The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

39 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

this is from yesterday? or the day before ?

the usa stats are so troubling

they are exploding exponentially

the daily increases are astronomical

they are currently 20x canada (should only be 10x)

and this will get much much worse down there

Shouldn’t surprise you that a good number still thought the virus was just a left wing hoax.  And can you blame them when guys like Lou Dobbs are the ones putting forward that line of thinking?  I’m not sure even large numbers of victims succumbing to the disease will change their minds.  Or they’ll just blame it on the Kenyan.  VP is probably telling his acolytes to just pray it away as Jeebus will protect them.  Acting like nothing is wrong just spreads the contagion further.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

VP is probably telling his acolytes to just pray it away

Things I ponder, while I have extra time.

If you believe in God and believe you are going to a better place, what is your incentive to stay home?

Are churches closed, and if so why? Won't God take the ones he wants?

If Churches are closed should they lose their religious tax exemptions?

I can just imagine my thoughts and thinking after another month or so of seclusion.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

If you believe in God and believe you are going to a better place, what is your incentive to stay home?

I can just imagine my thoughts and thinking after another month or so of seclusion.

I watched a movie (can't remember the name) about six months ago. The premise was that a guy had confirmed there is life after death somehow.

And because of that, many people started committing suicide for a number of different reasons including they thought the after life would be better than their current life. Your thoughts made me remember the movie --> it was mediocre at best.

Edit: it was called The Discovery.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Scaring people into thinking that 4% of people who get it die is not the right thing to do at this time.

letting people think that only .0004% are going to get sick is a lot worse than telling  them 4.25% are going to die, though.

Especially when the 4.25% numbers is a factual number, derived from the number of people that HAVE tested positive and the number that HAVE died.

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

Edited by gurn

47 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I have had the symptoms for a week. Called 811 twice and they WILL NOT test unless you answer "yea" to knowing someone who already tested positive and you had direct contact with them. Ridiculous.

Then the rules were changed a bit and some emergency services workers were supposed to be able to get tested. I again called and they told me for a third time they would not test me. Pathetic. And I have co-workers in the same position.

So yes, I have proof from my own and my co-workers situations that the government and medical system were totally unprepared for this and either are short on tests or short on staff to perform those tests.

The general consensus (from my sisters-in-laws which work at the hospitals) is that if you do not have difficulty breathing then you do not have Covid-19.  So I guess that's good news for my sister and her family (crossed fingers that it's just regular cold/flu).

They will not test unless you have flu like symptoms and difficulty breathing. 

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

The general consensus (from my sisters-in-laws which work at the hospitals) is that if you do not have difficulty breathing then you do not have Covid-19.  So I guess that's good news for my sister and her family (crossed fingers that it's just regular cold/flu).

Yeah...that is the problem. They should test those with flu symptoms because we already know 80% of people will only have those minor symptoms.

Because of the lack of tests, many emergency services workers are now having to self isolate for 14 days and taking themselves out of the group of people that can help during these times.

Does that not seem like a major flaw in how Doc Bonnie is responding?  And as more and more people get covid, which will happen, more and more emergency services workers will be off for at least 2 weeks further reducing the help out there.

Pathetic response by our health system and Bonnie imo.  Emergency services workers having to self isolate should be getting tested immediately so that those that don't have covid can get back to the critical work in only a few days and not 2 full weeks.  As stated, it is either because we are not prepared and do not have enough tests or do not have enough people to administer the tests.

I don't know which of those problems has occurred, but I believe we probably have too few tests. That is just not good enough from our top doctor. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

I don't mean to disrespect your family members who have dedicated themselves to the medical industry, and my heartfelt gratitude go to all those like your family members standing on the frontline.

But many health experts have already refuted things like the "10-second test" and many people who have tested positive do not show many breathing related symptoms at all.

I feel it's dangerous to pass along false hope as it leads to asymptomatic people negligently passing it onto others.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Because of the lack of tests, many emergency services workers are now having to self isolate for 14 days and taking themselves out of the group of people that can help during these times.

Does that not seem like a major flaw in how Doc Bonnie is responding?  As more and more people get covid, which will happen, more and more emergency services workers will be off for at least 2 weeks further reducing the help out there.

Do you have a link to what you have just typed out?

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

letting people think that only .0004% are going to get sick is a lot worse than telling  them 4.25% are going to die, though.

Especially when the 4.25% numbers is a factual number, derived from the number of people that HAVE tested positive and the number that HAVE died.

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

The number of confirmed cases and the total number of cases are two different things. There could be twice as many for all we know.

So no that is not a factual number when using it to determine “death rate”. And any expert would tell you that.

People should have a healthy amount of fear right now, that’s the only way people will act. But people on social media and the media itself need to be responsible in what they report. Not going to help the situation by spreading misinformation.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

1. It is viewed as sin to take your own life, some sects of Christianity even see it as unforgivable, although I vehemently disagree with that. Life is good in that God declared it good, and ending it would be wrong. The topic of suicide/life/being created in the image of God is a huge topic in Christian theology and entire libraries have been written on it. The incentive to stay home, in a nutshell, to bring glory to God by the way you continue to live. Its a good question though, one I hadn’t thought very much about previously. 
2. churches have closed their buildings because, believe it or not, we so think scientific research is a thing, as we do take health seriously. Although the buildings have closed their doors, it is important to note that the church is not a building it is a group of people. There is no magical power in a building. Most churches are doing online sunday meetings, and most are also serving their communities by offering different ways to support people in need during the quarantine period (practical things like getting groceries, sharing supplies that are in demand, etc) 

3. i don't follow the train of thought here. Churches (as a whole, I understand there are some major outliers who do take advantage) do not operate like a business and are not looking for profits. As far as serving communities, The churches are simply adapting and finding new ways to service the community. There’s a learning curve right now, and some are quicker to adapt than others (reflection on leadership abilities within the individual churches - not just pastors but members as well). 

Edited by Cpt.Clutch

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

Do you have a link to what you have just typed out?

A link for what exactly?

Myself (an emergency services worker) and many co-workers I know are now in self isolation. I have to be away from work for 14 days as I have a fever, cough, and sore throat. I tried to get tested via calling 811 three times and was told no.  Therefore, I cannot get back to work.

What link do you need?

Edited by Kanukfanatic

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

A link for what exactly?

Myself (an emergency services worker) and many co-workers I know are now in self isolation. I have to be away from work for 14 days as I have a fever, cough, and sore throat. I tried to get tested via calling 811 three times and was told no.

What link do you need?

Do the folks at 811 know you are a health care worker? If yes, I would hazard a guess that they are so short of test they are saving the few test for those in the higher risk group-ie old folk and pre-existing condition folk.

AS more tests become available I'd think you will then be tested.

1 minute ago, Kushman said:

Is it safe to go out for a run so long as you avoid crowded places / keep distance from people?

I feel like I'm turning into a vegetable 

you should be going out daily imo. I tend to go earlier morning and in the evening after dinner when close to sunset. Been out mid day but don't go to the stores or busy areas.

People need to live their lives still, but stay at home a lot more and not gather with friends and family in person.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Do the folks at 811 know you are a health care worker? If yes, I would hazard a guess that they are so short of test they are saving the few test for those in the higher risk group-ie old folk and pre-existing condition folk.

From my knowledge of people working in a hospital setting they are only testing people who are showing ALL the symptoms, or damn near all of them. They don't have the ability to test every person who may have it or is just flat out paranoid about getting it due to sitting at home watching the news and reading all sorts of FAKE info that is getting put out right now

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Yes they know. I told them on the 2nd and 3rd calls. She would not outright say they don't have enough tests but that is certainly how it sounded.

I hope you are correct and that it happens very soon so we can get back to work to help out co-workers as more and more are having to self isolate.