The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

He's too busy congratulating himself on the wonderful job he is doing. 

Wtf... no kidding. 80% of these public updates are a nothing more than a cheap fluff job.

That speech from Trump was a complete diaper fire.... “the private industry is stepping up.“ “Which means the federal government won’t have to do as much”... cowardice piece of sh!t. 

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea I don't like JT much either.

He's doing alright though not easy.

No Chris, he’s not doing alright. He’s not doing alright at all. Obama, Bush Jr., Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan and Carter are Presidents.

This.... “thing” is an effin joke.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

No Chris, he’s not doing alright. He’s not doing alright at all. Obama, Bush Jr., Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan and Carter are Presidents.

I believe he was referring to Trudeau.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I was referring to our PM. Don't follow the US at all. Can't comment on them. 

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 2

Quebec has banned gatherings of more than 2 people. Punishable by $1,000 fine. 

Manitoba

17 cases of Covid. 16 not serious

They told people to socially distance

They placed a 500k fine on businesses that didn’t obey the order

They placed a 50k and up to 6 months in jail fine for people who broke the order.

For the last 2 days Manitoba has had ZERO cases...

They say 12 more days and they will have flattened the curve entirely...

They are also not coastal. So it may be easier to shut down than an International hub.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Sellers of Medical Masks in park fined in POCO:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6715338/coronavirus-poco-medical-masks-selling/

Despicable.  Should be thrown in jail.

Wow.

That park is not too far from where I live. Hmmm I wonder if walking over to the park and beating their ass giving them a good talking to would be considered an essential break from quarantine.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I was referring to our PM. Don't follow the US at all. Can't comment on them. 

Have you watched Trudeau?

He has been beyond Stately. He’s handling great.

Can we close a 2 billion dollar a day border on a dime? No. It takes time.

If you’re Canadian and stranded somewhere else in the world, should they be forgotten? They’re Canadian. They hold a Canadian passport. What if it were you and your family?

He is asking the private sector to come together and start manufacturing medical

equipment. 

All national motions for wartime is on the table if needed. They will be needed.

Trudeau is doing great for us all.

How are your hands? Did you wash them?

THAT. is more concerning.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 2

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

Wow.

That park is not too far from where I live. Hmmm I wonder if walking over to the park and beating their ass giving them a good talking to would be considered an essential break from quarantine.

It would be hilarious to buy all masks or whatever they are selling from a supplier and post up right next to them and donate them to people in need.

Completely undermine them.

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Just now ....

Reporter : "Have you had any contact with the Senators who are now in isolation?"

Trump : "Which ones are in isolation?"

Reporter : "Paul, Lee, Gardner, Cruz, Romney"

Trump : "Romney's in isolation? Gee that's too bad."

Great time for his stand up routine. Fiddling while Rome Burns.

That thing is missing a HEART.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Have you watched Trudeau?

He has been beyond Stately. He’s handling great.

Can we close a 2 billion dollar a day border on a dime? No. It takes time.

If you’re Canadian and stranded somewhere else in the world, should they be forgotten? They’re Canadian. They hold a Canadian passport. What if it were you and your family?

He is asking the private sector to come together and start manufacturing medical

equipment. 

All national motions for wartime is on the table if needed. They will be needed.

Trudeau is doing great for us all.

How are your hands? Did you wash them?

THAT. is more concerning.

cracked af.

I guess we agree? Like I said this isn't easy.

• Cheers 2

Things getting heated down south:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/desperate-and-angry-state-leaders-push-back-on-trump-admin-claims-of-mass-mask-shipments/ar-BB11xNcr?ocid=spartandhp

"

Governors, mayors and front-line health care workers confronting rising numbers of critically ill coronavirus patients said Sunday they have not received meaningful amounts of federal aid, including the shipments of desperately needed masks and other emergency equipment that administration officials say they have already dispatched.

As the crisis spreads, Congress was planning a rare Sunday procedural vote as it moved toward a deal on a third coronavirus aid package. Containing both broad economic stimulus measures and direct help for American families, it could pass the Senate as early as Monday.

Advertisement

The pressure on hospitals in hard-hit areas was mounting, and several Democratic governors demanded a more coordinated national response to get supplies as fast as possible to where they are needed most critically.

“We are desperate,” New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy told ABC Sunday morning. “We've had a big ask into the strategic stockpile in the White House. They've given us a fraction of our ask.”

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer echoed that urgency, saying her state’s hospitals are dealing with about 800 confirmed cases of the virus — up from only one just 12 days ago — and are struggling with serious shortages of both test kits and protective equipment for medical workers. The shortages have forced hospitals to adopt risky practices like reusing masks and having staff wear bandanas when no mask is available.

A lack of personal protective equipment puts medical personnel at greater risk of becoming infected or placed in quarantine, exacerbating hospitals' existing staff shortages.

“We’ve got to have those masks,” Whitmer said. “Had the federal government really started focusing when it became clear that the whole world was going to be confronting this, we would be in a stronger position right now ... Lives will be lost because we weren’t prepared.”

President Donald Trump tweeted that a "very small group" of governors "shouldn't be blaming the Federal Goverment for their own shortcomings. " He said the federal government is "there to back you up should you fail, and always will be!"

The main hospital association said there are still crucial gaps in the supply line.

"There is a supply. Many people have them, but there's a gap and we're going to need more," Richard Pollack, the CEO of the American Hospital Association, told CBS. "If we don't protect our health care workers, the system will completely collapse."

Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Peter Gaynor, whose agency was not activated to run the pandemic response until Friday, painted a more optimistic picture in Sunday morning appearances on ABC and CNN. He said masks and other equipment in the Strategic National Stockpile are well on their way to states — particularly hard-hit areas like Washington, California and New York.

“They have been distributed. They've been distributed over the past couple of weeks. They're shipping today. They'll ship tomorrow,” Gaynor told ABC. “We are shipping from our national stockpile, we're shipping from vendors, we're shipping from donations. It is happening.”

Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at NIH, offered similar assurances on CBS' "Face the Nation."

"The resources that are being marshaled are going to be clearly directed to those hot spots that need it most," he said. "So not only is New York trying to get resources themselves, but we're going to be pouring it in from the federal government. So it would be a combination of local and federal. But it's very, very clear that they are a very high priority."

But Gaynor and other administration officials sidestepped repeated questions on exactly how many masks were being shipped and when they would be in the hands of doctors and nurses who need them.

“I can't give you a rough number,” he said in another interview on CNN, adding that governors should not depend on federal disbursements and should try on their own to obtain masks and other equipment.

“If you find it on the market, go ahead and buy it. FEMA will reimburse you for it,” he said. “This is a shared responsibility.”

Several governors pushed back, warning that pitting states against one another, the federal government, and other countries in a bidding war on the private market is no way to respond to a pandemic that requires a coordinated national response to obtain and allocate emergency goods.

“It’s a wide, Wild West…out there,” Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker said of his attempts to obtain supplies. “And indeed we’re overpaying, I would say, for [personal protective equipment] because of that competition.”

"We need the federal government to get us those test kits,” Whitmer agreed. “We need PPEs. And frankly a patchwork strategy of each state doing what they can is — we’re going to do it if we have to, but it would be nice to have a national strategy.”

Governors, congressional lawmakers and mayors continued to plead with the White House over the weekend to use the powers of the Defense Production Act to speed up manufacture of masks, ventilators and other scarce supplies as many hospitals say they’re set to run out within days.

President Donald Trump tweeted Sunday morning that he has given a handful of car companies "the go ahead" to make ventilators and other unnamed "metal products" for hospitals, but gave no indication of a timeline or quantity. Converting factories from making cars to making medical equipment cannot happen immediately, and could take several months. In the meantime, hospitals need immediate help.

“We've gotten no indication of any factory on 24/7 shifts. We've gotten no shipments,” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said on NBC. “I can’t be blunt enough: If the president does not act, people will die who could have lived otherwise.”

De Blasio also called on the president to mobilize the military's health care workers to immediately deploy to coronavirus hot spots like his own city.

"All military personnel who are medically trained should be sent to places where this crisis is deep, like New York, right now," he said. "Why are they at their bases? Why are they not being allowed to serve? I guarantee you they're ready to serve. But the president has to give the order."

Though Trump signed the defense act last week, Gaynor confirmed that the administration has yet to use it to order any companies to manufacture more products. He suggested such a step wasn’t necessary as companies are already stepping up.

“We haven't had to use it, because companies around the country, donations, they are saying, ‘What can we do to help you?’ And it's happening without using that — that lever,” he said. “If it comes to a point where we have to pull the level, we will.”

Both in private calls with the White House and in public interviews, lawmakers are insisting that time is now.

“We cannot wait until people start really dying in large numbers to start production, especially of more complicated equipment like ventilators and hospital beds,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) told CNN. “We need to start this production right now to get ready for the surge that is coming in two to three weeks.”

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It would be hilarious to buy all masks or whatever they are selling from a supplier and post up right next to them and donate them to people in need.

Completely undermine them.

I'd just steal theirs and donate it to people in need. I don't think any jury on this planet would convict someone of theft for that.