The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

That has to be somewhat humiliating to the worker who served him that coffee. I get it we need to take precautions but this is brutal. Guys a muppet who should brew his own joe at home. Don’t forget to spray down your Keurig. 

If I were the worker I may have to refuse the guy service next time, would remember their face after something like that happening. front line workers really feeling the heat during this time. 

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I got that sense as well. I’m hopeful that Canada may be able to manage this pandemic better than other countries have, and am hopeful that we adopt as much of South Korea’s methodologies as possible. 

i am less confident about other areas of canada though

alberta is getting hit hard and fast.... my brother was here 10days ago from there

he knew little about the virus

and he is well connected politically there (he has run provincially there)

i warned him the whitecaps game he was hoping to go to would be cancelled

he was surprised and did not agree - it was

the numbers there are going up fast and furious now

i suggested to him he start following the updates here

if the alberta leadership was less reliable

the situation in quebec is also going along a totally different trajectory

that province is very worrisome in my view

i think we have to let a bit more time go by

but i do not think the approach in canada has been equal among the various provinces

so far ontario does seem to be on a reasonable path though

3 hours ago, samurai said:

I would imagine.  Good for you.  You have highly valued skills.   I see your location is PG.  I was born and raised there and now live in Tokyo.   Still have a lot of PG in my soul.  You can take the boy out of PG, but you can't . . . 

That explains a lot of your past posts. 

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

It all depends on what level of essential service you are from my understanding.  Can you not say no saying you do not feel the work is safe?

I work in the service side of a car dealership. I checked the list of businesses on the essential list and was shocked to see car dealerships. I guess we have to keep peoples cars going while they stay home. Now I'm not front line myself but that doesn't mean I have no contact with them. We have taken measures to limit direct human contact as much as possible as well and have a good supply of anti-bacterial wipes. We've split into two crews in service, parts, and techs. The 'A team' works Mon-Wed and the 'B team' Thur-Sat. So we've all cut back one 10 hr shift per week per person. That way if one person gets the virus only half the staff is affected. But truthfully I was hoping for a shutdown when the "essential service only" came. And it will. Just not for us.

I previously worked at a downtown hotel that shut down last Sunday. Apparently hotels are also on the essential service list. They closed because occupancy is low with people travelling less and felt their staff was at high risk regardless of the number of travellers. It begs the question though: will they have to re-open if the government makes the call for essential services only. Restaurants are on the list as well but only for take out and delivery.

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

That explains a lot of your past posts. 

Ha ha - yeah the North has it ways good and bad. I knew John Cooper as a kid.  (current Tampa coach and PG kid).  Was a wonderful guy and a hell of a lacrosse player.  He played with Tony Twist another PG kid.  

• Cheers 1

Good news!!

My wife co-worker who has Covid-19 (on the road to recovery) most likely did not infect the office since no other staff exhibit symptoms. 

Bad news!!!

Not enough testing kits (limited supply).  BC testing only healthcare workers and acute cases.  So likely higher infection rates than what is reported.  But self isolation seems to be working at limiting hospital visits (so hospital staff can focus on more serious acute cases of Covid-19).

6 hours ago, spur1 said:

We didn’t even have TV. Watching the kerosene lamp flicker as the North wind blew through the cracks in the wall was somewhat entertaining. :unsure:

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Nope. But when I grew up TV's had channels 2 to 13 and not even all those had a network broadcasting on them. A far cry from 100+ channels now available. No youtube, or internet, or netflix or even DVD's. No computers, or X-box or playstations etc. We played cards, boardgames, and read books when weather was crap. With all the home entertainment aternatives today I have no problem staying home and I live alone.

The simpler and more respectful days

When our rabbit eared tv was on the fritz, we would watch the Etch a Sketch, (till the vertical hold went on it as well)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

Wuhan denying virus tests to keep numbers down'

Pretty much expected that this is happening, anyone remotely familiar with the CCP would know this is how they would do things.

Slow down testing to keep numbers dropping, encourage citizens abroad to come home for protection as the virus spreads worldwide, then use state media to boast their success in subduing the virus locally meanwhile blaming new numbers on "imported" cases.

Lockdown for Hubei has been removed, expect 2nd wave to hit soon. But CCP state media for the past week or so has been going full steam with spewing BS and looking everyone to blame but themselves. First they tried to blame the US stating the virus was brought in by US Army. Now they shifting to Italy by taking a sentence from Italian Prof. Remuzzi out of context to suggest that the virus was already circulating in Italy in November before it showed up in China.

I wish more people can read Chinese to truly see the BS they put out there. Makes my blood absolutely boil.

• Thanks 1