The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

JT isn't the only politician to catch Covid....again....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/republican-senator-who-led-the-push-to-end-mask-mandates-on-planes-and-public-transport-tests-positive-for-covid-19-for-the-3rd-time-in-a-year/ar-AAYs0l7?li=AAggNb9

Republican Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi tested positive for COVID-19 for the third time in a year on Monday.

"Today Senator Wicker received a positive result for COVID-19 after taking a required test," Wicker's communications director, Phillip Waller, said in a statement. "He will be expected to miss votes and committee business this week until he is able to return in person to the Senate."

Wicker, who is fully vaccinated, previously announced a positive test in February 2022 and in August 2021.

Before a judge appointed by former President Donald Trump struck down mask mandates for planes and other public transportation in April, Wicker led the push in the Senate to end it via legislation.

In March, he and Republican Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas and James Lankford of Oklahoma held a press conference in support of a joint resolution of disapproval sponsored by Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky that would've repealed the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) mask mandate on airplanes and public transportation. The TSA mandate was enacted by the Biden administration in January 2021 in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19. That resolution ultimately passed the Senate by a 57-40 vote, but was not taken up by the Democratic-controlled House.

At the press conference, Wicker argued that lifting the mask mandates on airplanes was long overdue. When asked by Insider exactly when he thought the mandates should have been lifted, Wicker said April 2021 — before vaccines were widely available and before the deadly Delta and Omicron waves — would have been the appropriate time.

He cited congressional testimony from a public health expert that noted that airplanes can filter out 99% of the particles that cause the disease. But that expert noted in that same testimony that the filtration should be utilized "in combination with face masks" and that declining to use both measures "will not provide the adequate protection required" to stop the spread of the disease.

"This has been a nonsensical rule at least for a year," declared Wicker at that press conference.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau seems to catch COVID as often as I catch my breath after a 10km run.  Maybe he needs to eat more salmon and take his vitamin d supplements...

Who would have thought that a job that involves a lot of international travel and meetings would increase the chances of contracting a highly contagious illness?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Who would have thought that a job that involves a lot of international travel and meetings would increase the chances of contracting a highly contagious illness?

Maybe if he practiced more social distancing and wore his mask more often he wouldn't get COVID every other week...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe if he practiced more social distancing and wore his mask more often he wouldn't get COVID every other week...

Social distancing works to protect oneself from disease, but masking it to protect others. 

Clearly, we had a lot of losers (antivaxxers) messing up the works for others.  They contracted Covid and ended up in our Vet clinics begging for dewormer.  

21 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Really? Everything I could find said 2.....:unsure:

This is his second confirmed COVID-19 infection after testing positive for COVID-19 in January.

The prime minister previously reported being exposed to the virus on two occasions: In March 2020, he went into a 14-day isolation after his wife Sophie Gregoire Trudeau tested positive for COVID-19, and in late December 2021 he announced he was testing regularly and self-monitoring after some members of his staff and security detail tested positive.

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Really? Everything I could find said 2.....:unsure:

Justin Trudeau tests positive for coronavirus again - CNN

He's had it twice already this year.  The other two times I am thinking he had to self isolate as his wife got COVID and someone else, so I don't think he actually tested positive those other times to be honest...

In any event, he should be more careful out there...

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Justin Trudeau tests positive for coronavirus again - CNN

He's had it twice already this year.  The other two times I am thinking he had to self isolate as his wife got COVID and someone else, so I don't think he actually tested positive those other times to be honest...

In any event, he should be more careful out there...

Soooo.....first you say that he's getting Covid "every other week", when in fact, he's had it twice......and now, you're saying that the he "should be more careful".....

Are you saying that he shouldn't have gone to the Summit of the Americas? Even though he is fully vaccinated and had no symptoms at the time? :unsure:

Are you sure you're not being just a tad biased here?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Soooo.....first you say that he's getting Covid "every other week", when in fact, he's had it twice......and now, you're saying that the he "should be more careful".....

Are you saying that he shouldn't have gone to the Summit of the Americas? Even though he is fully vaccinated and had no symptoms at the time? :unsure:

And then if he skipped those events he'd be called a coward by the freedumb folks.  There's just no pleasing some people.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Well we all should be more careful shouldn't we?  I don't think that is something we shouldn't strive for.

I never said he shouldn't have gone to the Summit.  Did any of the other leaders who went to the Summit contract COVID?  Maybe they were more careful than Trudeau and wore their masks and social distanced.  

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well we all should be more careful shouldn't we?  I don't think that is something we shouldn't strive for.

I never said he shouldn't have gone to the Summit.  Did any of the other leaders who went to the Summit contract COVID?  Maybe they were more careful than Trudeau and wore their masks and social distanced.  

I guess....but for some reason, you decided to single one person out. :unsure:

We all get it. Lots of people don't like Justin Trudeau, but I think this is a case of looking for a reason to criticize.....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I guess....but for some reason, you decided to single one person out. :unsure:

We all get it. Lots of people don't like Justin Trudeau, but I think this is a case of looking for a reason to criticize.....

This is getting dangerously close to the kind of thinking that leads to victim blaming for sexual assault.