The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't see it as a science issue but rather a psychology issue.

Agreed.

I think a lot of families will bend the rules this Christmas. People that think they have been, for the most part, following the rules and still believe their bubbles are safe. The more restricted household guidelines may be ignored because their area has been ok, or their xmas group wont have that many more people than who they normally interact with. Faced with the seasonal stress and covid/isolation fatigue there will be quite a few that think they are close enough being into accordance but need to see those extra loved ones. Psychology as you say. The science will be somewhat ignored, if everyone bends the rules just slightly... we could be looking at coivd increases....more deaths 'by a thousand cuts'.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Everything she does is offensive to you at this point...so not sure it's a good gauge of things.

Yes, we have pages and pages of his spamming posts to let us know.

I think many would be interested in a book by the person who led us through this.  We've done much better than many places...don't lose sight of that.  We're not out of the woods by any means...but every time we need to level off so far, we have/do.  This isn't easy...for anyone.

I agree.  Where we have failed is in the number of citizens that prefer to do what they want, rather than follow the safety protocols provided.

I wouldn't want to be in her shoes...no matter how fancy.  

Yes indeed.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

38 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

d928dc9afa5d97d9f2157eea3d735441.gif

The way this world operates for the economy is what's the bigger problem, it's broken and wrong, but that conversation is for another time, but that's what's influencing the problem more, it actually sucks.

Greed over People that's the system they created.

Yes, I probably spent equal times talking about economy and personal freedoms, but the economy is the bigger barrier by far.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Agreed.

I think a lot of families will bend the rules this Christmas. People that think they have been, for the most part, following the rules and still believe their bubbles are safe. The more restricted household guidelines may be ignored because their area has been ok, or their xmas group wont have that many more people than who they normally interact with. Faced with the seasonal stress and covid/isolation fatigue there will be quite a few that think they are close enough being into accordance but need to see those extra loved ones. Psychology as you say. The science will be somewhat ignored, if everyone bends the rules just slightly... we could be looking at coivd increases....more deaths 'by a thousand cuts'.

Totally agree with you.  I've already turned down a couple of invitations to meet people in restaurants for dinner prior to Christmas, explaining that while it might be ok because I'm alone and these are people I golf with, I'm not comfortable doing it as I'm concerned about COVID spread.  I suggest the alternative of getting together in Jan/Feb once restrictions are relaxed a bit, vaccines are a bit more broadly in use so the death toll in care homes has hopefully declined.  I also know of people who while they aren't going away for Christmas they are planning to invite people outside their household bubble because the people are alone.  Not sure that's a good idea either.  It's one Christmas!  For heaven's sake, I'd far sooner give up a bit now and have all these folks and others still around for Easter.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:
Seems like Aussies epidioloigsts  is.  not impressed by what our BC government says about Covid....

Quote Tweet 

Dr Zoë Hyde  @DrZoeHyde 
· 8h
Wonder why I talk about the role of children in the pandemic a lot? It’s because the message isn’t getting through. In November, a prominent Canadian politician said, “children are not transmitters of COVID.” That is wrong and frankly horrifying to hear.

That would be a conservative MLA they are speaking of out of Ontario.  how can we manage to blame this on Bonnie Henry or the BC NDP though

Also, ironically it was an Aussie study back in May that first made that claim.  I do wonder if you ever tire of looking like Stephan did during that Oilers/Dallas game when he whiffed on that open net

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/children-may-not-be-coronavirus-super-spreaders-australian-study-1.4923748

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Silent Man said:

She allowed to have election in the middle of pandemic. And did not allowed to have playoff hockey in Vancouver.

Somehow media created a cult around her instead of a serious analysis of what she did right and what she did wrong. 

She allowed?

I know others have posted in reponse to this but I need to highlight how laughably out of reality this statement is.

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

There was ZERO need for a provincial election during a Pandemic.  ZERO NEED>

Using a pandemic for political gain is despicable.  

Writing a book about having Covid under control is offensive to many i wouuld think....

What does this have to do with Dr Henry again?

Offensive to many?  Hmmm....seems that also is not the case again

2 hours ago, Silent Man said:

2. "Are people so dumb that they need to be told exactly what to do by the government?"

3." I've been wearing a mask whenever I go out since March"- respect, me too

2.  Yes....look at any CDC covid comment section for verification

3.  Respect is earned not given.

• Cheers 1

CBC British Columbia @cbcnewsbc  · 1h
B.C. premier backtracks on his own Christmas plans, illustrating the confusion over health orders https://buff.ly/3mtlNOU

Turns out, the most powerful person in British Columbia has just as much trouble figuring out the province's COVID-19 guidelines for Christmas as the rest of us.

"Ellie and I are planning to get together with my son and daughter-in-law," Premier John Horgan, referring to his wife, told News 1130 reporter Liza Yuzda during the traditional round of year-end interviews with media organizations

4 hours ago, Silent Man said:

She allowed to have election in the middle of pandemic. And did not allowed to have playoff hockey in Vancouver.

you had the option to mail it in. Unlike the Canucks (well, OK maybe Loui). 

4 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Somehow media created a cult around her instead of a serious analysis of what she did right and what she did wrong. 

there wasn't a "cult" she just did a good job leading the response. People notice stuff like that. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:
CBC British Columbia @cbcnewsbc  · 1h
B.C. premier backtracks on his own Christmas plans, illustrating the confusion over health orders https://buff.ly/3mtlNOU

Turns out, the most powerful person in British Columbia has just as much trouble figuring out the province's COVID-19 guidelines for Christmas as the rest of us.

"Ellie and I are planning to get together with my son and daughter-in-law," Premier John Horgan, referring to his wife, told News 1130 reporter Liza Yuzda during the traditional round of year-end interviews with media organizations

....the rest of the story....

B.C. premier cancels family Christmas plans after COVID-19 rule confusion

BY LIZA YUZDA

Posted Dec 18, 2020 2:29 pm PST

John Horgan has also found himself changing his holiday plans after NEWS 1130 asked him Thursday who would be at his table this Christmas.

He initially said his son and daughter-in-law would be coming for dinner – a plan approved by Health Minister Adrian Dix.

“Ellie and I are planning to get together with my son and daughter-in-law – they’re in our bubble – we live in separate homes but they’re the only people that have been in our house and we’re the only ones that have been in their house,” Horgan told NEWS 1130.

“My daughter, I have to confess, the teacher is anxious about that because she doesn’t want to break any rules, but I checked it with my buddy and he said it was okay. So that’s our plan, the four of us will eat something on Christmas day and that’ll be about it.”

But on Friday, the premier changed his mind.

After reflecting on how his daughter-in-law feels about the situation, Horgan said his plans have been scrapped with the premier realizing it wouldn’t be right for his family or for his community.

“This is a tough time for everybody. I need to acknowledge that. We all need to acknowledge that and find the best way to gather, to connect in a way that keeps everybody safe,” he said. “I have to be accountable to myself my family and the broader community and the fact that I am a government representative doesn’t change that.”

Under current provincial health orders, British Columbians have been instructed to stick to their immediate household bubbles over the holidays. The measures are in place until Jan. 8.

Dix has repeatedly used the phrase, “When in doubt, rule it out,” during COVID-19 briefings to address uncertainty when it comes to health measures.

Despite calls for clearer rules, Horgan said the government can’t dictate what people do at home, but hopes they make similar tough choices.

“We all have to take responsibility for ourselves and the people around us and that’s what Dr. Henry is asking people to do and that’s what I am encouraging people to do as well,” Horgan said.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe go back and read what Deb posted 

BC covid restrictions have clearly been against  having non household members visiting. Horgan should know what our provinces covid regs are...

Shocking that he did not even know his own gov. rules in BC...

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC covid restrictions have clearly been against  having non household members visiting. Horgan should know what our provinces covid regs are...

Shocking that he did not even know his own gov. rules in BC...

again, take a breath, don't type, read what Deb posted 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Except there are...exceptions.

Like for me, for instance.  Someone on my own who is permitted to visit with a family member.  My Dad too.

They're trying to offer a bit of flexibility for those who are completely on their own/isolated.  Because mental health IS important.  So for those who live in a household, with others, they have "people" to share Christmas with.  Not everyone they'd like, but someone.  For those who have...no one....they're allowed to include...someone.

It's only complicated if you make it so.  He explained his reasoning...his son and daughter in law ONLY saw him and he only saw them.  So it was a small bubble and he thought that would work.  But realized...it sends the wrong message because it's not within the exceptions listed.

It's difficult enough for people ... we don't have to look for controversy on top of it all.  It gets really tiring.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-bc-update-december-7-2020-1.5831343

Pretty sure Horgan  does not live alone. He needs to understand BC's covid rules...   very surprised that he does not. 

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty sure Horgan  does not live alone. He needs to understand BC's covid rules...   very surprised that he does not. 

King - the people he was going to have diner with are in his bubble. He cancelled due to optics, not safety. 

• Cheers 1