The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

25 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

And then this happened.....

Self-isolation 'no longer required' for people with COVID-19, BCCDC says

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/self-isolation-no-longer-required-for-people-with-covid-19-bccdc-says-1.6160687

Are vaccination levels high enough and effective enough that isolation isn't required? Such an announcement last fall would have brought a howl in public condemnation. Now it is crickets. I still where a mask in high public locations like the grocery store. Better safer than sorry?

My daughter tells us that kids with Covid are now allowed in the school. Their family is vaccinated but she still got a case of Covid that she is just recovering from. 

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Are vaccination levels high enough and effective enough that isolation isn't required? Such an announcement last fall would have brought a howl in public condemnation. Now it is crickets. I still where a mask in high public locations like the grocery store. Better safer than sorry?

My daughter tells us that kids with Covid are now allowed in the school. Their family is vaccinated but she still got a case of Covid that she is just recovering from. 

Everything is going around now.  Covid, flu, other respiratory viruses.  School attendance is way down because half the people are sick.  Literally.  Apparently my district had 50% attendance one day.  I've also heard from parents at my baseball winter clinics of elementary school classes with 7 kids in them.

This didn't happen last year but we were all masked...hmmm.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Everything is going around now.  Covid, flu, other respiratory viruses.  School attendance is way down because half the people are sick.  Literally.  Apparently my district had 50% attendance one day.  I've also heard from parents at my baseball winter clinics of elementary school classes with 7 kids in them.

This didn't happen last year but we were all masked...hmmm.

This may well be the rebound effect happening. For a couple of years Flu and cold symptoms were greatly reduced because many people were masked up. Their resistance to the flu and common cold waned because they were not being exposed to them like before. Now that masks are not being worn by a lot of people and esp. school children; their resistance to them has been lowered. Wife's sister in the Edmonton area says that absentee rates are around 13-15%. Her daughter, who is a Dr.told me that it is around 30% right now in our area and the hospital is very busy with sick adults and children

Scheduled my updated booster.  This will be my fourth shot - 1st dose, 2nd dose, booster, and then this one.  I'm not clear when I should be getting boosters and if this is a benefit, but I will make sure to ask the person administering my shot. I've had one known exposure to Covid and most likely many unknown exposures, and after the    known exposure, I had a cold, but I don't know if it was from Covid or me walking in the rain - I get sick after walking in the rain. 

On 11/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

And then this happened.....

Self-isolation 'no longer required' for people with COVID-19, BCCDC says

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/self-isolation-no-longer-required-for-people-with-covid-19-bccdc-says-1.6160687

That feels like a misleading headline.

The article says to self-isolate if you have symptoms.

• Vintage 1

Apparently they had to send the cops into an iphone factory in China to quele an uprising. I guess they have been trapped there due to the super isolationist policies in China that think that will stop the spread. Apparently more cities are going into lockdown, again.

I think unless you had a full on robot partrolled lock down like at the end of I Robot there's still going to be a spread (and who knows, maybe ambitious virus molecules manage to just circulate further than normal) then Covid still spreads.

Vaccination can lessen the effects, but if you use China and it's draconian policies that are still not working, it's apparent that nothing can stop Covid. Funny thing about nature, it finds a way to get things done. I have seen grass grow after being cut, covered in hot bitumen, and then covered with a layer of compacted asphalt two inches thick. It grew right through the pavement! 

In other words, it's nature that is tough, and people that are not as tough or as invincible as we think. So enjoy your time while you have it! 

I got my 4th shot / 2nd booster today.  I asked when I should be getting boosters - how long should I wait, that I was confused about how far apart I should be getting boosters.  They don't know, the person who administered my shot did not know and that no one really knows. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mj2345 said:

I went 9 months between boosters(got my first booster in January and 2nd booster in October) I could have got my 4th shot sooner but I decided waited for the Bivalent Omicron one

I went almost a year between boosters.  Last night the side effects were not great.  I had chills and aches and it was worse than my third shot.  The first time I was vaccinated - hardly no side effects. The second shot - some side affects.  The third shot - aches and chills.  This shot - many aches and chills.  Plus I got the Pfizer and the other times I got Moderna, so maybe that affected me with the aches and chills. But they say you can mix vaccinations such as getting Moderna and then Pfizer. 

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It finally got me. Though I gotta say it was pretty mild. Just badly congested for about 2 days and a little bit of a sore throat. No fever, no body aches, nothing to really complain about. Just an excuse to hibernate for 2 days. I guess getting vaxxed works.

Heard on the local news (NW I think) that BCCDC says 60% of us here have had Covid.  Or maybe I heard wrong?  But many who are vaccinated and boosted might not even know they had it, or suffer very mild symptoms.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard on the local news (NW I think) that BCCDC says 60% of us here have had Covid.  Or maybe I heard wrong?  But many who are vaccinated and boosted might not even know they had it, or suffer very mild symptoms.  

I don't know about 60% but I am sure a big percentage have had it and many had no idea. When I started to feel it coming on I did a test, that came back negative. So I assumed it was a flu. Couple days later I did another that was positive. So I did another one to make sure and it too was positive. If I hadn't done the last two I would have just assumed I had a cold and that was that.

Apparently big protests are happening all over China now, enough to make the business news....

COVID gets you sick.

Vaccines make you less sick.

COVID prevention policies SLOW the spread. They also make people crazy. And not ha ha crazy, not crazy like a fox, crazy crazy......