The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The US manages its hospitals by making medical care unaffordable for a large portion of the population.  They've also done one of the worst jobs of handling this pandemic on the planet.  Let's not take the lead from them here.

I see the kids are getting impatient again. :sadno: Thank gawd these people aren't in charge of anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

Yesterday they had 2,990 deaths. divide by 8.9( population difference) and come to 335 if they were our pop level.

Canada had 148

Now try telling me about how they are doing okay down there , again?

https://www.us-covid-tracker.com/?per100k=0

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html

Of course the US will have more deaths proportionality to Canada, because the US has more larger cities where people are practically on top of each other. In Canada we have towns spread out with tons of space, less chance to pick up a viral disease. The more room you have, less chance of catching. US is still doing fine, Omnicron is not that bad, most people are all vaccinated up, time to start living life again. 

Yesterday my wife and I went in for a Covid test as our son had tested +. Saline gargle at 10:40 and we had the negative results by email 2:00 am this morning. Both of us are 2x vac + booster. My wife had not felt well or we wouldn't have done it. She now thinks she has a cold. 

As critical as I am of our healthcare system I will admit the whole process was efficient and trouble free.  

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Of course the US will have more deaths proportionality to Canada, because the US has more larger cities where people are practically on top of each other. In Canada we have towns spread out with tons of space, less chance to pick up a viral disease. The more room you have, less chance of catching. US is still doing fine, Omnicron is not that bad, most people are all vaccinated up, time to start living life again. 

Wrong, Mayor of Wrongville, wrong.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Slegr said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271208/urbanization-in-canada/

https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/geography/guidance/geo-areas/urban-rural/ua-facts.html

Canada has a slightly higher percentage of urban dwellers according to these statistics.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Rabbits. My Dad and Step mom decided to raise rabbits, had the 3 of us kids feed them and care for them; but did not tell us they were food creatures.

We kids thought of them as pets, until they were on the plate.

Haven't had rabbit since, and likely never will.

Side note, that's when the world started changing big time; if your parents will do that to you, what else is going on in their head?

Oh right- they lied about Santa, the Easter bunny and tooth fairy.

So liars, mmm what else did they lie about?

Maybe I'm not as smart as they said, or as good a kid, or................ maybe they don't actually love me and are just faking that too.

Rough few months as a kid.

I had one sister with a darker complexion than the rest of us. For years we said that we had picked her up off the side of the road. She never fell for it. We lost her 3 months ago and I think of her daily. Times were much simpler in the 50's and 60's. Yes, I believed everything Walter Cronkite said. 

True of every generation but I don't think the younger generations truly understand us Boomers. Our parents fought WW2 and lived thru the depression. Two very traumatic events and it affected how they lived their lives hugely. Because it did we were taught the results. What my parents generation had was a unity of common experience and a closeness of knowing and accepting where so many of of their neighbours were coming from. We Boomers were a very privileged group in many ways. 

In elementary school there was no question or doubt about having those vaccine shots as we all lined up. My biggest medical crisis was my best friend getting yellow jaundice and having to stay home for months. My two aunts and uncle caught the Spanish flu and it affected them all their lives. A family friend caught polio and was in a wheel chair by 38 years old. My Dad dropped dead at 50. Will my grandchildren tell their kids and grandkids about the great Covid influenza of 2020? 

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

40 minutes ago, Slegr said:

We will just ignore record hospitalizations, ICU admissions and the shutdown of other medical services.
It is all done, nothing to see here, move along. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, gurn said:

Rabbits. My Dad and Step mom decided to raise rabbits, had the 3 of us kids feed them and care for them; but did not tell us they were food creatures.

We kids thought of them as pets, until they were on the plate.

Haven't had rabbit since, and likely never will.

Side note, that's when the world started changing big time; if your parents will do that to you, what else is going on in their head?

Oh right- they lied about Santa, the Easter bunny and tooth fairy.

So liars, mmm what else did they lie about?

Maybe I'm not as smart as they said, or as good a kid, or................ maybe they don't actually love me and are just faking that too.

Rough few months as a kid.

I recall a 6 year old me on my grandparents farm having a similar moment when my grandpa said "go help your grandma get a chicken". Whack. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

We will just ignore record hospitalizations, ICU admissions and the shutdown of other medical services.
It is all done, nothing to see here, move along. 

Before this whole thing I always had serious reservations about the government and politics in general. Now I thank the lucky stars we have competent people making these decisions and not some of these unqualified yahoos that pop in here to demonstrate their ignorance.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Hana Horka: Czech singer dies after catching Covid intentionally

A folk singer from the Czech Republic has died after deliberately catching Covid, her son has told the BBC.

Hana Horka, 57, was unvaccinated and had posted on social media that she was recovering after testing positive, but died two days later.

Her son, Jan Rek, said she got infected on purpose when he and his father had the virus, so she could get a recovery pass to access certain venues.

The Czech Republic reported a record number of Covid-19 cases on Wednesday.

Mr Rek and his father, who are both fully vaccinated, both caught Covid over Christmas. But he said his mother had decided not to stay away from them, preferring instead to expose herself to the virus.

"She should have isolated for a week because we tested positive. But she was with us the whole time," he said.

Proof of vaccination or recent infection from the virus is required in the Czech Republic to gain entry to many social and cultural venues, including cinemas, bars and cafes.

His mother was a member of one of the oldest Czech folk groups, Asonance. She had wanted to catch Covid so there would be fewer restrictions on her movement, Mr Rek explained.

Two days before she died, she wrote on social media that she was recovering: "Now there will be theatre, sauna, a concert".

On Sunday morning, the day she died, Ms Horka said she was feeling better and dressed to go for a walk. But then her back started hurting, so she went to lie down in her bedroom.

"In about 10 minutes it was all over," her son said. "She choked to death".

Although she was unvaccinated, Jan Rek stressed that his mother did not believe in some of the more bizarre conspiracy theories about Covid vaccines.

"Her philosophy was that she was more OK with the idea of catching Covid than getting vaccinated. Not that we would get microchipped or anything like that," he said.

There was no point in trying to discuss the issue with her as it would just get too emotional, he added. Instead, he hoped that by telling his story he could convince others to get vaccinated.

"If you have living examples from real life, it's more powerful than just graphs and numbers. You can't really sympathize with numbers."

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Many years ago the family is having a nice meal of roast beef, mash potatoes, gravy and some veggies. I catch my sister's eye and quietly say Blackie sure tastes good. She agrees. My other sister, with a fork full of Blackie half way to her mouth stops and considers what I had just said. All of a sudden it dawned on her what 

was going down. She drops her fork and bursts into tears. 'Mission accomplished'. Today she is a meat eater but that night my Mom had to do some explainin. 

I had two cows I was raising for beef.......I named them yum and yumyum.  When we had dinner we'd always ask "is this yum or yumyum?"

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Yikes!  Antivaxxers aren't doing so well in Wisconsin.

"For every 100,000 fully vaccinated people in Wisconsin there were: •1,573.2 confirmed infections •18.5 hospitalizations •3.6 deaths

For every 100,000 unvaccinated, or not-fully vaccinated people there were: •4,746.4 confirmed infections •176.4 hospitalizations •50.8 deaths"

42 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Hana Horka: Czech singer dies after catching Covid intentionally

A folk singer from the Czech Republic has died after deliberately catching Covid, her son has told the BBC.

Hana Horka, 57, was unvaccinated and had posted on social media that she was recovering after testing positive, but died two days later.

Her son, Jan Rek, said she got infected on purpose when he and his father had the virus, so she could get a recovery pass to access certain venues.

The Czech Republic reported a record number of Covid-19 cases on Wednesday.

Mr Rek and his father, who are both fully vaccinated, both caught Covid over Christmas. But he said his mother had decided not to stay away from them, preferring instead to expose herself to the virus.

"She should have isolated for a week because we tested positive. But she was with us the whole time," he said.

Proof of vaccination or recent infection from the virus is required in the Czech Republic to gain entry to many social and cultural venues, including cinemas, bars and cafes.

His mother was a member of one of the oldest Czech folk groups, Asonance. She had wanted to catch Covid so there would be fewer restrictions on her movement, Mr Rek explained.

Two days before she died, she wrote on social media that she was recovering: "Now there will be theatre, sauna, a concert".

On Sunday morning, the day she died, Ms Horka said she was feeling better and dressed to go for a walk. But then her back started hurting, so she went to lie down in her bedroom.

"In about 10 minutes it was all over," her son said. "She choked to death".

Although she was unvaccinated, Jan Rek stressed that his mother did not believe in some of the more bizarre conspiracy theories about Covid vaccines.

"Her philosophy was that she was more OK with the idea of catching Covid than getting vaccinated. Not that we would get microchipped or anything like that," he said.

There was no point in trying to discuss the issue with her as it would just get too emotional, he added. Instead, he hoped that by telling his story he could convince others to get vaccinated.

"If you have living examples from real life, it's more powerful than just graphs and numbers. You can't really sympathize with numbers."

there are just way too many of these very sad cases of persons intentionally catching Covid and getting very ill and even passing.  Those who spread the dangerous misinformation about vaccines and therapeutics (like ivermectin) that don't work should be charged, tried, and put in prison.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

there are just way too many of these very sad cases of persons intentionally catching Covid and getting very ill and even passing.  Those who spread the dangerous misinformation about vaccines and therapeutics (like ivermectin) that don't work should be charged, tried, and put in prison.  

again, its why we need tougher mandates. Yes these folks will be mad, but they'll be alive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

Boris Johnson ending all covid restrictions in England. Hopefully the first domino to fall in the western world

CBC link not working for me

I can see us ending most restrictions for the vaccinated, but the unvaccinated (adults) will still have restrictions.  Restrictions for the unvaccinated (adults) will continue for a long time.