The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canadian-warship-hit-with-covid-19-outbreak-ahead-of-overseas-deployment/ar-AAXfoD9?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=359675e3fe7f4487ae3bc9587aa9eff6

MCS Winnipeg is back home in Esquimalt, B.C., after seven sailors tested positive, only weeks before the ship is due to participate in a major training exercise and two overseas missions.

AAXfcc1.img?w=534&h=341&m=6

TTAWA — A Canadian warship has been hit with an outbreak of COVID-19 while preparing for an overseas deployment in the Pacific.

Those include assisting with the enforcement of United Nations sanctions against North Korea, which the Canadian Armed Forces has been doing since 2018.

Navy Lt. Pamela Hogan says the Winnipeg will remain docked in Esquimalt until mid-June, during which time sailors exhibiting symptoms will be required to self-isolate and not report to duty.

Hogan says the positive cases will not interfere with the frigate's planned deployment, as it had already been scheduled to remain in Esquimalt until mid-June.

The military says nearly 8,000 members of the Armed Forces have tested positive for COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, with 268 active cases reported earlier this month.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 13, 2022.

Edited by gurn

North Korea said it is suffering an explosive outbreak of 'fever' with 350,000 cases — just one day after announcing its first ever COVID case

• North Korea admitted Friday that it is suffering an "explosive" outbreak of a "fever."

• The announcement comes the day after the country shared news of its first ever COVID case.

• Six people have died from the disease since April. One of the dead tested positive for the Omicron variant.

North Korea said Friday that it is experiencing a massive outbreak of a "fever" with at least 350,000 cases, just 24 hours after claiming to have found its first ever case of COVID.

State-run media reported Thursday that the Omicron variant of COVID-19 had been discovered in Pyongyang on Sunday.

In response, the government launched a "maximum emergency epidemic prevention system," state media said.

However, the government announced Friday via the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) that the country was experiencing an "explosive" outbreak of a "fever" which has killed six people and infected 350,000 since April. One of the six people who has died had tested positive for the Omicron variant of COVID, state media said.

It added that 187,800 people are currently either being isolated or treated in hospital.

"A fever whose cause couldn't be identified spread explosively nationwide from late April," KCNA said.

North Korean supreme leader Kim Jong Un said that the outbreak showed a "grave sign of lapses in our anti-epidemic system," KCNA added.

Images broadcast by state TV on Thursday showed Kim wearing a facemask for the first time.

During the pandemic, experts feared a COVID-19 outbreak in North Korea would be devastating, especially as the country is one of only two countries in the world that are yet to start vaccinating their populations. The other is Eritrea.

After the the novel coronavirus began to spread across Asia in early 2020, North Korea shut its borders and committed to a zero COVID-19 policy. It only reopened its borders in January this year.

The pandemic has hit North Korea hard, even before it reported cases, with the border closure precipitating widespread food shortages.

In an attempt to try and solve the hunger crisis, state-run media reported in October that the government had started breeding black swans to be culled for food.

As the pandemic raged around the world, North Korea was vigilant in trying to prevent imported cases of COVID-19.

In July 2020, Kim locked down the entire city of Kaesong and issued a "top-class alert" after a person suspected of having COVID-19 snuck across the border from South Korea, according to state media.

In August, North Korea announced new hard labor punishments for anyone who met in groups of more than three people.

No vaccinations

Extremely limited ability to test

Terrible healthcare system

Large percentage of population malnourished

Basically a perfect storm for Omicron.

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

North Korea said it is suffering an explosive outbreak of 'fever' with 350,000 cases — just one day after announcing its first ever COVID case

• North Korea admitted Friday that it is suffering an "explosive" outbreak of a "fever."

• The announcement comes the day after the country shared news of its first ever COVID case.

• Six people have died from the disease since April. One of the dead tested positive for the Omicron variant.

North Korea said Friday that it is experiencing a massive outbreak of a "fever" with at least 350,000 cases, just 24 hours after claiming to have found its first ever case of COVID.

State-run media reported Thursday that the Omicron variant of COVID-19 had been discovered in Pyongyang on Sunday.

In response, the government launched a "maximum emergency epidemic prevention system," state media said.

However, the government announced Friday via the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) that the country was experiencing an "explosive" outbreak of a "fever" which has killed six people and infected 350,000 since April. One of the six people who has died had tested positive for the Omicron variant of COVID, state media said.

It added that 187,800 people are currently either being isolated or treated in hospital.

"A fever whose cause couldn't be identified spread explosively nationwide from late April," KCNA said.

North Korean supreme leader Kim Jong Un said that the outbreak showed a "grave sign of lapses in our anti-epidemic system," KCNA added.

Images broadcast by state TV on Thursday showed Kim wearing a facemask for the first time.

During the pandemic, experts feared a COVID-19 outbreak in North Korea would be devastating, especially as the country is one of only two countries in the world that are yet to start vaccinating their populations. The other is Eritrea.

After the the novel coronavirus began to spread across Asia in early 2020, North Korea shut its borders and committed to a zero COVID-19 policy. It only reopened its borders in January this year.

The pandemic has hit North Korea hard, even before it reported cases, with the border closure precipitating widespread food shortages.

In an attempt to try and solve the hunger crisis, state-run media reported in October that the government had started breeding black swans to be culled for food.

As the pandemic raged around the world, North Korea was vigilant in trying to prevent imported cases of COVID-19.

In July 2020, Kim locked down the entire city of Kaesong and issued a "top-class alert" after a person suspected of having COVID-19 snuck across the border from South Korea, according to state media.

In August, North Korea announced new hard labor punishments for anyone who met in groups of more than three people.

No vaccinations

The moment North Korea is being more transparent about covid than China...

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

No vaccinations

God, I hope that little leader they have asks for and accepts help.  

5 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

I lost my aunt a few weeks ago and one of my coworkers (28 years old) has been hospitalized for a week yet my store’s resident covidiot is still going on about how fake it is. Im really losing the last of my patience with these people 

Sorry to hear that.

5 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

I lost my aunt a few weeks ago and one of my coworkers (28 years old) has been hospitalized for a week yet my store’s resident covidiot is still going on about how fake it is. Im really losing the last of my patience with these people 

When they are spouting their nonsense, I generally wait until they say something blatantly stupid, then I point out clearly just how ridiculous what they just said was. They lose interest in talking to me very quickly, works like a charm.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Eric Clapton Has Covid, Cancels Shows; Guitarist Had Denounced Vaccine Protocols

43c3e26922c45253604c9c3f24ed6281

Eric Clapton, who last summer declared that he reserved the right to cancel performances at venues where audience members were required to show proof of Covid vaccination, has indeed canceled two shows, but for another reason: Clapton just tested positive for the coronavirus.

The announcement of the show cancelations in Zurich and Milan was made on Clapton’s official Facebook page last night.

“Eric Clapton is unfortunately suffering from Covid having tested positive shortly after the second concert at the Royal Albert Hall,” the post reads. He has been told by his medical advisors that if he were to resume traveling and performing too soon, it could substantially delay his full recovery. Eric is also anxious to avoid passing on any infection to any of his band, crew, Promoters, their staff and of course the fans.”

The performance in Zurich was scheduled for today, May 17, with Milan initially set for May 18. Clapton’s team says the guitarist hopes to resume the tour starting with the concerts in Bologna on May 20 and 21.

Clapton has been a prominent opponent of Covid protocols in the UK and the U.S., most notably the lockdowns and business closures enacted during the early days of the global pandemic. Clapton, who claimed last year that he experienced “disastrous” side effects – his hands and feet, he said, were “frozen, numb or burning, and pretty much useless for two weeks” – collaborated with singer Van Morrison in 2020 on the anti-lockdown song “Stand and Deliver,” which included the lyrics “Do you wanna wear these chains/ Until you’re lying in the grave?”

In his own song, “This Has Gotta Stop,” Clapton sang ” I knew that something was going on wrong/When you started laying down the law/I can’t move my hands…This has gotta stop/Enough is enough/I can’t take this BS any longer.” He subsequently subscribed to a conspiracy theory that vaccination was being encouraged through subliminal hypnosis and “mass psychosis.”

On his Facebook page last night, Clapton’s team wrote, “It is very frustrating that having avoided Covid throughout lockdown and throughout the period when travel restrictions have been in place Eric should have succumbed to Covid at this point in time, but we very much hope he will be sufficiently recovered by the end of the week to be able to perform the remainder of the planned performances.”

A further announcement will be made concerning the rescheduling of the postposed shows later.

Clapton recently announced North American tour dates for September, including stops in Columbus, Ohio; Chicago, Pittsburgh and two shows at New York City’s Madison Square Gardens.

39 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Eric Clapton Has Covid, Cancels Shows; Guitarist Had Denounced Vaccine Protocols

43c3e26922c45253604c9c3f24ed6281

Eric Clapton, who last summer declared that he reserved the right to cancel performances at venues where audience members were required to show proof of Covid vaccination, has indeed canceled two shows, but for another reason: Clapton just tested positive for the coronavirus.

The announcement of the show cancelations in Zurich and Milan was made on Clapton’s official Facebook page last night.

“Eric Clapton is unfortunately suffering from Covid having tested positive shortly after the second concert at the Royal Albert Hall,” the post reads. He has been told by his medical advisors that if he were to resume traveling and performing too soon, it could substantially delay his full recovery. Eric is also anxious to avoid passing on any infection to any of his band, crew, Promoters, their staff and of course the fans.”

The performance in Zurich was scheduled for today, May 17, with Milan initially set for May 18. Clapton’s team says the guitarist hopes to resume the tour starting with the concerts in Bologna on May 20 and 21.

Clapton has been a prominent opponent of Covid protocols in the UK and the U.S., most notably the lockdowns and business closures enacted during the early days of the global pandemic. Clapton, who claimed last year that he experienced “disastrous” side effects – his hands and feet, he said, were “frozen, numb or burning, and pretty much useless for two weeks” – collaborated with singer Van Morrison in 2020 on the anti-lockdown song “Stand and Deliver,” which included the lyrics “Do you wanna wear these chains/ Until you’re lying in the grave?”

In his own song, “This Has Gotta Stop,” Clapton sang ” I knew that something was going on wrong/When you started laying down the law/I can’t move my hands…This has gotta stop/Enough is enough/I can’t take this BS any longer.” He subsequently subscribed to a conspiracy theory that vaccination was being encouraged through subliminal hypnosis and “mass psychosis.”

On his Facebook page last night, Clapton’s team wrote, “It is very frustrating that having avoided Covid throughout lockdown and throughout the period when travel restrictions have been in place Eric should have succumbed to Covid at this point in time, but we very much hope he will be sufficiently recovered by the end of the week to be able to perform the remainder of the planned performances.”

A further announcement will be made concerning the rescheduling of the postposed shows later.

Clapton recently announced North American tour dates for September, including stops in Columbus, Ohio; Chicago, Pittsburgh and two shows at New York City’s Madison Square Gardens.

I'm a fan of his music, but I really believe they ought to remove the word "hand" from his nickname....

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

its sad how they like to parade their stupidity around. Whenever I see a Canadian flag hanging off a truck now, I just think "&^@#ing idiot". 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

its sad how they like to parade their stupidity around. Whenever I see a Canadian flag hanging off a truck now, I just think "&^@#ing idiot". 

Same. Yesterday, I saw a guy flying an Oilers flag....all I could think of was "Well at least he's not a stupid as an Anti-Vaxer"....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Same. Yesterday, I saw a guy flying an Oilers flag....all I could think of was "Well at least he's not a stupid as an Anti-Vaxer"....

You are assuming that he is not an anti-vaxer, because he is an Oilers fan. Not a very good assumption. I strongly suspect that many Oiler fans are anti-vaxers.

The province is riddled with anti-vax anti-mask Covid deniers, and half the provincial population are Oilers fans, so it is pretty much a guarantee.

21 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

It’s frustrating when life proves you were talking out of your ass, huh?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It’s frustrating when life proves you were talking out of your ass, huh?

If you got bad news
You wanna kick them blues
Cocaine
When your day is done
And you wanna run
Cocaine

She don't lie
She don't lie
She don't lie
Cocaine

If your thing is gone
And you wanna ride on