doctors have a better handle on treatment and the demographics are skewing more to the young which is helping the numbers as well.   Can the "good" last? That is the question. 

Deaths in Italy

The UK reports 22,885 new coronavirus cases vs. 20,890 yesterday

Tue 27 Oct 2020 16:04:59 GMT

Covid statistics from the UK

The UK Covid statistics are being released with increases in both the case count and the death count for the day:
  • cases rise to 22,885 from 20,890 previously
  • deaths rise to 367 vs. 102 previously

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The French government considering this measure as a response to their astoundingly high surging levels of COVID-19 infections. 

Report on BFM TV (French TV) via Bloomberg. Saying the lockdown would be not as restrictive as the first one, more flexible.  

If so, lockdown would begin Thursday (toilet roll hoarders, you know what to do)

The number of deaths rose to 221 on Tuesday. That is the 1st time more than 200 deaths registered since May 15.

Trends in Europe Covid cases continue to head to the upside_The The good news is the death toll is not running with the case count.  Remember when Italy was one of the initial hotspots in March. At that time, the case count peaked around 6-7K. The death count reached a peak of 921.  At 221, the death count is higher but well off the highs.  Needless to say, doctors have a better handle on treatment and the demographics are skewing more to the young which is helping the numbers as well.   Can the "good" last? That is the question. 

good. freeze rent, freeze mortgages, all interest-free. 

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Administrators are not either.  A mandate was handed down the food chain and the administrators are the ones that need to execute the mandate.  BCPVPA were clearly against this from the beginning... So was the BCSSA, BCSTA, and BCASBO.

I agree for the most part, though I count district offices as admin and they definitely are

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Deaths in Italy

The UK reports 22,885 new coronavirus cases vs. 20,890 yesterday

Tue 27 Oct 2020 16:04:59 GMT

Covid statistics from the UK

The UK Covid statistics are being released with increases in both the case count and the death count for the day:
  • cases rise to 22,885 from 20,890 previously
  • deaths rise to 367 vs. 102 previously

The deaths will catch up, I'm sure of that.  It just takes awhile

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

The deaths will catch up, I'm sure of that.  It just takes awhile

Agree and disagree. There has been a massive improvement in treatments and therapeutics which have brought Covid mortality rates way down from March and April. You don't see Covid ripping through nursing homes the way it did in the spring.

However, if case counts are increasing exponentially then it is reasonable to assume deaths will also rise albeit at a lower pace given the better treatments. The one big caveat is hospitals being over run. Already seeing this in a few isolated places in the states. Likely going to be a brutal winter.

• Upvote 3

I was reading up on some Hayek and he got me thinking about CERB.  For starters this huge inflation in the money supply is outta do something to the CPI.  It'll be interesting to see.  

"Once the stream of new money entering the economy stops flowing and these people no longer have this newly created money to spend, they will resume spending as they did before they got the new money."  ...

"Eventually, the newly created money works its way throughout the whole economy. This new money is ultimately spread out evenly across all markets. The final result is that the overall price level—that is, the average of all prices—is higher, but all individual prices relative to each other are unchanged from what they were before the new money was injected into the economy."

Just some food for thought.