The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

25 minutes ago, skategal said:

Couple of things - need to be cautious of the terminology we use.  A friend pointed out to me that we've never been in a "lockdown" which would imply that we were not allowed to leave our homes but for essential services.  I was using that term incorrectly.  What we had in March/April was a shutdown of most services which by it's nature resulted in no where for us to go and all the time in the world to get there ^_^  Like all other aspects of how the government and the PHO have handled this pandemic, we were asked to stay at home unless we needed to be outside for exercise or grocery shopping/medical treatments.  We all complied with that as the situation was very new and scary.   Now it's not new, still scary for many of us but I guess since people aren't dropping like flies in the street some of the scariness has worn off for some people which is sad.  The infection rates are still arguably low enough that "not everyone knows someone who has died or is a long hauler" so the risks of infection are still not front and center in everyone's mind.   We as a society constantly battle the "3 square feet around me" syndrome.  Until it enters my space, it's not my problem.  Crappy attitude, but very prevalent.  

I agree with you that we will likely see some level of shut down again, not sure if it will be full blown province wide or more nuanced by region or activity.  In the spring much of the shutdown was voluntary, I suspect this time it will need to be by PHO order as business's now are at the brink of survival/collapse and there isn't enough government support available for many to survive another shutdown.  Perhaps that is natures law, survival of the fittest?  Hate to see a mom and pop operation that is someone's life work end up closing permanently due to forces beyond their control.  I care less about the chain stores and bigger operations but those closures still result in people being harmed.  Franchise owners, workers all end up out of jobs.  

I expect a pretty severe mandated lockdown of everything but essential services.  And that's not on the government, that's on the citizens.........we've been given every chance to act responsibly and we've blown it.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I expect a pretty severe mandated lockdown of everything but essential services.  And that's not on the government, that's on the citizens.........we've been given every chance to act responsibly and we've blown it.

Opening up parts of the economy   too quickly,  Party buses still running....  inviting Alberta tourists all summer, not enough online option for kids, no masks in schools, 

These are definately all on our government. 

21 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Fines? I dunno

if that worked we wouldn't have out of control house parties prior to this. The RCMP can't show up before there's a problem, and by that time the covidiots have already mingled. 

I guess maybe if the fines are in the 10s of thousands range? but I can't see it unless there's a threat of seizure of a persons home tbh. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

if that worked we wouldn't have out of control house parties prior to this. The RCMP can't show up before there's a problem, and by that time the covidiots have already mingled. 

I guess maybe if the fines are in the 10s of thousands range? but I can't see it unless there's a threat of seizure of a persons home tbh. 

Yea man I'd put in aggressive fines. Help pay for all this. I'm tired of playing by the rules only to suffer while others have fun.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

lmao here we go talking about shut downs again: punishing people who did nothing wrong meanwhile those who clearly, openly violate "restrictions" get away scot free. The government clearly looks incapable of handling this at this point. 

If people disregard the public safety, willingly, they should be punished, harshly.

You want to have a party?  It should cost you $10k, minimum

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Netherlands and Hungary announce new virus curbs

Tue 3 Nov 2020 18:05:25 GMT

Leaders to close parts of the economy

Dutch PM Rutte said national measures will be imposed tomorrow and last for two weeks, including closures of museums, public buildings and cinemas. Other measures will last until mid-December.

In Hungary, PM Orban said he will declare an emergency situation as of midnight, it will include a curfew from midnight until 6 am.

Italy to ban leaving towns in high-risk areas - draft

Tue 3 Nov 2020 16:30:09 GMT

Bloomberg report

A draft degree says Italy may ban movement in and out of high-risk virus zones. The country reported 353 deaths today, the most since May.

Germany DIVI: Increase in number of people in ICUs in the past month has been sixfold

Tue 3 Nov 2020 12:12:53 GMT

That's not a pleasant statistic to hear

• Hospitals moving away from regular operations when infection levels are high
  • Many hospital employees are working to capacity
At the start of October, there were 362 coronavirus patients needing intensive care. That figure has jumped up to 2,243 coronavirus patients as of yesterday.

The "bright spot" if you really want to consider it, is that intensive care beds still have 27% capacity i.e. 7,893 across the country and that is little changed compared to the 28% at the start of October i.e. 8,706.

However, this figure is also largely affected by deaths from the virus and other diseases, or perhaps discharges, but I would not doubt that healthcare workers will have less time to deal with their usual day-to-day when the virus infection is soaring.
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Very little COVID-19 here on Vancouver Island. Could they be rewarded by being able to open up businesses more than, say, the Fraser Health Region?

There really is no perfect approach. I am on Van Island too. Currently there are 13 active detected cases here. There are 900,000 people on Van Island.

That works out to .000014%. In statistical terms, that is irrelevant. Granted it can rise in exponential fashion. But should we be under the same economic restrictions as regions with an actual problem?

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

There really is no perfect approach. I am on Van Island too. Currently there are 13 active detected cases here. There are 900,000 people on Van Island.

That works out to .000014%. In statistical terms, that is irrelevant. Granted it can rise in exponential fashion. But should we be under the same economic restrictions as regions with an actual problem?

The only thing I wonder about with the region-by-region approach is if (for example) the island opens up, will we see people from the VCH and FHA regions going there to enjoy the enhanced freedom and spreading the virus?

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

The only thing I wonder about with the region-by-region approach is if (for example) the island opens up, will we see people from the VCH and FHA regions going there to enjoy the enhanced freedom and spreading the virus?

It's possible but Van Island has the benefit of being an island. Only 2 ways to get here. By air or by sea and neither is cheap. That's why we have done so well to this point. If there was an existing bridge to the mainland we'd be up to our necks in virus too.

• Vintage 1