The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I see it more as her tooting our horn because, as a Province, we were on board and did what it took.  At least until some started to have their own ideas and impatience grew as a factor.

She allowed to have election in the middle of pandemic. And did not allowed to have playoff hockey in Vancouver.

Somehow media created a cult around her instead of a serious analysis of what she did right and what she did wrong. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

An election involves "locals".  Who were able to vote in a number of "safe" ways.

Playoff hockey in Vancouver meant bringing people in from outside the Province.  I do agree that, according to the bubble system that the NHL promised and provided, we could have likely done it.   

Media bought into the fact that we were managing to stay afloat when many others weren't....she led the charge in that.  

Was she perfect?  No.  I'm not sure anyone was or could have been.  I don't agree with all the things that have been done but, in general, we've done pretty well considering.

There was ZERO need for a provincial election during a Pandemic.  ZERO NEED>

Using a pandemic for political gain is despicable.  

Writing a book about having Covid under control is offensive to many i wouuld think....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

There was ZERO need for a provincial election during a Pandemic.  ZERO NEED>

Using a pandemic for political gain is despicable.  

And you as well, please provide a link to a story or law/act in B.C. stating Bonnie had the legal authority to prevent a provincial election.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Can you provide a link stating she had the leagal authority to prevent an election?

I'll wait.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer

"

The responsibilities of the Provincial Health Officer (PHO) are outlined in the Public Health Act. As the senior public health official for British Columbia, the PHO:

• Provides independent advice to the Ministers and public officials on public health issues;"

She did not raise her concerns about election. Yes, there was voting by mail system, but voting stations, at least in my neighborhood were full of people on the election day.

Granted, she legally  can't call off election, but if she publicly raised her voice (independent) against it, there would be no election.

• Thanks 1

Even Premier Horgan doesn't even know the restrictions over Christmas and he says he wants to enforce it over Christmas :lol:

B.C. premier backtracks on his own Christmas plans, illustrating the confusion over health orders

"Ellie and I are planning to get together with my son and daughter-in-law," Premier John Horgan, referring to his wife, told News 1130 reporter Liza Yuzda during the traditional round of year-end interviews with media organizations.

"My daughter, I have to confess ... is anxious about that because she doesn't want to break any rules, but I checked it with my buddy and he said it was OK. So that's our plan, the four of us will eat something on Christmas day and that'll be about it."

In this case, Horgan's "buddy" was Health Minister Adrian Dix — but a day later, the premier changed his mind. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/horgan-christmas-family-plans-1.5848624

Funny if he didn't say anything to the public he probably wouldn't of had to backtrack, but his buddy originally said it was okay, and his buddy is health minister Dix wow.

6 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

And what proof do you have that she didn't advise against an election? Her job is to provide her expert opinion. How would it have looked if a well respected and trusted official publicly denounced Horgans decision to hold an election?

Plus what about some personal responsibility? I voted by mail, my whole family voted by mail. My parents aren't very computer literate so I helped them get registered. Are people so dumb that they need to be told exactly what to do by the government?

I've been wearing a mask whenever I go out since March, I didn't need the government tell me to do that. I've been avoiding immunocompromised people, I haven't attended any birthday parties or celebrations, even in the summer. It's called having some critical thinking and personal accountability.  

1." How would it have looked if a well respected and trusted official publicly denounced Horgans decision to hold an election?"- it would look as she did her job and provide an independed advise. 

2. "Are people so dumb that they need to be told exactly what to do by the government?"- in situation like that- yes, otherwise there would be no need for lock downs.

3." I've been wearing a mask whenever I go out since March"- respect, me too

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

Honestly, I am so tired of people complaining about every little thing. There wasn't a playbook for this pandemic, it's all trial and error, that's how policies and how science works. I think Dr. Henry and almost everyone else is doing the best they can. Maybe let's focus on doing better and being better instead of focusing on all the negatives.

excactly

That said, I'm not happy with how BC has handled things but it could have been worse

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

Honestly, I am so tired of people complaining about every little thing. There wasn't a playbook for this pandemic, it's all trial and error, that's how policies and how science works. I think Dr. Henry and almost everyone else is doing the best they can. Maybe let's focus on doing better and being better instead of focusing on all the negatives.

Well everyone has the right to their opinion, but I'm surprised there isn't a playbook tbh, this world dealt with a pandemic very similar to this 100 years ago, what happened to all the information they collected from it.... Did the world really not learn anything from it back then? Like nothing for the future if they have to deal with something like this again.... 

I'm more tired of the anti maskers and their agenda, people can run their mouth all they want that doesn't bother me, but when people are physically doing something that puts others in danger because of their actions, now that's something to be upset about imo.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

1." How would it have looked if a well respected and trusted official publicly denounced Horgans decision to hold an election?"- it would look as she did her job and provide an independed advise. 

2. "Are people so dumb that they need to be told exactly what to do by the government?"- in situation like that- yes, otherwise there would be no need for lock downs.

3." I've been wearing a mask whenever I go out since March"- respect, me too

1. No it would look like tampering, a civil servant shouldn't be publically disagreeing with the government. It can create a political crisis and non confidence. Look at what happened in Alberta, Dr. Hinshaws job is advise the government, clearly the leaked tapes show disagreement between her and Shandro/Kenney. But publically disagreeing with them would not serve any good.

2. Maybe because I work in healthcare my perception is skewed, I know there are plenty of idiots out there - I see it every day, people getting infected with COVID because they didn't think it was a big deal to have dinner with a couple of friends even though socializing had been actively discouraged.

3. Nice, stay safe.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

Atta boy Boris.

England was going to relax for a few days over xmas. Not anymore. With a new faster strain of coivd being confirmed over there, this is a good call.

U.K. nixes Christmas gatherings, shuts London shops over virus

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/u-k-nixes-christmas-gatherings-shuts-london-shops-over-virus-1.5238636

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

I agree, and I hope that will be one of the positives that come out of this, a plan to help deal with future pandemics.

I think we also have to remember that times are very different now, the world is a much smaller place. Back in the 1900s how often did people travel out of their city, let alone their country? Now I can fly half way across the world in hours. Also, I think the mentality has shifted over the years... Maybe it was considered more patriotic to wear a mask and think of the common good and well being. Nowadays it's about "my rights." on top of that there is so much misinformation out there that spreads so fast, and so many loud conspiracy theorists.

I guess better late then never, but still I would of thought after this world dealt with something similar a 100 years ago, that they would have a better understanding of how to deal with it a bit, but it's like they have no idea and still figuring out how to handle it. 

It's actually a little scary that the means of transportation a 100 years ago wasn't anything close to how it is now. Boats were the main and only real way to travel out of country and that virus was able to last almost 2 years by boats, now we have planes and people traveling way more than a 100 years ago. If the virus lasted 2 years a 100 years ago with only boats for traveling, million dollar question is how long will it last now with our means of transportation... My gut says it will be longer then 2 years now. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

I think we know exactly what to do.  But it gets in the way of a) business b) personal freedoms (at least in some peoples minds).  I think with business/capitalism, we as a society have let it become too big while at the same time seemingly unresilient so we don't want to rock the boat.  While with "personal freedoms", social media has let certain people galvanize and strengthen their defiance more than it normally would.

I'm sure there are many playbooks out there that would work, but it would get torn to shreds by people/governments/corporations screaming of fairness, freedom, etc.  I don't see it as a science issue but rather a psychology issue.

d928dc9afa5d97d9f2157eea3d735441.gif

The way this world operates for the economy is what's the bigger problem, it's broken and wrong, but that conversation is for another time, but that's what's influencing the problem more, it actually sucks.

Greed over People that's the system they created.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1