The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

OK, so people get pissed off, then what?  Typically this results in nothing but social media complaining - it's not hindsight, it's typically what happens when governments make decisions the general public doesn't like.  The VAST majority of the time actions do not go beyond complaining.  The government knew this, but made the decision to simply 'hope' that people would comply with their suggestions which, to me anyway, just affirms to me that the majority of decision makers at that level are totally out of touch with regular society.  Call me a pessimist, but I knew from day 1 that if governments were opening the door to people to do this or that (including travel/eating out/ gyms/ect....) - they WOULD and they would do it in numbers. 

Unfortunately, in a modern western democracy everyone is forced to accommodate the slowest idiot on the society train. 

You, and many of us here, may have rightfully thought leaving the doors open at the start of the pandemic would be a bad idea, but unfortunately, many others would have been enraged over that. Look at Montreal, some of the idiots there started an anti-curfew riot.

Hong Kong has been doing great with keeping COVID cases down - guess what one of the big contributors to that is? Forcing international travellers and, I think, even residents who test positive for COVID to download a government app to track them via GPS to make sure they're actually quarantining. Imagine the personal privacy fiasco that would come out of that if that was in place in Canada. 

If you're looking for decisive, drastic measures to be taken immediately, you'd be hard-pressed to find such actions in a western democracy like ours in Canada. And that is why simply expecting the government to lockdown everything right from the get-go is an over-simplification of the decision tree cobweb the government has to navigate through on a constant basis. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

2 hours ago, stawns said:

the blood clot rates in AZ are far far far lower than on the use of birth control.  It's a non issue, imo

I think you have greater chance of being killed in a car accident than dying from blood clot caused by AZN.

• Vintage 1

Hi Canucks,

Sometimes, people forget that hockey players are people.  As a Canucks fan, with two kids who are fans, too, I just wanted to say a few words that may not often be said.  My kids and myself look up to the Canucks, because of the way they play the game.  The Canucks players represent many of the values that I try to instill in my kids: hard work, creative play, teamwork, kindness, process focus, but goal orientation, professionalism, respect everyone, sacrifice, and give to your team and community.  In the Canucks, especially their leaders (both past - thank you Sedins and Linden, Smyl, et al and present- their favorites are Bo, Peetie, and Hugsie-bear - mine are Motte and Miller), we really have a connection to you all.  Our family wishes each of you the best of health and feel sad that you have to go through recovering from the disease.  We wish for your families, health and happiness, too.  Recover quickly and you will hear us in the stands soon, I hope, but maybe for now we will hope you hear us through the TV.  You are part of our home and we thank you for how you have done so far.  Keep at it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Adam (Dad- Coach Socks), Kaiden (9), and Sam (11) Wightman - North Vancouver

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Morning prayer for my CDC fam...

The thing is, most of that footage was taken before the virus really took hold in the US.....(kind of disappointed they skipped the part where he "blows" the virus away)

Now, with over half a million Americans dead from Covid, I wonder how he's spinning this to his constituents. Luckily for him, these people are as gullible as it gets, so he'll likely pass it off as "part of God's plan" or something....:rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The thing is, most of that footage was taken before the virus really took hold in the US.....(kind of disappointed they skipped the part where he "blows" the virus away)

Now, with over half a million Americans dead from Covid, I wonder how he's spinning this to his constituents. Luckily for him, these people are as gullible as it gets, so he'll likely pass it off as "part of God's plan" or something....:rolleyes:

Yupp, Brainwashed.

And don't worry, I got you...

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Yupp, Brainwashed.

And don't worry, I got you...

it makes me sad that this guy is what millions of people seem to need in their life 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

42 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Definitely interesting how the two vaccines that don't need freezing are becoming an issue with blood clots.

Not so much the refrigeration requirement. More with the similar platform (adenovirus vector). It remains to be seen if it is also present in the Sputnik V or CanSino vaccines, which also use adenovirus vectors.  Inactivated whole virus vaccines like SinoVac haven't shown this signal. That vaccine is stored in regular fridges too. 

One speculation in terms of mechanism is release of free DNA in broken vectors, and free DNA may induce the pro clotting antibodies. This suggest that it can be dose dependent. I looked at the # of viral particles per dose: AZ 3·5–6·5 × 10exp10 viral particles per dose. Sputnik 10exp11. Janssen 5 x 10exp10. CanSino 5 x 10exp10. All similar, except Sputnik had the most per dose.   

I doubt where Sputnik or CanSino are used will be as transparent with the rare side effects. 

The rate is so rare (health canada est 4/million) that it is obviously not the only factor. There are likely cofactors in the recipient that allows this condition to develop.  It will be helpful to define the risk factors so that vaccine may be tailored to certain population and help restore public confidence. This is a manageable risk, in that it is treatable and both drs and patients are aware of it. 

Just last night, I saw CT and ultrasound orders for anxious patients who had vague symptoms after getting the JJ vaccine. All negative studies. I suspect this will be the trend going forward. 

Health Canada said NACI is meeting today to discuss if AZ will be recommended for 35+. UK is doing 30+ now. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/news/2021/04/health-canada-provides-update-on-safety-review-of-astrazeneca-and-covishield-covid-19-vaccines.html

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I'll never forget the people whose chose not to wear a mask in our condo building or in public and I am sure I am not the only one.  Selfish mofos.  Oh and Horgan go get your Astra shot, don't blow this for us.

• Vintage 1

I'm not sure if it's still recommended that the booster shot be the same manufacturer as the initial vaccine, but if that has changed, I would get the AZ without hesitation. (Initial dose was Pfizer)

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Apparently Moderna vaccine shipments have been inconsistent. Pharmacies are starting to use AZ to compensate for the delays, but there are concerns that people might walk away when they get to the clinic and find out they're getting the AZ vaccine. 

Pfizer shipments have been reliable and consistent. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan