The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

17 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Have also been the largest importer of illegal animal goods and wildlife trafficking in the world for years.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Agreed! While i understand / appreciate different cultures eating different animals (and using the whole animal), there needs to be a line drawn, especially when some of these animals carry some of the diseases they do. I needs to be made illegal! 

5 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I don't want to click on the links cause it will gross me out.

How long have they been eating these strange animals? is it part of their heritage to eat bats etc? just curious. I wouldn't be as critical if they have been eating these animals forever. If they're still looking around like "hmm...wonder how that salamander tastes raw, prepared on a dirty table?" then that's another story in the modern era.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

All I see is some trucks, no mention of what they are doing. For all anyone knows they could be going after gypsy moths.

I live in Wuhan. Those trucks are always used in China. They are to put moisture in the air, which then collects most/all of the dust in the 50 meters near the surface. Helps reduce air pollution and cleans the air, after which point they then use street sweepers to clean the road.

Nothing insidious with that video at all - just water....

Edited by Canadian
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, Canadian said:

I live in Wuhan. Those trucks are always used in China. They are to put moisture in the air, which then collects most/all of the dust in the 50 meters near the surface. Helps reduce air pollution and cleans the air, after which point they then use street sweepers to clean the road.

Nothing insidious with that video at all - just water....

Thanks for the info.

The above video is dated 2017 for reference. 

People just seem to readily post anything that they don't know and say it's a conspiracy.  Just like that stupid bat video which was really from somewhere else.  It really is frustrating to sort out the truth from all the lies.

Edited by BPA
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Let's face it, guys....we can't really condemn a country for eating "weird" animals as we eat...animals.  Who's to determine weird or not?  I find it weird that people eat cute bunnies.

I have a hard time with this one...pointing a finger because beliefs don't align with our own.

Mad cow disease comes from ... cows.  Foie gras...wth?  Chickens.  Pigs.  How do we define "weird"?

So it's time to rethink "meat" and call it what it really is...flesh.  With the state of the world and how animals are being bred and fed to be "bigger/better" with hormones and steroids and what not...it's hard to find a reason to really indulge at all.  So many options are becoming available and, especially as we learn about global warming and the meat industry, it's a reason to rethink things.  Ticking time bomb.  Not preaching...I still "indulge" myself every now and then...but am leaning further and further away from meat.  It's inhumane, cruel and just getting to be nasty.

Although those "meat markets" are disgusting and vile...so are slaughterhouses.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Let's face it, guys....we can't really condemn a country for eating "weird" animals as we eat...animals.  Who's to determine weird or not?  I find it weird that people eat cute bunnies.

I have a hard time with this one...pointing a finger because beliefs don't align with our own.

Mad cow disease comes from ... cows.  Foie gras...wth?  Chickens.  Pigs.  How do we define "weird"?

So it's time to rethink "meat" and call it what it really is...flesh.  With the state of the world and how animals are being bred and fed to be "bigger/better" with hormones and steroids and what not...it's hard to find a reason to really indulge at all.  So many options are becoming available and, especially as we learn about global warming and the meat industry, it's a reason to rethink things.  Ticking time bomb.  Not preaching...I still "indulge" myself every now and then...but am leaning further and further away from meat.  It's inhumane, cruel and just getting to be nasty.

Although those "meat markets" are disgusting and vile...so are slaughterhouses.

Just the facts please...I'm pointing the finger here..Blood splattered walls, unhygienic conditions, and the ignorant consumption of exotic wildlife... are precisely the reasons why China is a breeding ground for these epidemics.

These have to be regulated.

"Coronaviruses are zoonotic diseases, meaning they spread to people from animals. Because wet markets put people and live and dead animals — dogs, chickens, pigs, snakes, civets, and more — in close contact, it can be easy for a virus to make an interspecies jump.

"Poorly regulated live-animal markets mixed with illegal wildlife trade offer a unique opportunity for viruses to spill over from wildlife hosts into the human population," the Wildlife Conservation Society said in a statement on Thursday.

In the case of SARS, and probably this coronavirus outbreak too, bats were the original hosts. They then infected other animals via their poop or saliva, and the unwitting intermediaries transmitted the virus to humans."

Edited by Honky Cat

China total coronavirus cases to 34,564. Death toll 722.

Sat 8 Feb 2020 05:50:35 GMT

National Health Commission updates the totals as of end February 7.

• Jan 17: 41
  • Jan 19: 62
  • Jan 20: 201
  • Jan 21: 291 
  • Jan 22: 440
  • Jan 24: 830
  • Jan 25: 1,287
  • Jan 26: 1,975
  • Jan 27: 2,744
  • Jan 28: 5,974
  • Jan 29: 7,711
  • Jan 30: 9,692
  • Jan 31: 11,791
  • Feb 1: 14,380 (number of dead across the country 304)
  • Feb 2: 17,205 (number of deaths 361)
  • Feb 3: 20,438 (death toll 425)
  • Feb 4: 24,324 total cases, 490 deaths
  • Feb 5: 28,018 (death toll up by 73, now 563)
  • Feb 6: 31,161 (up 3,143), death toll is 636 (up 73)
  • Feb 7: 34,564. Deaths now at 722

Totals are for mainland China.

The toll in Wuhan now includes a citizen of Japan and of the US.

Aboard the Princess Diamond, moored in Yokahama under quarantine the total number of cases is now 64, from 61 yesterday.

14 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Just the facts please...I'm pointing the finger here..Blood splattered walls, unhygienic conditions, and the ignorant consumption of exotic wildlife... are precisely the reasons why China is a breeding ground for these epidemics.

These have to be regulated.

"Coronaviruses are zoonotic diseases, meaning they spread to people from animals. Because wet markets put people and live and dead animals — dogs, chickens, pigs, snakes, civets, and more — in close contact, it can be easy for a virus to make an interspecies jump.

"Poorly regulated live-animal markets mixed with illegal wildlife trade offer a unique opportunity for viruses to spill over from wildlife hosts into the human population," the Wildlife Conservation Society said in a statement on Thursday.

In the case of SARS, and probably this coronavirus outbreak too, bats were the original hosts. They then infected other animals via their poop or saliva, and the unwitting intermediaries transmitted the virus to humans."

Exactly! There's a big difference between here & there. 1) the types of animals 2) the types / severity of the diseases / viruses 3) the laws, regulations &  handling of these animals. 

To say don't condemn them for these issues is ridiculous!! This has been a issue forever and they've continued to do so knowing it is. It has been the source of multiple serious outbreaks.

Now, that doesn't mean everyone there...just the people doing so and the government for allowing it / not regulating it!

27 minutes ago, IRR said:

Exactly! There's a big difference between here & there. 1) the types of animals 2) the types / severity of the diseases / viruses 3) the laws, regulations &  handling of these animals. 

To say don't condemn them for these issues is ridiculous!! This has been a issue forever and they've continued to do so knowing it is. It has been the source of multiple serious outbreaks.

Now, that doesn't mean everyone there...just the people doing so and the government for allowing it / not regulating it!

It's the Chinese government fault for allowing these "wet markets" to exist.  They didn't learn from SARS.  Hopefully they will learn this time 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, BPA said:

It's the Chinese government fault for allowing these "wet markets" to exist.  They didn't learn from SARS.  Hopefully they will learn this time 

There's a lot of talk that the "wet market" story is BS. I normally pay little attention to them, but when A US senator is pushing them it gets a little attention.

For those interested in a little off the wall stuff.............

Canadian Scientist At Center Of Chinese Bio-Espionage Probe Found Dead In Africa?

Update (1135ET): It seems that Mr. Plummer made a habit of getting the biological material he was working on "stolen," as we found a report from 2009 in the Winnepeg Free Press that details the theft of 22 vials of biological material was "confirmed by scientific director Dr. Frank Plummer."

Plummer, allegedly, alerted authorities to the missing material on the same day a former vaccine researcher was arrested by FBI special agents after U.S. Customs discovered the vials stuffed in a glove in the trunk of his car at the Manitoba-North Dakota border crossing.

Some of the vials included genes from the deadly Ebola virus, but local scientists say the material is not infectious.

But more than a week after the theft came to light, police said no one from the lab has reported the incident.

Plummer has said the researcher signed a form declaring he did not steal anything from the lab and understood he was not allowed to. The national lab does not conduct searches of staff when they exit the lab and does not routinely take inventory of the thousands of vials containing non-infectious biological substances.

However, court documents allege the former researcher stole the vials on his last day of work at the virology lab in January because "he did not want to start his research over from the beginning when he entered into his next fellowship" with the National Institutes of Health at the Biodefense Research Laboratory in Maryland.

All very curious.

According to CBC, Plummer, 67, was in Kenya, where he was a keynote speaker at the annual meeting of the University of Nairobi’s collaborative centre for research and training in HIV/AIDS/STIs.

Dr. Larry Gelmon, who helped set up that meeting, said Plummer collapsed and was taken to hospital in Nairobi, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

No confirmed cause of death has yet been released.

Plummer was born and raised in Winnipeg, where he headed up Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory for several years.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/canadian-scientist-center-chinese-bio-espionage-probe-found-dead-africa

There is considerable chatter that this virus was stolen from a lab in Winnipeg. FWIW

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2020 at 2:29 PM, Honky Cat said:

During the 20th century, tens of millions died of famine in China.

Every animal under the sun was eaten during those periods.

Legacy of famine still lingers on after all these years.

On 2/9/2020 at 3:35 AM, nuckin_futz said:

There's a lot of talk that the "wet market" story is BS. I normally pay little attention to them, but when A US senator is pushing them it gets a little attention.

For those interested in a little off the wall stuff.............

Canadian Scientist At Center Of Chinese Bio-Espionage Probe Found Dead In Africa?

Update (1135ET): It seems that Mr. Plummer made a habit of getting the biological material he was working on "stolen," as we found a report from 2009 in the Winnepeg Free Press that details the theft of 22 vials of biological material was "confirmed by scientific director Dr. Frank Plummer."

Plummer, allegedly, alerted authorities to the missing material on the same day a former vaccine researcher was arrested by FBI special agents after U.S. Customs discovered the vials stuffed in a glove in the trunk of his car at the Manitoba-North Dakota border crossing.

Some of the vials included genes from the deadly Ebola virus, but local scientists say the material is not infectious.

But more than a week after the theft came to light, police said no one from the lab has reported the incident.

Plummer has said the researcher signed a form declaring he did not steal anything from the lab and understood he was not allowed to. The national lab does not conduct searches of staff when they exit the lab and does not routinely take inventory of the thousands of vials containing non-infectious biological substances.

However, court documents allege the former researcher stole the vials on his last day of work at the virology lab in January because "he did not want to start his research over from the beginning when he entered into his next fellowship" with the National Institutes of Health at the Biodefense Research Laboratory in Maryland.

All very curious.

According to CBC, Plummer, 67, was in Kenya, where he was a keynote speaker at the annual meeting of the University of Nairobi’s collaborative centre for research and training in HIV/AIDS/STIs.

Dr. Larry Gelmon, who helped set up that meeting, said Plummer collapsed and was taken to hospital in Nairobi, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

No confirmed cause of death has yet been released.

Plummer was born and raised in Winnipeg, where he headed up Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory for several years.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/canadian-scientist-center-chinese-bio-espionage-probe-found-dead-africa

There is considerable chatter that this virus was stolen from a lab in Winnipeg. FWIW

bull $&!#.  I don't care if people hate China, but this is fake news at it's finest.  The virus was mapped out and originated from bats, similar to sars, which the virus also came from bats.  another smear campaign from the Americans to attack the Chinese.

• Upvote 1