The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Most people who purposely avoid these vaccines are fools.  The hospitals wouldn’t be so busy if people were properly vaccinated.  

That’s no longer true Alf.  
The overwhelming majority of people are vaccinated. 
The people filling the hospitals are the old and already sick.  There aren’t many antivaxers in their 80s.  Lol.  
The unvaccinated at this point are only a problem to themselves. 

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

RIP Mr. Warhippy...   :sadno:

I think what scares people the most is they see these numbers and then worry about even leaving the house.  My sister hasn't left the house in 2 years.  She got bell's palsy years ago and now is scared sh*tless to get COVID because she thinks she is going to die.  She doesn't even let her son come to visit her unless he stays outside the house.

If the government was more transparent with the numbers and actually reported that most of these deaths are people in their 80's (I believe the average age of death is 86), and that over half of the deaths are from underlying conditions not related to COVID then more people I think would feel better about themselves and at least try and go out and have a life.  I feel sorry for my sister.  I've tried to help her as much as I can but she won't listen.  I blame the government for scaring her to death.

If you feel sick, then stay home and wear a mask if you need to go out.  Be up to date on your vaccines.  Most importantly, stop watching the news and try to enjoy life.  I believe a positive attitude helps your immune system as well as taking vitamin c, vitamin d and eating lots of salmon.  This is what I do and I haven't been sick at all since the pandemic started.

I don't have cable.  I don't watch the news anymore.  I flip through various news websites every few days to keep on top of things.

My dad was the highest possible risk category and the last 18 months of his life was spent at my brothers in an upper loft where he left maybe 3 or 4 times.  Prior to covid within a few short years he had suffered a couple heart attacks a stroke and a clot that caused compartment syndrome in his leg resulting in the amputation of it just above the knee.

To be honest the speed in which covid got him was merciful.

The elderly are still people.  Asking or forcing them to reside indoors in effective or essential imprisonment is shameful and something I have heard repeated a number of times.  They are the highest possible risk category, but the fuel of new variants etc are caused by the unvaccinated of which the science is effectively unanimous.  Would we then take that small minority of the population, healthy and obstinate and enforce their imprisonment until such time as the newest waves have subsided?  Or would we consider that inhumane?

The government has effectively been as open as they can be, but when the numbers pile up and the health care system is at the edge of collapse missing three or five verified CoD's and attributing them to covid based on pre-existing conditions is not exactly misconstruing the data so much as it is just making an educated guess.  When two young girls died of influenza related issues in our province every possible measure was taken to figure out why and what happened recently.  There is/was no mistaking what happened as they had no preexisting issues.

We can't live in fear, but we also can't live in ignorance.  Propaganda finds root in bias and fear, and ignorance loves the fertile ground that provides

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

The overwhelming majority of people are vaccinated. 
The people filling the hospitals are the old and already sick.

The unvaccinated at this point are only a problem to themselves. 

That...is absolutely positively untrue.  Not sure why you would feel the need to either make this unsubstantiated claim, or outright lie about this.  This is a combination of RSV, Influenza A and Covid driving the single largest demographic being children in to ICUs, Pediatrics departments across the country.  We are also seeing some of the highest rates of mortality with covid/influenza related deaths thus far since the pandemic started.

Hospitals still see a far overwhelming number of people being admitted/dying that are unvaccinated over those that are.  Why?  because the number of non vaccinated people are so small but still take up over 30% of all hospitalized cases.  Those numbers are absolutely damning in the face of your claim.

Unvaccinated people also tend to be the root cause of or progenitors of mutations.  With a number of the most recent covid related mutations being attributed to those pockets of unvaccinated individuals that tend to group within small areas/social events.

If you'd like to refute any of this by all means go ahead.  But there's literally zero point or reason for pushing out anything so blatantly false and easily refuted to begin with

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/massive-surge-of-sick-kids-could-force-hospitals-to-triage-care-er-doctor-1.6145700

As Ontario's children's hospitals struggle to handle a surge of new patients with viral infections, Pirzada says that's putting more strain on emergency rooms and could lead to patients being triaged -- a decision that will have impacts on adults.

"We will always take the child over an adult," Pirzada cautioned. "That's established protocol."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/we-are-so-overwhelmed-children-s-hospitals-across-canada-stretched-as-rsv-cases-flu-like-illnesses-spike-1.6139599

Coming down from the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, children’s hospitals across Canada are struggling to handle a new surge of young patients with viral infections in what pediatric health-care workers are calling their version of 2020.

Pediatric health-care professionals warn most children's hospitals are operating at or over 100 per cent occupancy, that emergency room wait times can be up to 24 hours and that some non-emergency surgeries are already being delayed.

One germ in particular, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), has especially stretched hospitals’ limits. RSV is a common childhood respiratory infection that normally results in cold-like symptoms which clear up after a week or two, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

However, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) warns severe cases of RSV may lead to hospitalization. RSV can also cause secondary bacterial infections, such as pneumonia. There is no vaccine for RSV nor any medication that clears up an infection, so care is normally centred on treating symptoms and secondary infections.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/hospital-for-sick-children-surge-covid-flu-rsv-1.6654303

The ripple effect of this latest surge is being felt across the hospital.

Last week, SickKids announced it was cancelling non-urgent surgeries. Staff are being redeployed to the emergency department and the pediatric intensive care unit, which is completely full with the sickest children getting care. 

"We're in a situation now where these children with breathing problems or what we call respiratory failure are so voluminous … that the only way we can continue to provide these kids with life-threatening illnesses the care they need is to pull resources from elsewhere and that unfortunately requires these kinds of difficult decisions," said Dr. Steven Schwartz, the hospital's chief of critical care medicine.

"This is, to an extent ... our COVID in pediatrics."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-kids-hospitals-rsv-infections/

As a neonatologist at BC Children’s Hospital and co-chair of a provincial program dealing with respiratory syncytial virus, Pascal Lavoie knows exactly how many cases of RSV are reported in the province.

In an average year, B.C. sees 1,450 cases of the common virus, which usually infects all children by the time they reach the age of two. But during the first full winter of COVID-19 in 2020-2021, with extensive public-health restrictions in place, there were only five.

Dr. Lavoie saw similar trends in Australia and the United States. However, in the summer of 2021, a major resurgence of RSV infections in those countries sent many children to hospital well before the usual fall onset of the virus.

In an article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal in July, 2021, Dr. Lavoie and two colleagues warned that an upswing of RSV infections “could stretch resources in pediatric intensive care units across Canada.”

The prediction came true. Last year, BC Children’s Hospital reported nearly three times the usual number of RSV infections in kids under 3. Other provinces, such as Alberta, also had a higher-than-usual number of RSV-related hospitalizations.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-hospitals-asked-to-admit-teenage-patients-to-adult-icus-1.6136901

Ontario hospitals are being urged to admit teenage critical care patients to adult intensive care units to help create capacity at children's hospitals seeing a surge in pediatric ICU patients.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That...is absolutely positively untrue.  Not sure why you would feel the need to either make this unsubstantiated claim, or outright lie about this.  This is a combination of RSV, Influenza A and Covid driving the single largest demographic being children in to ICUs, Pediatrics departments across the country.  We are also seeing some of the highest rates of mortality with covid/influenza related deaths thus far since the pandemic started.

Hospitals still see a far overwhelming number of people being admitted/dying that are unvaccinated over those that are.  Why?  because the number of non vaccinated people are so small but still take up over 30% of all hospitalized cases.  Those numbers are absolutely damning in the face of your claim.

Unvaccinated people also tend to be the root cause of or progenitors of mutations.  With a number of the most recent covid related mutations being attributed to those pockets of unvaccinated individuals that tend to group within small areas/social events.

If you'd like to refute any of this by all means go ahead.  But there's literally zero point or reason for pushing out anything so blatantly false and easily refuted to begin with

I’ll start with, that was a great post Hippy. 
It was a little much and trying to dispute things that weren’t said, but it was a great post.  

94% vaccinated in BC. 
so yeah, like I said, the overwhelming majority is vaccinated. 

Yes, everyone is getting sick right now.  
My wife, my 6 year old daughter and I have covid right now.  

No one is denying everyone is going to the hospital right now.  All ages. 
BUT 

Stats are showing that people over 80 have been the most affected.  Death wise and hospitalizations. 
But yeah, no one is denying it’s hitting kids hard as hell right now too. 

You also grouped in RSV and influenza with covid……which obviously has nothing to do with what I was talking about….

And yes, antivaxers are dummies and not helping the situation, but at this point, 5% of the population isn’t going to be driving the issues.    Diseases mutate, with or without vaccines.   
Im vaxed, but I’ve had it 4 times.  I’m sure my body has had a hand in the mutations too.  Lol.  Kinda like the other 94%+

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

" mostly old folk dying"

I check my calendar, and realize; that my parents, their brothers,  sisters, and friends are being casually written off.:picard:

This forum has seen better days. :(

No one said it’s a good thing, Gurn.  
Stats are stats. 
No one is writing anyone off. It’s all very sad and unfortunate. 
Im worried as hell about my mom lately as she has a bunch of lung and kidney issues. 

If you want to facepalm anyone, facepalm covid.  It’s the one doing it.   

image.png.931e75498a477f25d86f9a04c5ee782e.png

Wishful thinking by this gold digging lawyer IMO. I very much doubt that this class action lawsuit will proceed. Whether we agree or not about the Covid response; the government does have the authority to mandate health safety protocols in the interest of public safety.

"In BC for example you've got two pieces of legislation, your Emergency Programs Act, and that's the act under which you've got an emergency declared that brings into force all sorts of extraordinary powers. You've also got a Public Health Act and your Provincial Officer of Health issued a notice which allows some extraordinary public health powers to kick in under your public health legislation". 

This above quotation was taken from a Rule of Law Matters podcast - part two (www.lawsociety.bc.ca/our-initiatives/rule-of-law-and-lawyer-independence/rule-of-law-matters-podcast/covid-19-and-the-rule-of-law-part-2/)

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Wishful thinking by this gold digging lawyer IMO. I very much doubt that this class action lawsuit will proceed. Whether we agree or not about the Covid response; the government does have the authority to mandate health safety protocols in the interest of public safety.

"In BC for example you've got two pieces of legislation, your Emergency Programs Act, and that's the act under which you've got an emergency declared that brings into force all sorts of extraordinary powers. You've also got a Public Health Act and your Provincial Officer of Health issued a notice which allows some extraordinary public health powers to kick in under your public health legislation". 

This above quotation was taken from a Rule of Law Matters podcast - part two (www.lawsociety.bc.ca/our-initiatives/rule-of-law-and-lawyer-independence/rule-of-law-matters-podcast/covid-19-and-the-rule-of-law-part-2/)

Even section one of the Charter says there are limits. 

1 The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

We are not the only country or jurisdiction that has limits.  There are countries that have similar provisions.  

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/rfc-dlc/ccrf-ccdl/check/art1.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/12/2022 at 12:56 PM, D.B Cooper said:

It was a little much and trying to dispute things that weren’t said, but it was a great post.  

94% vaccinated in BC. 

BUT 

Stats are showing that people over 80 have been the most affected.  Death wise and hospitalizations. 

You also grouped in RSV and influenza with covid……which obviously has nothing to do with what I was talking about….

And yes, antivaxers are dummies and not helping the situation, but at this point, 5% of the population isn’t going to be driving the issues.    Diseases mutate, with or without vaccines.   
Im vaxed, but I’ve had it 4 times.  I’m sure my body has had a hand in the mutations too.  Lol.  Kinda like the other 94%+

I'm trying a new thing where I am not just flying off the handle and trying to think responses through.  It's weird.

I won't comment anymore on the science about it.  It's above my pay grade.

All I know is that young kids are dying from things and whatever is rolling around in whatever various forms are absolutely decimating kids and young adults and it aint pretty.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'm trying a new thing where I am not just flying off the handle and trying to think responses through.  It's weird.

I won't comment anymore on the science about it.  It's above my pay grade.

All I know is that young kids are dying from things and whatever is rolling around in whatever various forms are absolutely decimating kids and young adults and it aint pretty.

Hi Hip. Where has Jimmy gone? Missing his posts. 

I was at my grandson's hockey practice the other night. 12 kids 10 years old and they were mostly listening to their coaches. Imagine. Great to see. 

On 12/12/2022 at 12:56 PM, D.B Cooper said:

94% vaccinated in BC. 

BUT 

You do realize it's the influenza virus that is the biggest issue affecting the hospitals right now, right?  The old school flu shot isn't being taken by the majority of the population.  So no, the overwhelming majority is not vaccinated against the flu this year.  In fact, the number is around 30% of the population. 

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/b-c-officials-provide-update-on-flu-vaccinations-1.6192193

• There it is 1

High hospital rates is going to be a thing for the next 20 years unfortunately. We have large percentage of the population entering the age of retirement and beyond. Unless the younger population wants to open up their wallets and increase taxes significantly, this issue wont be going away any time soon. The common flu is not something that is suppose to require a visit to the hospital for young healthy individuals, most cases should be able to be treated with fluids and medication. We have sicks days, higher vaccination rate, and practice avoiding viruses. Covid is a different animal though, and should still be treated with great caution. Although this strain should not result in a hospital visit for the majority of the population as well.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

You do realize it's the influenza virus that is the biggest issue affecting the hospitals right now, right?  The old school flu shot isn't being taken by the majority of the population.  So no, the overwhelming majority is not vaccinated against the flu this year.  In fact, the number is around 30% of the population. 

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/b-c-officials-provide-update-on-flu-vaccinations-1.6192193

Too many foolish people not getting their flu vaccine.  It’s friggin’ free and easily accessible too!  No hospital care for the flu or Covid for those who refuse to get vaccinated.  Stay home and sweat it out.  Tape an aspirin to your forehead and cross your fingers.  Do whatever; just have the courage of your convictions and stay away from the hospitals.  Except for kids of foolish parents, of course.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yrs I do realize that, and we aren’t talking about the flu homie.  
That just adds to the point I was making. 
cheers

On 12/9/2022 at 4:12 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

When ignorance and stupidity become life threatening :picard:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/09/asia/baby-w-surgery-scli-intl-wellness/index.html

When you see someone downplaying Covid disinformation, show them this story about how a baby almost died, because the parents are morons......and likely would have, had the courts not stepped in.....

That kid should be taken away from those parents.  Permanently.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Too many foolish people not getting their flu vaccine.  It’s friggin’ free and easily accessible too!  No hospital care for the flu or Covid for those who refuse to get vaccinated.  Stay home and sweat it out.  Tape an aspirin to your forehead and cross your fingers.  Do whatever; just have the courage of your convictions and stay away from the hospitals.  Except for kids of foolish parents, of course.  

:lol:

9 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

image.png.931e75498a477f25d86f9a04c5ee782e.png

Can we ship these loser “horsey dewormer paste eating” idiots to Alberta?